Guns...Times have changed...

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
Of course, but the vast majority of those deaths are accidents or suicides. It's still unacceptable, and preventing the unsupervised access of firearms by children is critical.

That said, you lose credibility and trust when you misrepresent data, or manipulate it in a way to serve an agenda.
A good portion of “child” deaths by firearms is mutual combat by juvenile criminals/gangs, using a firearm obtained illegally.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A good portion of “child” deaths by firearms is mutual combat by juvenile criminals/gangs.
There's no question that firearms deaths are different for different ethnic groups with one particular group more affected than others. Going after the non-criminal causes such as suicides and accidents should be the first step in terms of reducing child mortality from firearms, and it would involve preventing or limiting access to those firearms for that group. Not hard to do at all and something that doesn't need more laws, just education and responsibility on the part of parents. There should be a national campaign addressing the safe storage and use of firearms.

Here's a source for firearms related deaths and injuries that might be helpful.

Last edited:

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
There's no question that firearms deaths are different for different ethnic groups with one particular group more affected than others. Going after the non-criminal causes such as suicides and accidents should be the first step in terms of reducing child mortality from firearms, and it would involve preventing or limiting access to those firearms for that group. Not hard to do at all and something that doesn't need more laws, just education and responsibility on the part of parents. There should be a national campaign addressing the safe storage and use of firearms.

I have read that before.
DOJ has other data that points to the root causes being embedded in urban criminal culture.
The data is what it is and generally points to urban crime and violence driving the numbers. In my mind the solution lies in not hampering the criminal justice system With arbitrary rules and guidelines.
77E28CD7-63C4-4AF1-B188-AC9F8FE05033.jpeg

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan

So I have some old data that is still relevant in 2022 with the original topic. I contend it is not all doom and gloom, and most of what the media tells is is hyperbole that is constantly skewed in one direction.
Over the last fifty years firearms enthusiasts have made great strides to the endeavor of preventing firearms accidents. The NRA deserves most of the credit, even though the responsibility falls on all gun owners. This plays out in the fight for our rights and is never reported. These facts work to support the “right to keep and bear arms” and debunk the claims of detractors.
You cannot argue that the population has increased. And you have to admit there are more guns than ever. But nobody talk about the decline in unintentional (accidents) death rate by firearms?

The numbers below represent those taken by me this a few years back from the CDC database.

unintentional death rate by firearms

Year...........Deaths.............Rate per 100,000

I'm sure there are variables that can cut this up, but those are the numbers.
While the anti's constantly tout the dangers of guns and the millions of guns in America, they fail to recognize the decline in deaths by firearms accidents. That decline was achieved by Hunter Education and other programs brought by the NRA

The Second Amendment never was the problem. AR pattern rifles were never the problem. I would suggest instead of raising the age to buy a rifle we should try raising better kids.
Keeping Wilbur in South Dakota from owning an AR15 does nothing to stop the deaths from urban gun battles in Chicago.

I'm off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So I have some old data that is still relevant in 2022 with the original topic. I contend it is not all doom and gloom, and most of what the media tells is is hyperbole that is constantly skewed in one direction.
Over the last fifty years firearms enthusiasts have made great strides to the endeavor of preventing firearms accidents. The NRA deserves most of the credit, even though the responsibility falls on all gun owners. This plays out in the fight for our rights and is never reported. These facts work to support the “right to keep and bear arms” and debunk the claims of detractors.
You cannot argue that the population has increased. And you have to admit there are more guns than ever. But nobody talk about the decline in unintentional (accidents) death rate by firearms?

The numbers below represent those taken by me this a few years back from the CDC database.

unintentional death rate by firearms

Year...........Deaths.............Rate per 100,000

I'm sure there are variables that can cut this up, but those are the numbers.
While the anti's constantly tout the dangers of guns and the millions of guns in America, they fail to recognize the decline in deaths by firearms accidents. That decline was achieved by Hunter Education and other programs brought by the NRA

The Second Amendment never was the problem. AR pattern rifles were never the problem. I would suggest instead of raising the age to buy a rifle we should try raising better kids.
Keeping Wilbur in South Dakota from owning an AR15 does nothing to stop the deaths from urban gun battles in Chicago.

I'm off my soapbox now.
I wish you had one more column, Intentional Deaths by Firearms.

For no reason other that curiosity. Not arguing that progress has not been made in the unintentional side.

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
I wish you had one more column, Intentional Deaths by Firearms.

For no reason other that curiosity. Not arguing that progress has not been made in the unintentional side.
My interest at the time was determining the effectiveness public firearms safety training. I was advocating for passage of a law to provide basic firearms safety training in schools and needed to know what I was talking about. I was quite surprised by the data.
We are a nation of arms. It is one of our most basic civil rights And the cornerstone of our national security. IMHO firearms should be mainstream in American life and safety training taught at every level. The data proves that it can be done at a minimal cost with a maximum benefit.
It would not be hard to reduce deaths by firearms without forsaking our Second Amendment rights.

I looked through some stuff to see if their was something I could easily put together. I think you could garner those statistics from that time period here.

091C7C49-0D59-4E6F-A2B7-F340E66F3AC1.jpeg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was watching the end of the spelling bee contest and got to thinking wouldn't it be interesting to have a study on how those youngsters lived. Their family make up, their habits, rituals, hobbies, family expectation, participation in electronic games, sports, etc.

Then have a similar study of all the ones who have committed mass shootings. Discover the differences. Then modify the behavior of one group to get closer to the outcome of the positive group.

I bet guns are not the real issue, only the results of "no family support" !

Reactions: 4 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I was watching the end of the spelling bee contest and got to thinking wouldn't it be interesting to have a study on how those youngsters lived. Their family make up, their habits, rituals, hobbies, family expectation, participation in electronic games, sports, etc.

Then have a similar study of all the ones who have committed mass shootings. Discover the differences. Then modify the behavior of one group to get closer to the outcome of the positive group.

I bet guns are not the real issue, only the results of "no family support" !
So, If you find the winners come from families that are not gun owners you are going to give up your guns?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
So, If you find the winners come from families that are not gun owners you are going to give up your guns?
Though you folks wanted to ban "assault rifles" not guns.. sheesh make up your mind.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Though you folks wanted to ban "assault rifles" not guns.. sheesh make up your mind.
Poster said " Discover the differences. Then modify the behavior of one group to get closer to the outcome of the positive group. "

I put out a simple difference between the groups. The poster said to modify one behavior to get closer to the "better" behavior. I did not say anything about the differences between weapons. It was meant to show that you can not make a broad statement about modifying groups.

If the spelling b winners would be shown to be from families of non-divorced parents do we then make divorce a bad thing.

• Haha

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Motionclone,
You just accidently justified my first response, that if the b winners have no guns the other group should have no guns.
Please, I am just commenting on the suggestion of group modification. It is not feasible .
I do not care what you have in your gun cabinet.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sadly, murder is never good anywhere it occurs. Yet, when talking about gun violence, everyone says the US is the worst, which we know it is not.

Here is an article of an attack that occurred today and it wasn't in the US.

Evil is everywhere in the world and it takes good men to stop it.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmmm according to 'Table 1', get rid of 'blacks' and you get rid of 52% of the killings, get rid of the whites, you get rid of another ;) 45% of the killings....that's 97% of the problem solved.....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
When I moved from the US to Canada they took my guns and made me go to Gun school and then gave me my guns back. At the time I was a little upset but I have to say I learned quite a bit at gun school and have to say that if everyone had to take a class and pass a test to own a gun a lot of the gun issues may be resolved. The instructor may be able to tell if the person wanting to own a gun wants to own it for reasonable reasons or if they are insane

Last edited:

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
My interest at the time was determining the effectiveness public firearms safety training. I was advocating for passage of a law to provide basic firearms safety training in schools and needed to know what I was talking about. I was quite surprised by the data.
We are a nation of arms. It is one of our most basic civil rights And the cornerstone of our national security. IMHO firearms should be mainstream in American life and safety training taught at every level. The data proves that it can be done at a minimal cost with a maximum benefit.
It would not be hard to reduce deaths by firearms without forsaking our Second Amendment rights.

I looked through some stuff to see if their was something I could easily put together. I think you could garner those statistics from that time period here.

View attachment 81339
Where are the Hispanics in the offender data?