Grease for backhoe and loader

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
After further inspection of the backhoe and the rest of the tractor it appears that the original owner only greased it once, 588 hours ago. The moly grease that was all over the hoe was dried and full of dirt and dust. Sadly there was very little of it where it needed to be.

The machine also had all the original filters.:mad: Just fuel it up and go kind of guy.

After I replace about 5 worn pins and get it tightened up again I'll have to decide which type to use. I'm thinking the reason the moly grease was so hard to clean up was because it was 5 years old and full of dirt and it was dried like glue to the hoe.

I assumed the guy greased it and maintained it like I do with my JD or any other tractor I've owned because it had a lot of grease on the hoe and loader. I was wrong.

And, yes I do have a sense of humor. But I also had a serious question and wanted to talk about grease. When my first post here turned to jokes it didn't look like this place would work out. I'll give it another try. :cool:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Fretting about what grease to use is probably over analyzing. Any grease is better than no grease as you found out from the lack of proper maintenance by the previous owner. Just go for the best quality grease that you can afford. A tractor dealer may be a good source for recommendations. My dealer uses Lucas, for example. Not many use Tractor Supply grease.

As previously stated, I use TRC 880 on my tractors and backhoe but do use cheap Tractor Supply black grease on my disc bearings. Those eight bearings take a full tube of grease per day. Thank goodness for pneumatic grease guns. (Lincoln 1162 and a LockNLube nozzle, $100 well spent)

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1162-Air-Operated-Grease/dp/B0019COQ6C/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1468258278&sr=1-1&keywords=lincoln+pneumatic+grease+gun

There are tractor owners that can't be bothered by maintenance, especially if they intend to pass the tractor along relatively quickly. 600 hours would be relatively quickly in my opinion and tractors are generally tough enough to keep working to that point without being maintained.

Hopefully, you got the tractor at a good price and will be able to keep up with the breakdowns as they occur. Starting a rigorous maintenance schedule now may just be enough to keep those breakdowns minor and/or off in the distant future.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
And, yes I do have a sense of humor. But I also had a serious question and wanted to talk about grease. When my first post here turned to jokes it didn't look like this place would work out. I'll give it another try. :cool:
MaleHoe - Welcome aboard!

Please, continue to participate, and ask questions as they arise.

I've been a member here for a while now. I'm no expert by any means, but have learned so much from the more experienced guys here.

They are really a helpful bunch, but we all do have fun on occasion. You shouldn't judge your first experience by the jokes. We all get along pretty well.:cool:

Best wishes, and best of luck getting your machine back on the mend!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
MaleHoe - Welcome aboard!

Please, continue to participate, and ask questions as they arise.

I've been a member here for a while now. I'm no expert by any means, but have learned so much from the more experienced guys here.

They are really a helpful bunch, but we all do have fun on occasion. You shouldn't judge your first experience by the jokes. We all get along pretty well.:cool:

Best wishes, and best of luck getting your machine back on the mend!:)
X2 on what RCW said. There is a lot of good knowledge on this site. Sometimes, people get a little sidetracked with humor or jokes, but it is all in fun and not directed at anyone particular. Just a way of relieving some stress.
As far as your grease you choose to use, for your tractor and backhoe, pretty much any grease will work fine. The key is regular lubrication to push out the dirt and water and keeping the pins lubricated. Lack of greasing causes more damage than the type of grease used.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I had this same feeling:
With a screen name like Male Hoe I thought you had a sense of humor. My bad.
Again, apologies, and I'm glad you're sticking around.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am no stranger to the grease gun and use Lucas Red n Tacky for just about everything.

I have been very pleased with the results for many years.

Greasing is. a messy job no matter what.

I hate it.....but I do it quite regularly, and I think that is the most important thing.

I have no doubt that "moly" would probably be "better" but I use Red N Tacky on my BH77 without reservation.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Red and tacky,, I figure if they use it on multi million dollar mining equipment underground its good enough for my little beasty

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I'll bet the grease the original poster used 7 years ago worked fine! ;)
That’s an excellent point! Despite the fact the greasing-task has been neglected….what he used must have been pretty good if it didn’t fail after such long period of neglect.

Yeah….I know this thread is older…but after running-across it I had to point out the oddity of a group such as ourselves…..who will argue on the drop-of-the-hat over oil brands/types….but resort to a philosophy of “any old grease will do”.

I come from an industry that observes and respects specifications…. because that is what specs are FOR…

Moly grease is intended for sliding pins and bushings…. and NOT for roller bearings….. which should use grease specifically intended for bearings (roller or ball)…. and chassis/tie-rod/etc which can use general-purpose grease OR bearing greases.

Gotta wonder why our group is So Picky about engine and hydraulic oils….but so disregarding about specified greases. :oops:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you to the 4 people with helpful replies to my question. :)

When I have a serious question about my tractor I'll know not to bother asking it here.
With an Avatar name like "MaleHoe", what did you expect? :ROFLMAO:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That’s an excellent point! Despite the fact the greasing-task has been neglected….what he used must have been pretty good if it didn’t fail after such long period of neglect.

Yeah….I know this thread is older…but after running-across it I had to point out the oddity of a group such as ourselves…..who will argue on the drop-of-the-hat over oil brands/types….but resort to a philosophy of “any old grease will do”.

I come from an industry that observes and respects specifications…. because that is what specs are FOR…

Moly grease is intended for sliding pins and bushings…. and NOT for roller bearings….. which should use grease specifically intended for bearings (roller or ball)…. and chassis/tie-rod/etc which can use general-purpose grease OR bearing greases.

Gotta wonder why our group is So Picky about engine and hydraulic oils….but so disregarding about specified greases. :oops:
Hydraulic oil, yes,.....because Kubota Specifies SUDT-2.
Grease type/brand, and engine oil (other than diesel rated) do not matter much to me.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
After further inspection of the backhoe and the rest of the tractor it appears that the original owner only greased it once, 588 hours ago. The moly grease that was all over the hoe was dried and full of dirt and dust. Sadly there was very little of it where it needed to be.

The machine also had all the original filters.:mad: Just fuel it up and go kind of guy.

After I replace about 5 worn pins and get it tightened up again I'll have to decide which type to use. I'm thinking the reason the moly grease was so hard to clean up was because it was 5 years old and full of dirt and it was dried like glue to the hoe.

I assumed the guy greased it and maintained it like I do with my JD or any other tractor I've owned because it had a lot of grease on the hoe and loader. I was wrong.

You do not want to give up on this forum. Most of these guys have forgotten more than I will ever know. Tons and tons of knowledge and experience.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Though the black moly is very messy, It is worth the mess for things like a backhoe dipper/bucket link.
If you find it too hard to clean up, I would recommend spraying a paper towel with wd40. It breaks down the grease, so you are not just smearing it around. For this reason, don't spray the joint, just the paper towel.