harbor freight trencher/backhoe

6acres

Equipment
BX 2200D, 4' bush hog, 4' box blade, HF backhoe?
Oct 5, 2011
tangipahoa,la.
Tomorrow will be 7 weeks .... still no trencher, Plenty excuses.
It is supposed to be on the truck this Wednesday, if not I call corporate.....
:(:confused::eek:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
About 35 years ago I bought an L185DT with a K650 3-pt backhoe. Kubota put a bar across the 3-pt lift arms to prevent the backhoe from raising up when you were digging down. Didn't work. The bar ended up bending my lift arms. So I made support bars from the 3-pt arms back up to the top link. That fixed the backhoe to the tractor.
The tractor weighed about 1850 lbs. The backhoe another 800 or so. I had filled rear tires. I put dualies on it. The hubs for the dualies added another 50+ lbs per side. And I put 210 lbs of wheel weights per side. The backhoe could still pick up and toss about the rear end of the tractor.
Now I use the backhoe on my L3200. The tractor weighs about 2600 lbs, plus filled R4 tires - 400 lbs per side, plus 140 lbs of wheel weights per side. The backhoe still picks up the tractor regularly.
Hydraulics have amazing power. Unless you have soft soil, the hoe is going to toss you around mercilessly. When you attach it to your 3-pt, be ready for surprises, and build a whole lot heavier than you think is enough.
Send pictures! Let us know how it all works out!

6acres

Equipment
BX 2200D, 4' bush hog, 4' box blade, HF backhoe?
Oct 5, 2011
tangipahoa,la.
Just an update, I seem to have lost my last post.
I was told at first it would be in a couple of days, then two weeks, then it was coming from another store, then it was sold at the other store before it could be shipped, then there was none in the country
It is going on 11 weeks now, they told me it would be in last Friday, didn’t happen….
:mad:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Just an update, I seem to have lost my last post.
I was told at first it would be in a couple of days, then two weeks, then it was coming from another store, then it was sold at the other store before it could be shipped, then there was none in the country
It is going on 11 weeks now, they told me it would be in last Friday, didn’t happen….
:mad:
I have heard of this same scenario when ordering replacement parts from Harbor Freight.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd be pretty pissed and demand my money back or I would be getting the BBB involved. That might get Harbor Freight moving into gear. 11 weeks is unacceptable.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Several years ago I built a Caddigger, using plans and a kit. It is very similar to the Harbor Freight unit. The trick to digging with these is not to try to force the bucket straight down, but to reach out and scrape back toward the machine. You kind of "pinch" the dirt between the bucket and the dirt behind it. It is easy to lift the back of the machine once the hole gets deeper and you start pulling up against the back of the hole. That's where lots of counterweight helps.
On the Caddigger, the tow wheels are moved from front to back, depending on whether you are towing or digging. It's easy to maneuver using the bucket when you are digging, just push down to lift the out riggers, then push forward or back and swing side to side if need be.

Good luck with yours, it should work well for small jobs.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A friend of mine owned it and had asked me to do some work on it, mostly fixing a couple of hyd leaks. While I had it at my house he mentioned that he might sell it when I got done working on it. I made him a offer of $5500 and I eat the parts bill for the work I had already done which at the time was about $300.

Long story short I got a 99 model BC 325 with 1900 hrs for $5800. I thought I did well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know what you mean. Normally I get there just in time for the leftovers, this time I was the first one in line.