Grapple. Wins and Losses

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
Have the same grapple as the OP. I do like it. Great for clearing an overgrown area. But…at least forks won’t leak hyd fluid. Between the cylinders on the grapple and the 3rd function fittings I have had multiple leaks requiring a retighten and it’s brand new! Maybe 4 hours using it. OH… and the third functions blew a fuse once.
Kind of thinking poor dealer setup it my case. YMMV.

Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
.....said NO ONE ever before this post.
😱 :oops::);)
Great point.

I do think that the "grapple" as we know it will evolve into something that combines the length of forks and the advantages of the third function in a more defined way than the current offerings.

As an experienced operator of fork lifts, professionally, and as a bucket - skip loader operator, professionally, I think that the grapple has a long way to go to get to where it should be.

I'm not saying the Aliens film power loader equipment is a firm reality, but a grapple could be so much more in that context.

Edit: I'm still new to my grapple and find it more frustrating efficiency wise, than a disc harrow on a BX or any small tractor. But, this old dog just might be able to learn more tricks.

We used to lay out a chain before cutting branches. Center laying the branches over the chain. Then bring in the loader with forks if available and drive it under the pile, careful not to hit the chain.
Then lift the loader a foot, and pull the chain up and around the load of branches...
Beat the snot out of ANY grapple grab I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Great point.

As an experienced operator of fork lifts, professionally, and as a bucket - skip loader operator, professionally, I think that the grapple has a long way to go to get to where it should be.
Thanks.
As an experienced tax preparer whose sat behind a desk his whole life, professionally, never ever drove a fork lift, or a bucket, I think you're totally wrong about the grapple, it's the most fun I've ever had with my pants on.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Thanks.
As an experienced tax preparer whose sat behind a desk his whole life, professionally, never ever drove a fork lift, or a bucket, I think you're totally wrong about the grapple, it's the most fun I've ever had with my pants on.
Yes Sir. I think it comes down to efficiency with an implement. Or if you're just having fun, playing around. Tractor therapy is valid in both situations.
If you need to get things done efficiently, do it as efficiently as possible. If you just like playing with fun toys, that's what you do.

To use your last sentence... A couple trying to raise a family are dedicated to a goal of having children.
Someone just having fun with a lover and just getting thier rocks off is something completely different.

Your goal of having fun is completely different than my goal of getting a project done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Both points valid. One carries more weight to each of us differently.

I appreciate and respect your post. I just have a different goal. Efficiency.

To me, it's not about having fun, it's about getting things accomplished as expediently as possible.

Last edited:
  • Love

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yes Sir. I think it comes down to efficiency with an implement. Or if you're just having fun, playing around. Tractor therapy is valid in both situations.
If you need to get things done efficiently, do it as efficiently as possible. If you just like playing with fun toys, that's what you do.

To use your last sentence... A couple trying to raise a family are dedicated to a goal of having children.
Someone just having fun with a lover and just getting thier rocks off is something completely different.

Your goal of having fun is completely different than my goal of getting a project done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Both points valid. One carries more weight to each of us differently.

To me, it's not about having fun, it's about getting things accomplished as expediently as possible.
Efficiency is huge.

My dad, who only has forks for his MF383 is really good with them and moves brush, logs, etc. with them and does a good job. I have used mostly a grapple and can do everything he does without having to leave the cab of my tractor.

Yet, put dad on my tractor and watch him try to use my grapple, he will end up stopping and going back to his forks. Since I started with a grapple and have few hundred hours on it, I can use it well.

Obviously, didn't start out that away, but with practice and learning how to best use the grapple, I tackle most projects with the grapple.

As you stated efficiency is huge factor and what we have found for our projects, the grapple is way more efficient than the forks, depending on who is operating the tractor.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Kind of makes sense the grapple is a bit frustrating and is currently inefficient for you based on your prior experience. I’m sure you already had mad skills with the forks and bucket, which definitely translates to running a grapple but doesn’t make one an instant first class grapple operator, so even a little bit of moving back down the curve to some rookie struggling can be frustrating. Been there. My loader skills, which likely pale to yours, we’re helpful but did not make me competent and efficient with the grapple without around 25 - 30 hours of seat time experimenting and working on technique.

If you don’t like it, not an issue at all for me. But if you’ll experiment with it some to figure out what works, what doesn’t, and work on your skills with it to maximize what you can get out of it, I’m quite confident you’ll find it more efficient than forks or anything else for some jobs.

As an example: I can (and have) driven up to a double wide mobile home sized brush pile, grabbed a pickup truck load sized chunk of brush, secured it such that I could drive 1/2 a mile with it at about 10mph (on a decent quality dirt road), backed out and driven off with it in about 15 seconds.

Point being if you’re struggling with it a little bit you’re probably missing out on some of the efficiency and functionality of your equipment if you blame the implement too early in the process based on your high level of competence with different implements.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It boils down to using the right tool for the job AND being skilled using THAT tool.
Sure a grapple is great at picking up and moving bulky brush but lousy at moving a skid of blocks or steel.
Moving skids full of stuff is best suited for a forklift, then a tractor with pallet forks. I prefer my forklift over the BX23S/HLA forks, as it's smoother to operate(almost like it was deigned for it...)

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I am fairly new with both the grapple and forks. The grapple works very well if you drop a tree where the ground is fairly level and fairly clear. you can get the same benefit as the chain / fork by scooping all the limbs and the top in one go and not getting off the tractor. A grapple keeps the logs off the ground and can take many logs a good distance over rougher terrain than forks. I have the lp grapple also and have acres of brush to pile and burn so the grapple is getting a good workout. It did take several hours to get at least a little proficient on it. Same as the back hoe. I still suck with the forks just unloaded 1000 bd ft of rough sawn lumber yesterday and ended up dumping the nicely piled stacks into a pile of 2x4s pick up sticks.

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
I guess it boils down to what kind of work you do most of and the size of your tractor. I use my grapple at least 30 times a year while I might use my forks 5 times.
My MX has the ability to lift and carry huge loads of debris, heavy logs and rake new ground. Forks can do some of these tasks but in my opinion not as well. Grapples, especially good ones, are heavy so I can see where the advantage could be lost with smaller tractors. Grapple design also plays into what how well they work also. I'm sold on the advantages of a grapple for the work I do, I've used forks and they just are not as good.
Most of my tractor friends have forks and only dream of getting a grapple, especially when they work with me, but the cost is the only hold up for them.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
OP here. I didn't mean to open this can of worms. I appreciate most everyone's responses. It is good information for those researching.

In my opinion grapples are a bit overrated. To say the least. Obviously, by seeing all the responses, my opinion isn't popular. My experience with my grapple is limited to just a couple hours. So take this thread with a grain of salt.

I think that when one goes to the expense to buy one, they should research it more than I did. I watched the YouTube videos, such as my favorite, GP Outdoors. And many others. There are different types of grapples, mine happens to be a shrub root type.

I think that grapples are the latest rage. The implement 'everyone' wants. I did. And I suppose that with my lack of experience with it, (although it's not brain surgery), and my Old school experience with forks and bucket, I just don't need it. Yet. And combined with the hassle of hooking up the hydraulic lines when swapping implements... I just prefer to leave it off of my tractor.

Nonetheless, my opinion isn't popular, because grapples are.

Thanks to all for your input.

I'm done here.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Not yanking anyone's chain, Except my own literal chain when I secure 3 times the load of cut branches on my forks vs using the grapple.

I just wanted to learn by hearing everyone's input.

I think that the biggest issue with my grapple is that the lower tines are too short. I have to come down from above to grab a load.

I am not very experienced, but I love this "pallet-fork add-grapple". I find that the grapple sometimes goes on and off during the same day, so there are still lots of "fork is better" applications. The grapple is unbeatable for big mouthfuls of brush or unbalanced loads of logs. Also when the surroundings don't allow me to get square on to the middle of a longer log I can grip it at an angle or off-center.

"Tractor Mike" has some demos of different loads comparing a variant of this with a dedicated grapple.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota

We used to lay out a chain before cutting branches. Center laying the branches over the chain. Then bring in the loader with forks if available and drive it under the pile, careful not to hit the chain.
Then lift the loader a foot, and pull the chain up and around the load of branches...
Beat the snot out of ANY grapple grab I've ever seen.

Even as awkward as I am, I can get more done by staying in the seat and making additional trip(s). If I have to hop out to cinch down the chain and then hop back up to move the load I'm achier at the end of the day and probably didn't get as much done. I can compress the pile before and during the pickup, using the grapple, from the seat of the tractor.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Even as awkward as I am, I can get more done by staying in the seat and making additional trip(s). If I have to hop out to cinch down the chain and then hop back up to move the load I'm achier at the end of the day and probably didn't get as much done. I can compress the pile before and during the pickup, using the grapple, from the seat of the tractor.
Have to agree Bob, if I make more trips vs on and off I'm OK with that.

Bill

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Like all tools, they have a purpose. Here is an example:

Forks:
- Moving stuff on pallets around
- Loading and unloading pallets from truck or trailer

Grapple:
- Moving logs after cutting sawmill quality trees (12+ inch wide and 12 foot long mostly)
- Cleaning up smaller twigs branches/ small trees and placing them in brush pile for chipper later
- Light duty land cleaning or making trails
- Breaking up the ground and roots for food plot and tilling
- Moving stumps or large rocks
- ...goes on the tractor when mowing as a precaution in case I run into fallen tree

Bucket:
- Moving piled up dirt or gravel from one location to another then on dumping, leveling it out
- Collecting firewood quality logs I chainsaw up from trails (16-18 inch long) to splitter (don't need to bend down)
- Moving other stuff like bags of mulch, straw, or tools

Backhoe:
- Trenching to bury lines or water collection/control
- Ditching banks to control water run off hills
- Cleaning out culverts of silt
- Heavy duty land clearing, small tree removal
- Scraping/digging then piling dirt to move with bucket
- Basement, footing, or foundation digging
- Removing stumps
- Changing grade for proper water run off
- Pulling logs from awkward locations so that can I reach them grapple (including using hook, pulley, and rope)

Front post hole digger:
- Creating 18 hole for 8 inch concrete pier or to place 6x6 post (construction)
- Smaller hole for fence post

Boxblade:
- Smoothing out dirt and leveling it out (taking high spots out and moving them to low spots)
- Creating crown on trails/roads
- Evenly distributing gravel on driveway
- Clean up after making mess with backhoe

So depending on what you're doing, the grapple has lots of use. Of course if you don't do this stuff, it isn't useful. And then it depends on how often you do it... despite my list of bucket, pallet forks, or boxblade being shorter, I might be doing that more often.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
One can have a barn full of implements of various uses, but if the operator does not know how to use them effectively and how to adapt the operation to specific needs the tool can be blamed for being "no good".

Operator proficiency takes time and thought.

We've been taught since young, "Practice makes perfect." That's not necessarily true. PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. When one does something wrong repeatedly they get good at doing it wrong.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . .
We've been taught since young, "Practice makes perfect." That's not necessarily true. PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. When one does something wrong repeatedly they get good at doing it wrong.
Geno Auriemma, the Hall of Fame UConn Women's Basketball coach, has a similar mantra, "We don't practice until we get it right, we practice until we don't get it wrong".

JSL

Equipment
BX2380, FEL, Box Scraper
Apr 19, 2022
Maryland
disagree.

can you pick up leaves with forks? :ROFLMAO:

chicks dont smile when you make them use forks, they want grapples.

did you mod the grapple with some kind of netting to make that leaf situation? This set up would transform my life---leaves are killing me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
looks like orange snow fencing.....

I you have a LOT of leaves, buy or make one of those 'leaf vacuum' machines. They suck up the leaves, chew into material that'll quickly turn into compost.

Some just use an 'industrial' sized blower to relocate the leaves....

• Dislike