Guns...Times have changed...

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I remember a number of years ago when it first made the news: Two neighbors in a larger city found themselves on the opposite side of the second amendment.

The one person, in order to shame his neighbor, first put up a yard sign condemning him for being a gun nut and having a house with guns.

A few days later, that neighbor responded with his own yard sign pointing out his view on the neighbor's accusations. His sign was pretty much like this one:
Gun Rights Sign.jpg

After a few days, the anti gun neighbor had second thoughts about his action and asked if both signs could be taken down!

I couldn't find the original article and pictures of their signage.

Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
And some folks want to give 16 year old's the right to vote. Guess which ones.
Only 57% of the eligible voters voted in 2020. It was pretty close to 50/50 as far as parties.
That means 25 % of the eligible voters choose who got into office.
As a country we pretty much suck at voting.
I would rather see the other 43% come out and vote before dropping the age to 16.

Funny as it may be. At 17 I was a honor roll athlete and stubborn conservative !!!

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
If
So, someone can buy a rifle but not a beer at age 18? Yeah, makes sense. Most of the school shooters are less than age 21. I was hunting at age 12, but my dad bought the guns and we went hunting together.
If we raise the firearms age to 21, we should raise the voting age to 21 as well.

• Love

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So you can die and kill for your country in a far off land but not be considered an adult.
This has always been a paradox. You can be in military and not be able to buy a beer.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
So you can die and kill for your country in a far off land but not be considered an adult.
My thoughts, if we make 21 y/o an adult, then they can't be drafted till 21.

I agree with you in principal, that we can't ask the 18 y/o to be an adult, but then not give them the rights of the adult.

So, whatever age is agreed upon, then everything shifts to that age, draft, drinking, voting, etc.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
From one scooter bum to another, what you trying to say mike
I know not what I say, BUT
There may be very fast computers that scan the net 24/7 looking for key words and phrases. If it gets a hit it returns to dig deeper. If nothing hits the algorithm the computer moves on. The forum operators would never ever see the activity. Every key stoke you make is stored somewhere and an online sign on is not secure.
So what I am saying is that a computer does not know the difference between sarcasm, a joke, or a threat.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
There may be very fast computers that scan the net 24/7 looking for key words and phrases. If it gets a hit it returns to dig deeper. If nothing hits the algorithm the computer moves on. The forum operators would never ever see the activity. Every key stoke you make is stored somewhere and an online sign on is not secure.
So what I am saying is that a computer does not know the difference between sarcasm, a joke, or a threat.
Conspiracy nonsense

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Conspiracy nonsense
This technology exists. Microsoft power automate (flow) has the capability to scan business applications (Teams, outlook, etc..) for "negative" speech and flag it. There are companies who specialize in developing AI bots that do similar things used in business environments. If it's used and available in business environments, then the tech is likely being used in non-business environments as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK I got you,, yeah I worked for the man for more years than I care to remember. And back in the day their were programs that listened for words and phrases and encrypted lines of data,,, all way above my knowledge and pay grade. And before that ( early to mid 70s) Ma Bell had a lot of things that were run by some agency , I never had clearance to work on that equipment.

I figure that all the stuff I heard about have been junked for newer and faster programs, back then it was predator, and carnovar , God only knows whats out there now.
And yes Big Brother is listening everywhere

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Conspiracy nonsense
You know, if the NSA was monitoring and collecting data illegally on hundreds of thousands of Americans there would be a whistleblower somewhere with the guts to out them. Perhaps they were also monitoring Angela Merkel.
That whistleblower is still running for his life. Snowden.
The government labeled him a traitor and most people never read what was published before they condemned him.
That was almost a decade ago. Imagine their power now. Then add in the almost unlimited power of the Patriot Act.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This technology exists. Microsoft power automate (flow) has the capability to scan business applications (Teams, outlook, etc..) for "negative" speech and flag it. There are companies who specialize in developing AI bots that do similar things used in business environments. If it's used and available in business environments, then the tech is likely being used in non-business environments as well.
Neither you or I are important enough for the government to waste time or care about. As a government employee, it’s always comical to me when I hear about conspiracies. No two agencies of the government will work together and everyone has different ideas on how to do things. And only the most important threats to security is of concern.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I say let’s get a volunteer to test this out. Be sure to also include ‘this is a test’ in your post, which could also qualify you for the special butter-flavored Crisco lube.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Neither you or I are important enough for the government to waste time or care about. As a government employee, it’s always comical to me when I hear about conspiracies. No two agencies of the government will work together and everyone has different ideas on how to do things. And only the most important threats to security is of concern.
Well I thought that until the DEA showed up at my house.

The short version, it was our anniversary, I took the day off, and wife still had to go to work. She headed outside and she came running back into the house saying some lumber jack looking guys blocked her in the driveway with a pickup truck and they said they were the police. (We only have one officer that drives a truck in our town and we know him and have shot with him on several occasions.)

Grabbed the pistol, stuck it in my back of pants and went out to investigate. Sure enough, they had the house surrounded with unmarked vehicles and men in just regular clothes. They were from the DEA, which they had to provide me with ID and badges since they were wearing none.

My wife had ordered 500 empty pill containers and the equipment to make her own moringa pills, along with the moringa.

They had the order form from Amazon showing what we had ordered. They proceeded to explain to me how it was used to make illegal drugs. I proceeded to explain to them it was not. We hit an impasse and I motioned to the wife to open the door and get me her moringa pill making stuff (at this point she was really confused because she had been watching, but couldn't hear what was going on since I wouldn't let them inside the fence). She brought it all out and they could see that it was covered in green and I told them they could taste it if they wanted. They declined and left.

They never searched or asked me if I was armed nor did they realize the wife had grabbed the AR and was inside the door watching out to make sure I was okay.

Sad part is if they would of just knocked on the front door, my wife would of talked their ear off and probably invited them in for coffee, and showed them how to make moringa pills.

Yet instead their approach just about got us all in trouble.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Was there a warrant provided?
No warrant hence the fact that didn't get past the gate. If they wanted to come in, they were going to show a warrant. Still don't fully understand how they had the order from Amazon, my guess either something in the Patriot Act or part of the user agreement with Amazon.

The funny part to us, we have multiple law enforcement/fire/EMS friends that we spend time with and have had in our house many times. When we relayed the story to them, they all got a good kick out of it and figured if anyone was to ever raid my house it would be the ATF. They started joking with us and said they were all mad because we never gave them any of the good stuff when they are over visiting, we would just offer them Pepsi and apple pie with ice cream. (We don't drink alcohol, hence we were the designated hay ride driver and transport home for the fall bonfires for EMS/Fire parties.)

The reality of it, if they had just knocked on the front door, identified themselves, we would of had them come in and see the wife's little table that she had setup to make her moringa pills.

Yet, when you show up at my house the way they did, I'm not mister friendly. The two officers who I spoke with were both very friendly, but heaven forbid if my wife had started screaming outside and there were those two guys in our driveway. The outcome could of been very different.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
No warrant hence the fact that didn't get past the gate. If they wanted to come in, they were going to show a warrant. Still don't fully understand how they had the order from Amazon, my guess either something in the Patriot Act or part of the user agreement with Amazon.

The funny part to us, we have multiple law enforcement/fire/EMS friends that we spend time with and have had in our house many times. When we relayed the story to them, they all got a good kick out of it and figured if anyone was to ever raid my house it would be the ATF. They started joking with us and said they were all mad because we never gave them any of the good stuff when they are over visiting, we would just offer them Pepsi and apple pie with ice cream. (We don't drink alcohol, hence we were the designated hay ride driver and transport home for the fall bonfires for EMS/Fire parties.)

The reality of it, if they had just knocked on the front door, identified themselves, we would of had them come in and see the wife's little table that she had setup to make her moringa pills.

Yet, when you show up at my house the way they did, I'm not mister friendly. The two officers who I spoke with were both very friendly, but heaven forbid if my wife had started screaming outside and there were those two guys in our driveway. The outcome could of been very different.
It was probably Bezos regretting he hadn’t gotten your wife onto the Amazon Subscribe-n-save plan😁

• Haha

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Was there a warrant provided?

I don't know the DEA, but the IRS didn't need no warrant they just showed up and raided the place. Held 12 of us execution style lined up along the front entrance, facing away from the "agents". No warrants, no attorneys, no way to call any of them, ,didn't even know who they were for a couple hour. The YouTube documentary that Jan Morgan did was accurate in almost every detail.

• Wow