Glow Plugs B7100 hard to start??

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
I have a question about my B7100 how often do you have to use the glow plugs on yours during the day. During the summer mowing and doing yard work trimming limbs and such usually only have to do it once when I start. Any other time of the year I may have to use the glowplugs nearly every time I stop and start back up. Would you consider this normal? I know the big variable in the question is how cold is the day and how long did you run it buy it just seems |I may have to be using a lot of glow plugs and is this a symptom of weak rings? any input will be much appreciated.

On another note my tire change I posted about here http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23548
is a winner I gained a much more usable piece of equipment over the original turf tires.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It could be a sign of low compression or bad injectors, or as simple as needing the valves adjusted.

Does it have excessive blow by? If so it could be very worn rings.
check compression, 450lbs standard, 350 lbs low side.
Remove valve cover, check valve lash, .008, run and look for source of blow by, valve guides or crankcase area.

Last edited:

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Thanks NIW It doesn't have any blow by that I can tell and It doesn't use any oil. The question was just to gage what others were experiencing so maybe I could get a feel of whether I had a problem. Like I said I know there are many variables I think I'll get a compression tester and do the test just to see where I'm at. This is not my 1st diesel but I've never worked on diesels so I just have to rely and the little I know about the theory of operation.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I started my B7100 yesterday after setting all winter with a battery maintainer attached. Glow Plugged for about 20 seconds before extreme belching began!

I was somewhat astonished because the battery in use was on the machine when I got it a year ago with the head off and setting for who knows how long. I was surprised the battery started it when I got the engine back together!!

To help with your question, be sure ALL the GP's are working. If the second GP is not getting power,then the third one can not get power. Then check compression.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
I started my B7100 yesterday after setting all winter with a battery maintainer attached. Glow Plugged for about 20 seconds before extreme belching began!

I was somewhat astonished because the battery in use was on the machine when I got it a year ago with the head off and setting for who knows how long. I was surprised the battery started it when I got the engine back together!!

To help with your question, be sure ALL the GP's are working. If the second GP is not getting power,then the third one can not get power. Then check compression.
D2Cat, the glow plugs work fine, in my mind the question is "am I having to use them more than I should" and NIW's suggestion about a compression check would answer the question of are my cylinders are building enough pressure on compression to ignite. Something he also mentioned I had not thought of was a valve adjustment. Do you have to use your GP every time in the winter to start?
This whole discussion may be fruitless because the tractor runs well has no blow by that I can determine and does not use oil and so I do not want to over think it or do something that would change status quo.
Really just wanted to get a feel for "IF I Might" have a developing problem. My background is gasoline motors and automotive electrical and so diesels are a new thing that I am learning about.

Thanks for your input every detail will help me gain a better understanding of this non problem :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jim, I use the GP on every tractor I have (that has them) when I start the engine unless I've had it running and I quit to go eat lunch, or something like that and the engine has be completely warmed up before I shut it off (and this would be in warm weather).

In colder weather, use of GP's saves the battery, starter and your patience! Some report using their GP's for up to a minute. I think the time required varies to each tractor.

Since your tractor starts and runs well, might check to see the valve are adjusted correctly and know you're fine.

Be sure to use oil rated for diesel engines, change oil filter at oil change, keep fuel filter, air filter clean and you're ready to put your tractor in your will, because it will outlast you!

Thanks for your service!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea with no or little blow by I wouldn't even bother with a compression test, check the valves and call that part good.
When it does start does it blow a lot of black or white smoke? :confused:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
D2Cat, " I use the GP on every tractor I have"

I have to agree with CAT - ever since obtaining my first diesel - I glow them for 10 seconds in the summer and 30 some seconds in the winter.......I tried one time on my B7100 to start it w/o hitting the glow plugs......It laughed at me, and did NOT start.....then when I DID glow it and start it, it threw up all over me:eek::D:)

I think it is one of those things that it is better to do it too much than not enough!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It might just need valves adjusted or It could also have leaking / worn injectors.
Nothing real serious, but if you want to fine tune it injectors would be my next step. ;)