Grapple. Wins and Losses

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So, I got a grapple with my latest Kubota. I wasted money. Because I also got forks.

I had never owned a grapple on a tractor prior.

But, I've found that there isn't too much a grapple can do more than forks and the standard bucket.

I'm glad to have the 3rd function for my future snow blower on my LX2610. But the grapple is wasted money for me.

The forks do everything, and the bucket fills in difference.

I spent too much time on YouTube before this latest tractor purchase in which I demanded a grapple. Wasted money.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
disagree.

can you pick up leaves with forks? :ROFLMAO:

chicks dont smile when you make them use forks, they want grapples.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I've seen the "use the forks as a grapple" argument many times on this forum. I can guarantee you my forks wouldn't have dug up a tree stump, or dragged logs out of my creek.

The picture below was after I tried to move the posts with my forks and they kept falling off.
PXL_20220519_160227206.jpg

If you don't need it, nows a good time to sell.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Depends on what you do with it and how much. Glad I have mine. Would definitely still have a grapple, forks, and bucket if I could redo the whole deal. But it’s too expensive of a piece of equipment to have just because it’s “cool”, particularly if you figure in the cost of the third function if that’s the only reason you’re adding a third function.

They are an implement with reasonably strong demand so seems like you should be able to recoup most of your wasted money by selling it.

Edit: OK, since everyone else was posting pics while I was typing….

You can’t rip a scrap drop in stove covered in poison ivy out of the ditch where someone tossed it at least 45 years ago and drop it in the back of your truck without touching it if you just have forks. And yes, I had enough oven filled ditches covered in poison ivy (along with a few other more normal jobs) to justify the cost of a grapple.
8DD1CDEA-75CD-4F98-B04F-65D02EA6C2EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
In my world there is not much a grapple can do that forks can't, but there are a lot of things forks can do that a grapple can't. Then again, my world includes forks and no grapple. I ended up spending my grapple money on a 2 post car lift instead. My world is happy :cool: I'm sure there are lots of folks living in their happy worlds that includes their grapple.

Reactions: 5 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have moved many things with my grapple that forks: could not have moved or would have taken an inordinate amount of time to prepare/load.

I do not have forks, but I have used my grapple to unload/transport an unevenly balanced nearly 500 lbs. 11 foot long pallet of steel tubing. I used a $30 lifting strap and a clevis to remove the pallet from the rear of an 18 wheeler trailer, and then I transported it more than 1/4 of mile to the build site. All I had to do was wrap the lifting strap through the pallet, and I used my grapple to grab the loop above the pallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
this thread is going to a minimum of 6 pages

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have a grapple and forks. There is a place for both. But in my case the forks are used once in a blue moon. The grapple is on the tractor as much as the bucket. The stump grinder is also a huge labor saver for me...

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I don't have a grapple, but I also don't have a lot of property so the forks I own have done what I wanted them to do. That being said, I could have used a grapple in a few situations that would have saved me some time. I am going to improvise and weld a thumb bracket to my forks so I can use them as a grapple when I need the functionality.

I have used the forks more than the bucket in the last 25 hours of operation. Forks are a godsend.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I think the OP is yanking our chain, but maybe not. I consider my grapple the most important loader implement I own. However, I also consider a set of pallet forks an essential piece of equipment. While I don't use my forks often, they are handy when I do need them.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
It's tough navigating through the trails with a big grapple load when cleaning up the woods! I find keeping the loads to a more mangageble size like this helps.....even though it might take a little longer! :LOL:
EA 55 Grapple.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I used my forks to get my new grapple off the freight truck, when he showed up without a lift gate 😁
Then I started using my new grapple to do tasks that in the past when done with forks, had a much greater chance of ending with my head being pushed out my butt.
I use both.
91A9132F-6DEB-4219-AADF-55B972ED86C0.jpeg

65229D9B-E068-4185-A5BB-C89234F9223D.jpeg

Last edited:

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I'm biting on a post which is designed to stir up things but here I go....... I can't imagine brush management without a grapple. I suppose if you're not moving trees / branches around and just unloading stuff, you could get by with forks alone.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I think the OP is yanking our chain, but maybe not. I consider my grapple the most important loader implement I own. However, I also consider a set of pallet forks an essential piece of equipment. While I don't use my forks often, they are handy when I do need them.
Not yanking anyone's chain, Except my own literal chain when I secure 3 times the load of cut branches on my forks vs using the grapple.

I just wanted to learn by hearing everyone's input.

I think that the biggest issue with my grapple is that the lower tines are too short. I have to come down from above to grab a load.
KIMG0785.JPG

Whereas with my forks I drive under the pile. And find the forks far more useful for other transport duties as well. Like removing the log splitter beam from my truck.
KIMG0767.JPG
KIMG0785.JPG

For moving cut rounds and earthwork it's the bucket.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
So, I got a grapple with my latest Kubota. I wasted money. Because I also got forks.

I had never owned a grapple on a tractor prior.

But, I've found that there isn't too much a grapple can do more than forks and the standard bucket.

I'm glad to have the 3rd function for my future snow blower on my LX2610. But the grapple is wasted money for me.

The forks do everything, and the bucket fills in difference.

I spent too much time on YouTube before this latest tractor purchase in which I demanded a grapple. Wasted money.
Sell it!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If you are interested in selling it, let me know. I'm in N. VA and if you aren't terribly far away I would drive for the right price.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
As the OP found out, for HIS application, that style of grapple , doesn't do what he was led to believe it should. Everyone's needs on their properties is different,so best 'tool' selection can be a challenge.
I've used forks for 3 decades for all of the pictured uses and dozens more. It's what I have, the jobs need to be done, and they were.
comment about the 'will forks pickup leaves' post. The 'cheat' is the orange snowfencing. The grapples didn't really pickup the leaves.
comment about the post carrying. Can clearly see the posts are not centered in the grapple. I've hauled 3200# logs on forks,centered/balaced,1/2mile out of bush,down road, to mill with no issues.

Yes, a grapple is a nice tool, just not the one NEEDED for the OP's operations.