Guns...Times have changed...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Good points, to a point. Bad guys are going to do bad things plain and simple. There are enough firearms laws onthe books, that "should keep the guns out of the bad guys hands".
But that does not happen, WHY ? Stolen firearms, straw purchases, smuggled, yes I said smuggled. Well how can that be? If one looks to how much illegal drugs are smuggled into this country every day , does anyone with half a brain think firearms are not being done the same way. You say you were an LEO, then you should know of what I speak. No my friend, it is not the firearm. It is the failing of the judicial system. When you were a kid and got caught with your hand in the cookie jar you were punished. If a person know there is no real punishment's for their actions if they get caught, well then just rock n roll!
And leave us say, in an Orwellian move, all firearms are banned tomorrow and taken out of the hands of the general population. How long before the bad guys will get new firearms, not very long I would say. Like I said bad people are going to do bad things, and if they cant get a gun, then use a truck, a car, beer bottles filled with gas, a stick, the list goes on. Punish the bad guys, in case of murder 13 steps, a short drop and a sudden stop, chain gangs. Enforce the laws, as they were intended, and a lot of problems go away... Just MHO you understand
Skeets, is there anything in the post you quoted you disagree with? I think you're just rewording what he said, or do you want to carry a bigger more effective stick to law breakers?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If I remember correctly, New York banned any magazine capacity more than 7. This happened after the Sandy Hook murders. This includes .22 rifles and pistols.
The Buffalo shooting is one more example of criminals not following the law. Criminals, by definition, do not follow the law.
I'm sure the 7 round ban will stop a criminal from acquiring a larger capacity weapon. 😜🤪😜🤪😜🤪

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
If I'm incorrect on this please post it here, but......

The NY '7 round' legislation unintentionally 'handcuffed' all LEO's b/c there was no LEO exemption built into the wording of the 'act'....:oops:

The 'problem' was quickly rectified, and the round count changed to 10 as well. :unsure:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did you get any Walleye whilst trying to retrieve your guns?

Just heard this morning fatty signed something to ban ghost guns in Illinois.
From what I gather, any gun without a serial number has to be registered in the next 4 months or something like that.
Glad I don't have any of those. I wouldn't register and would be a felon, along with a whole bunch of others
I'm sure people will be lining up to register those guns 👍👍👍👍

At a later date those that did show up and register their unserial number guns will have someone knock on their door to come and collect them like they did in California with AR rifles. And good luck getting reimbursed. And if no proof of sale, it's not in your possesion, they will probably throw the book at you.

Better off to keep silent, plead ignorant, and avoid the list.

Reactions: 2 users

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
If I'm incorrect on this please post it here, but......

The NY '7 round' legislation unintentionally 'handcuffed' all LEO's b/c there was no LEO exemption built into the wording of the 'act'....:oops:

The 'problem' was quickly rectified, and the round count changed to 10 as well. :unsure:
LEO both active and retired are exempt from the safe act

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

Magazines
Q: How does the SAFE Act impact magazines?
A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds. This continues to be true today. You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured. If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you had until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, transfer it to a law enforcement agency or officer, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser.
Q: Can I continue to buy 10 round magazines?
A: Yes, the SAFE Act does not affect your ability to continue to buy 10 round magazines.
Q: Is there anything else I should be aware of?
A: Hunters should remember that for many years there have been round limitations when it comes to guns used during hunting. In New York you may not hunt with a semi-automatic gun that can contain more than 6 rounds unless it uses .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, is an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than eight inches, or has been altered to reduce its capacity to no more than 6 rounds in the magazine and chamber combined.

Now it gets interesting. In late 2013 Chief U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny in Erie County, struck down the component that had made it illegal for individuals to load more than seven-rounds of ammunition into a magazine capable of holding 10-rounds. So Western NY was back to 10-rounds while Eastern NY was still at seven. Then the 2nd Circuit of the United States Court of Appeals upheld the lower-courts ruling! A small win, but a win nonetheless.

Unfortunately, that is not the final straw! A Judge or Court ruling does not change the law. Technically it is still law until the law is amended. In an effort to see where the State of New York stands on this matter I contacted the SAFE Act phone number at 518-474-8390, which I got off their website https://safeact.ny.gov. I was told to contact the State Attorney General’s office. So I sent an email to the AG’s office through their website and waited.

Reactions: 1 users

jrsavoie

Equipment
2022 LX2610, 1963 JD4010, 1975 Ford backhoe, 1996 Toro 223D, 1999 Toro Groun325D
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
There will never be a banning of guns. A constitutional amendment requires the ratification of 3/4 of congress and 2/3 of state legislatures. Not happening. This is just a straw issue that politicians use to get their base voters to the polls.
Not so much. Seems legislators don't worry at all about passing unconstitutional laws.
They know it takes a lot of time and money to get the laws thrown out.
Of which we pay the whole bill. They know the suffer no real repercussions for passing unconstitutional laws

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Of all the seemingly ridiculous laws out there, the NY law that allows one to possess a 10-round magazine BUT NOT PUT MORE THAN 7 ROUNDS IN IT just doesn't make sense to me:unsure:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Of all the seemingly ridiculous laws out there, the NY law that allows one to possess a 10-round magazine BUT NOT PUT MORE THAN 7 ROUNDS IN IT just doesn't make sense to me:unsure:
That's NYS for you.

Lived here all my life, and their stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Still see many signs bumper stickers about repealing the SAFE Act.

Unintended situation, but some other unexpected guns were not compliant. A Ruger 10/22 comes to mind, because of its clip. Don't know if the 10/7 thing got them to slide by.

Certainly not what they had in mind to regulate.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Well most gun control laws don't make sense. The laws require you to be a law-abiding citizen for them to be effective. Well, if you are a law abiding citizen, then we don't need the gun control laws because you aren't the one out there murdering, robbing, etc., but you are a law abiding citizen.

So, gun control laws only effect law abiding citizens and does nothing about the criminal who by definition doesn't follow the laws.

Simply, gun control laws are more about control than guns.

Reactions: 12 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Well most gun control laws don't make sense. The laws require you to be a law-abiding citizen for them to be effective. Well, if you are a law abiding citizen, then we don't need the gun control laws because you aren't the one out there murdering, robbing, etc., but you are a law abiding citizen.

So, gun control laws only effect law abiding citizens and does nothing about the criminal who by definition doesn't follow the laws.

Simply, gun control laws are more about control than guns.

agreed 100%

but leave it to a politician to make laws that make no sense to anyone

banning does not solve the problem

I've said this a bunch of times. You could remove every firearm on the face of the planet and humans being as resourceful as we are, will find another way. Remember "we" used to kill others with sticks and stones long before firearms were invented.

Reactions: 2 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Perhaps a little less paranoia on having your guns confiscated and time to consider a little rational gun legislation. Why would anyone object to a background check to eliminate felons, mentally challenged, wife abusers, etc from buying a gun?

I used to own firearms. I gave them away when my 1st son was born. My choice. I don't judge anyone for wanting to own a gun. There are many reasons for wanting one. I just want to eliminate those who shouldn't be trusted with one.

We can debate the specifics but its definitely time for the discussion.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Why would anyone object to a background check to eliminate felons, mentally challenged, wife abusers, etc from buying a gun?
Those are already in place and none of those stopped the latest murderer from buying guns.
-Gun free zones, those are in place too and didnt stop the latest mass murderer from bringing guns into schools.

When are we gong to have rational discussions about how decayed and ill our society is? What about the meds these murderers take? Some of these feel good meds have homicidal and suicidal thoughts as side effects yet there is NEVER a discussion about it after these horrible events.

People are the problem, not guns yet we never talk about the people problem.

Reactions: 7 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Those are already in place and none of those stopped the latest murderer from buying guns.
-Gun free zones, those are in place too and didnt stop the latest mass murderer from bringing guns into schools.

When are we gong to have rational discussions about how decayed and ill our society is? What about the meds these murderers take? Some of these feel good meds have homicidal and suicidal thoughts as side effects yet there is NEVER a discussion about it after these horrible events.

People are the problem, not guns yet we never talk about the people problem.
Some of those folks have suicidal and homicidal thoughts when they are off their meds 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Went to school with a guy like that. He stuck to himself in school, but didn't really say boo or mess with anyone. Got along with pretty much everyone and seemed pretty normal.

While he was home, his parents made sure he was taking his meds properly. Once he graduated from school he was living in a halfway house. (Not sure how he ended up there).

Anyway, he stopped taking his meds properly. Lost his marbles, stabbed his girlfriend 42 times and slit her throat as an after thought.

Dude will spend the rest of his life in a lockdown unit at a psych hospital.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think it would be very helpful if the gun grabbers would lead by example…interesting how same people trying to save my life are depopulation advocates and generally compliance for participation assholes.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Some of those folks have suicidal and homicidal thoughts when they are off their meds 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Went to school with a guy like that. He stuck to himself in school, but didn't really say boo or mess with anyone. Got along with pretty much everyone and seemed pretty normal.

While he was home, his parents made sure he was taking his meds properly. Once he graduated from school he was living in a halfway house. (Not sure how he ended up there).

Anyway, he stopped taking his meds properly. Lost his marbles, stabbed his girlfriend 42 times and slit her throat as an after thought.

Dude will spend the rest of his life in a lockdown unit at a psych hospital.
Wonder what would have happened to him if he never took meds in the first place though?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
let's see Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the USA....
... yet they average 2 murders a day with guns....
HOW can that be ??

Let's see 'them' clean up Chicago FIRST, as a test of their new laws.... BEFORE the rest of the country.

Reactions: 6 users

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I own two Stevens Crack Shot rifles that belonged to my father when he was still single digit age. One is a round barrel rifle, the whole rifle being not more than 18 inches long, the other, with an octagonal barrel is made for older kids, perhaps 9 or so and it is about 2 feet long. Both guns can be taken apart in 2 pieces, one with a screw, the other with a lever for easy transportation and weigh almost nothing.

Back in the early 20's when he was of single digit age, a father buying his son a rifle was a rite of passage. I remember stories of him bringing it to school and going rabbit shooting after school with friends and the principal of the school. Those rabbits became dinner.

Not a mass murderer in the bunch. People back then had two things. Common sense and self control.

Reactions: 4 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wonder what would have happened to him if he never took meds in the first place though?
From what I understand, the meds were to treat a schizo effective disorder that manifested at a young age.

I agree that certain conditions are over medicated do to parents being lazy. (ADHD) But I've also seen instances where schools were requesting that a child be medicated or they couldn't return to the classroom as well.

I've also seen where someone truly needs to be medicated as my example above because the person would completely lose touch with reality and become a threat to themselves or others.