Good help is hard to find

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm sure other folks have run into the same issues :rolleyes: The pickings for the labor pool stink. Apparently no one actually wants to work. Just looking for a pay check :rolleyes:

So, we're currently looking for a new driver at work. Needs a class A cdl. Wow, some of these folks that have come in to interview, seem like they shouldn't even have a drivers liscense :eek:

Had a former employee that wouldn't work a full week, that would get payed then not show up till he ran out of money. Could keep jerry springer in new material for a couple years. Show up hung over and sick all the time. I run the dude off 5 years ago.

Dude showed up yesterday wanting his job back. He was drunk!!!!!! :confused: Took one look at him, and asked how he thought it would be appropriate to show up drunk looking for work driving a semi :eek: He actually had the Guts to try and argue how that was acceptable.

We've also had several applicants that seemed perfect for the job till you explain that there is a pre hire drug test. Then you don't hear from them again :rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I took two graduating students to a robots factory a couple of years ago, One was realllly good in CAD and the other was not a rocket scientist- but could assemble stuff well.....

so the head honcho takes us around and gives a tour ........

then he and I are in the snack room alone, and I ask him "what three things are you looking for in a young person that works for you?"

#1 They have to give a shyte ( exact quote!)

#2 they need to come to work on time EVERY day!

#3 and they need to give a shyte.....

I wanted to laugh, but I understood what he was saying all to well......

Daren, it is a sad state of affairs we live in, but then again why the hell should one work when the opportunity to NOT work is so easy and the pay is slightly less. :mad:

I have some great kids this year, seems like all the sorry asses have moved on.......but the proof is in the pudding !!!! We'll see what unfolds in years to come.

Maybe you'll find a driver - I hope so!:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It is a sad state we are in,, Lil Bro was an national rep for a LARGE Union. He dealt with a lot of HR people, and everyone had the same to say. We are looking for welders, the ones that could weld could not pass the drug tests, the ones that did couldn't weld. And our government sees no problem here,just lots of talk,,no action

Vrat

Equipment
B7300 HSD
Sep 23, 2014
Lehigh Valley, PA
Seeing the same issues. I've been in my industry for 35 years and know the industry and people. The number of resume's I see that are flat out lie's is astounding. What are they thinking when they put this stuff down on paper.

If I had the time I'd interview a couple just to see how it plays out and how deep they would go.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
then he and I are in the snack room alone, and I ask him "what three things are you looking for in a young person that works for you?"

#1 They have to give a shyte ( exact quote!)

#2 they need to come to work on time EVERY day!

#3 and they need to give a shyte.....
I have a 4th requirement. That's to be able to think for themselves ;) I don't want something sitting because they can't pick up a phone and call napa or o'rileys and get some filters or gasket material coming.

Pointed out to my old boss years ago, that you can tell a lot about someone by there work history on an application or resume. Told him I would rather have the kid that spent the past 5 years working at McDonald's in my shop, then the guy that's had 6 different jobs in the past 5 years. Kid may not be as qualified, but I can count on the fact that they would show up for work and have some sort of decent work ethic. I can work on the rest ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Seeing the same issues. I've been in my industry for 35 years and know the industry and people. The number of resume's I see that are flat out lie's is astounding. What are they thinking when they put this stuff down on paper.

If I had the time I'd interview a couple just to see how it plays out and how deep they would go.
You ever get any written in text speak? :D My boss was hiring a couple years ago, and started laughing while reading through resumes :D Said here, check these two out.

You was "u". Are was "R", Plus quite a few others. Had another written in "gangsta" :D

Plus there were the usual lies, the highly doubt it's, and the "you actually had the Guts to say that?!!!"

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I had an electrician come in and pull wires through walls. I stink at it. There was about four days worth of work. First day, the electricians helper was a nice, intelligent kid. If I mentioned anything, he was very diligent about following through. Last day of work was another helper. The owners son. A failure. They pulled Cat5 From outside the garage to a wiring closet in the middle of the house. The 'helper', who has been working for his dad over 15 years mind you, put staples THROUGH the Cat5. So I hooked them up (patch panel punch down on one end and RJ-45 on the other) and the tester is showing connectivity when nothing is connected to the other end other than a RJ-45 plug. I figure I messed up. Redo it. Still shows connected. After the sixth redo, I test with a bare end, nothing connected. Green and White/Green, connected! Four hours I spent. Follow the cable. Found the staples through it. I had given him plastic clamps so he would not use staples. ARgh..... Now I have to wait for them to return, re-pull then I can continue with the exterior project.
So few have pride in what they are doing.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That is the exact reason I am actually considering getting another tractor with a cab and snowblower. :eek::eek: I can't find people to come out here and do the stuff I need to have done. Could pay a lot of hours for what another rig would cost, but the lawn and snow guys either couldn't do the areas I need done, or wouldn't come when I wanted, or would gouge things up. I have worked with their employees, and they can't follow simple directions. :(

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sheepfarmer, I often suggest in a situation like yours, contact the local shop teacher (like 85Hokie) and ask for their most mechanically incline, hard working farm kid.

They know what work is, and usually enjoy a challenge. You can train them how you want it done, and not have to un-train them from the way someone else thought it should be done.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
D2Cat, can I get an AMEN from the congregation!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Apparently no one actually wants to work. Just looking for a pay check
Talked to a millennial (19, high school diploma, (barely) with NO skills) who plans to live with & mooch off his folks for the foreseeable future, told me "I ain't gettin' a job till I find one for at least 100K, not worth my time for anything less."
Between work ethics like that, entitlements, and liberals, this country is doomed.
:(:mad:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Can't hurt to try! Not sure how many genuine farm kids go to tne nearest high school, but worth trying. Have had some over the years, usually kids of friends, but now that I think of it the problem is my friends have hit the kids and grand kids stage :p

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Now Bill, be careful, we're getting on the edge of politics and it causes too much commotion for everyone to get along!

I've got a neighbor who, right now, has a for sale sign in his yard. He's a good "kid" but has had life too easy. Hasn't kept a job for a year for the 3 years he's lived here. He's 28, girl friend, 2 kids by her. Didn't have funds to buy a water pump for his S10 one week ago. Quit his job two days latter. House listed by real estate agent two days after that. He and GF are moving 250 miles to move in with his folks.

It's becoming standard operating procedure!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Bill, I had one of them kids!!! Quit school at 17, got kicked out of the house shortly after do to drugs. Refused to get a job and mooched off his friends. Within a year he begged to move back in because he burned his bridges with his friends.

Got caught by us with more drugs, and forced into boot camp. That cured the drugs, but not the mooching. Gave him a size 11 steel toe to the booty and kicked him back out on his 21st birthday. Moved into an apartment with friends. He hit rock bottom a year later. Wanted to move back home. Wife and I told him there was a tent in the garage he could have, but your not moving back in!!! We won't let you starve either!!!! " you got yourself into this mess, you need to figure out how to get out of it!!!" ;)

He got a weekly allowance of 1 loaf of bread, 1 package of bologna, and a case of Raman noodles for a couple months :p He got it figured out and is doing great now, and we couldn't be prouder of him ;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Daren, it's a shame we can't apply your methods to about half this country.
Well done, my hat is off to you!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I had this kid once, he was pretty sharp and was able to tackle smaller fixes I didn't want to have to deal with like working on automatic faucets. Started out real well, then I couldn't keep the kid awake! As soon as he got in the truck in the morning, boom he was passed out. No problem....quick jerk of the wheel and his head smashing off the door window and he was up...hey did you see that deer kid?!? :p.

Then we were on a job and I left him alone in a bathroom to work in those stupid electronic faucets that save you money on water usage, but will cost you 10x that on labor of always working on them. Well he decided to fall asleep under the counter! No prob bob.... Found a nice piece of sheet metal and a good piece of 2x and banged on that metal right next to his head like I was in the blue man group :p.

After bumming money for lunch off of everyone that would throw him a bone I had to give him the boot. Found out later he was hooked on pills or some crap. Seems like drugs are the common denominator here.....

Christ...I used to drink with the best of them at his age every night, make it to work on time, and be productive. Hell, I had to so I had beer money! Kids are too soft today :cool:

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
Bill, I had one of them kids!!! Quit school at 17, got kicked out of the house shortly after do to drugs. Refused to get a job and mooched off his friends. Within a year he begged to move back in because he burned his bridges with his friends.

Got caught by us with more drugs, and forced into boot camp. That cured the drugs, but not the mooching. Gave him a size 11 steel toe to the booty and kicked him back out on his 21st birthday. Moved into an apartment with friends. He hit rock bottom a year later. Wanted to move back home. Wife and I told him there was a tent in the garage he could have, but your not moving back in!!! We won't let you starve either!!!! " you got yourself into this mess, you need to figure out how to get out of it!!!" ;)

He got a weekly allowance of 1 loaf of bread, 1 package of bologna, and a case of Raman noodles for a couple months :p He got it figured out and is doing great now, and we couldn't be prouder of him ;)
Daren, hats off to you! No one said tough love is easy, but it is definitely tough to do!!. We had a similar experience with our youngest who is now 18 and moved out. It all started when he was 14. We tried everything with him. Spent many a restless night wondering if he was coming home, or if he was even still alive. He recently graduated from high school, after having to play catch up his senior year. All A's and B's the last 2 semester. He is just starting at the local college for a 2 year degree in welding and metal fabrication. He is working 30 hours a week and going to school full time.. The wife and I are very proud of him turning his life around and we tell him that every chance we get....;)

Not all of these stories have a happy ending though. They just buried one of his former friends yesterday. That was a tough funeral for him....but, all part of growing up and moving forward.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got all of these stories have a happy ending though. They just buried one of his former friends yesterday. That was a tough funeral for him....but, all part of growing up and moving forward.
We have had a few of those experiences with some of there friends as well. One was a classic case of why it's a bad idea to text and drive. Some of there friends were OD's, others were drunk driving.

Usually the conversation afterwards from the kids were "I'm glad you were hard on me when I needed it!!!!" :D

Rodnok

Equipment
B7100hst, MMM, Box Scraper, FEL make unknown, adapted and resurrected from junk
Dec 28, 2015
chattanooga, tn
Daren, hats off to you! No one said tough love is easy, but it is definitely tough to do!!. We had a similar experience with our youngest who is now 18 and moved out. It all started when he was 14. We tried everything with him. Spent many a restless night wondering if he was coming home, or if he was even still alive. He recently graduated from high school, after having to play catch up his senior year. All A's and B's the last 2 semester. He is just starting at the local college for a 2 year degree in welding and metal fabrication. He is working 30 hours a week and going to school full time.. The wife and I are very proud of him turning his life around and we tell him that every chance we get....;)

Not all of these stories have a happy ending though. They just buried one of his former friends yesterday. That was a tough funeral for him....but, all part of growing up and moving forward.
Sad state of affairs when A young person has to go to college to get a degree in metal fabrication and welding. Now the kid is stuck with $40,00 in financial aid? debt he will make payments on for 30 years. Hell of a good start in life. Whatever happened to trade schools that taught those skills. Oh, ya, congrats to your son for turning his life around!