Grapple. Wins and Losses

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Both are good at what they do, and both have their place. It really comes down to what you are doing.

You also have to factor in the cost of the 3rd function kit.

I have looked at grapples many times, but the cost of the grapple and 3rd function kit, does not out weigh the benefits, the few times a year I would use it.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The nice thing, we live in a country where you can pick what works best for you.

I have a grapple, a set of forks, and the bucket. My most used is the grapple. Yet, I have spent the last three years cleaning up on our 80 acre farm which has involved a lot of brush removal, tree cutting, fence pulling, old building demo, and retrieving old hidden implements and such.

Can those items be accomplished with forks and/or bucket? Yes. Yet, the volume we have/had the grapple has been a HUGE time saver.

Yet, you have to find what works for you.

20201221_113915.jpg

Resized_20200606_090738.jpeg

Resized_20200903_171724.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
comment about the 'will forks pickup leaves' post. The 'cheat' is the orange snowfencing. The grapples didn't really pickup the leaves.
:rolleyes:
put snow fencing on your pallet forks, pick up 20 yards of leaves, report back.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
My contribution :)
As others have clearly said it depends on what your problems are before you can define the best solution. For my purposes its a great tool. I use it to move 'landscape features' (aka rocks) from the woods to my finished areas:
20210917_134004_resized.jpg

I just couldn't have salvaged this potato with my forks.

Maneuvering on a grade, dodging trees with sections of felled (can't say dropped) trees now takes a fraction of the time.
20210919_143829_resized.jpg

I guess my test is, since I've had the grapple, I have only used the forks twice.

Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As the OP found out, for HIS application, that style of grapple , doesn't do what he was led to believe it should. Everyone's needs on their properties is different,so best 'tool' selection can be a challenge.
I've used forks for 3 decades for all of the pictured uses and dozens more. It's what I have, the jobs need to be done, and they were.
comment about the 'will forks pickup leaves' post. The 'cheat' is the orange snowfencing. The grapples didn't really pickup the leaves.
comment about the post carrying. Can clearly see the posts are not centered in the grapple. I've hauled 3200# logs on forks,centered/balaced,1/2mile out of bush,down road, to mill with no issues.

Yes, a grapple is a nice tool, just not the one NEEDED for the OP's operations.
Yep, he bought the wrong style of grapple for what he describes as his use. And, he just purchased it so his proficiency isn't very good yet.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
In my world there is not much a grapple can do that forks can't, but there are a lot of things forks can do that a grapple can't. Then again, my world includes forks and no grapple. I ended up spending my grapple money on a 2 post car lift instead. My world is happy :cool: I'm sure there are lots of folks living in their happy worlds that includes their grapple.
IMHO forks are a lot more versatile than a grapple.
I have both!

Bought the grapple 2 years ago, and have yet to use it.
That said, my 11' reach BH with hyd. thumb will pick up a lot of stuff that would be difficult to get with only forks.

I got the grapple primarily for brush pickup,..... but have not yet actually needed to pick up any piles of brush.
Probably could have done just fine without it.

I do not sell ANY tractor attachments!
Just might need it/them some day!

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have to agree with the OP. A grapple would be wasted money for me. I didn't buy one.

That's not to say a grapple isn't perfect for some of you. You might find it hard to believe, but many of us have completely different use cases. The pictures of grapples in use on this thread have no relevance to what I need to do.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
There's no way I could move many of the rocks that I grab using a set of pallet forks. Pallet forks are cheap, grapples not so much, so I choose to have both. My point is, once you invest in a grapple, it's not much more to add a set of pallet forks. Since I have two tractors I'm able to leave the grapple on one of them most of the time, and switch quickly between a bucket and forks on the other tractor. I like that convenience.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I think that the biggest issue with my grapple is that the lower tines are too short. I have to come down from above to grab a load.
View attachment 85476

Whereas with my forks I drive under the pile.
For picking up brush agree with others it may be the style of grapple. Mine is a long bottom so I can start by sliding under the pile (same as you describe with the forks), then roll forward and raise while driving forward simultaneously (leaving the lower teeth stationary a few inches above ground while rolling over the pile) to compress the pile before closing the lids to pick up a compressed pile that’s significantly more than I could possibly pile on forks.

Suspect the style you have would be better than the style I have for true root raking/stump removal type work as it engages the ground without being rolled forward as much so the curl cylinders are not extended as much in root raking operations.

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, I have the same LP grapple as the OP, and I have never had any difficulty in grasping large amounts of sticks/limbs/misc. debris. There is some technique involved. You skim the ground with the bottom teeth (grapple fully open) to create a pile (if you do not already have one). Afterwards, you roll the grapple over and press down from the top as you close the grapple. This process allows you to pick up very large loads, because you can compress the debris with the fully open grapple against the ground. You are thereby closing the jaws on already partially compacted material - more material than you could grasp just using the compaction of the jaws. The highly compacted nature of the load also reduces loss during transport.

Heck - I even was able to pick up a large pile of grass cuttings that had been left for a year or so using this technique. The grass clippings all held together for the 100+ yard trip to the dumpster.

Different grapple designs have various benefits and short comings, but good technique often overcomes the limitations.

Reactions: 7 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
In my world there is not much a grapple can do that forks can't, but there are a lot of things forks can do that a grapple can't. Then again, my world includes forks and no grapple. I ended up spending my grapple money on a 2 post car lift instead. My world is happy :cool: I'm sure there are lots of folks living in their happy worlds that includes their grapple.
I bought my 2 post lift 19 years ago when i put up my shop. I figured then it was better then instead of a snowmobile or a four wheeler as i would use it year round. Used it this week doing pads and rotors front and back on the subaru.

Last year I got my retirement L2501 and have both forks and a grapple. they both have a place in handling my firewood and other chores. Like someone said, never get rid of any attachments!

Bill

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I HAD leaves (before the foreign invaders killed most of the trees...) I used a leaf vacuum behind a rider. Chewed the leaves down by a factor of 8 or so, dumped into compost for next spring's plantings.
So I have no need to modify my pallet forks for leaf pickup duty.
As pointed out, there's a lot of different 'grapples', not a 'one-size-fits-all' tool.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have two sets of forks and one grapple…for my uses I think forks is the best implement…at least for me the forks are way more versatile…I can move a log with forks but I can’t really do much with a pallet with a grapple…I like the grapple too, but if I could only have one it would be forks and in that case I would get forks that could bring them together with 3rd function. I see them like wrenches or screw drivers in a tool box…some of us have more than one.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have two sets of forks and one grapple…for my uses I think forks is the best implement…at least for me the forks are way more versatile…I can move a log with forks but I can’t really do much with a pallet with a grapple…I like the grapple too, but if I could only have one it would be forks and in that case I would get forks that could bring them together with 3rd function. I see them like wrenches or screw drivers in a tool box…some of us have more than one.
I would have more toys if the finance committee would just approve the purchases. She can be a little strict with the budget. I really do think feeding the kids can be overrated.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Yep, he bought the wrong style of grapple for what he describes as his use. And, he just purchased it so his proficiency isn't very good yet.
I think that these 2 posts sum it up for me in my case. Although I have played with the grapple and removed boulders and smaller trees, I have no prior experience and find myself far more efficient with the forks and bucket. In the case of boulder extraction the bucket is king for me probably because of my years of experience using one. Same with the forks.

I probably did buy the wrong grapple for my current projects, but I may find that works excellent for future ones.

I can't see selling my grapple at this time, because I've found in the past as soon as I sell some tool... I really need it.

Reactions: 6 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
So, I got a grapple with my latest Kubota. I wasted money. Because I also got forks.

I had never owned a grapple on a tractor prior.

But, I've found that there isn't too much a grapple can do more than forks and the standard bucket.

I'm glad to have the 3rd function for my future snow blower on my LX2610. But the grapple is wasted money for me.

The forks do everything, and the bucket fills in difference.

I spent too much time on YouTube before this latest tractor purchase in which I demanded a grapple. Wasted money.

.....said NO ONE ever before this post.
😱 :oops::);)

• Haha