Generator Transfer Switch Setup, Better Late Than Never.

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
Since I have had the interlock kit, the cables, circuit breaker and outside receptacle for over a year now, and having to plug extension cords into wall sockets to get the generator connected to the house after the power went out due to an ice storm, I finally got it installed ready for the next power outage.
Now I can trip the main breaker off, turn on the generator breaker, fire up the generator and plug in the cable. View attachment 53148
Having seen the effects of using a breaker in this manner I can say this is not a good thing. Circuit breakers are not rated to handle a load from that end. I personally witnessed a genset trying to feed the local power grid when the breaker failed. Burned out an 8K generator. Check your codes.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Having seen the effects of using a breaker in this manner I can say this is not a good thing. Circuit breakers are not rated to handle a load from that end. I personally witnessed a genset trying to feed the local power grid when the breaker failed. Burned out an 8K generator. Check your codes.
If power backfed into the grid, the mains breaker was either not tripped off or defective. That is the reason for the interlock. I have a recep attached to the breaker box that has a UPS for my internet modem and switches plugged into it, if it is humming and beeping, no power is coming out of the mains.

I checked with a electrician friend, says he does these setups frequently, and that as long as the interlock is installed correctly, the wiring is the correct size and type and receptacle is an approved type, it meets local codes.
Non-GFCI circuit breakers don't care which side the load is attached to in an AC circuit, as the current flow reverses 120 times a second in a 60Hz system. They only care about when the current exceeds the trip threshold.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I completed my 20kw Cummins generator and 200amp ATS last week. View attachment 53352
I wish we could put them that close to the house here. Mine is sticking out 4' in the worst way. I have considered moving it another 25' just to have that drive space back. We have a 4' minimum to structure.

Reactions: 1 user

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
I wish we could put them that close to the house here. Mine is sticking out 4' in the worst way. I have considered moving it another 25' just to have that drive space back. We have a 4' minimum to structure.
I just went by the manufacturers specifications. It’s unbelievable how quite it is. Exhaust fumes are barely noticeable standing right next to the exhaust outlet.

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
7AC1CD35-72B8-49C2-A50B-11C55358F65B.png
I’m running on Genny power right now. It’s cold and very windy, with many downed power lines all around. This is one of the first things we had installed as we were moving to the ranch full time. It’s hooked to a huge propane tank, so never and gas or diesel to wirry about. Just top off the propane once a year.
I also had a manual transfer switch connected as well as the automatic one. If power is out for days or weeks on end, we can manually switch it off, move the manual switch, plug in the little Honda, or the motorhome genny, and turn on whatever breakers you need. Fantastic setup.

Reactions: 1 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
View attachment 53404 I’m running on Genny power right now. It’s cold and very windy, with many downed power lines all around. This is one of the first things we had installed as we were moving to the ranch full time. It’s hooked to a huge propane tank, so never and gas or diesel to wirry about. Just top off the propane once a year.
I also had a manual transfer switch connected as well as the automatic one. If power is out for days or weeks on end, we can manually switch it off, move the manual switch, plug in the little Honda, or the motorhome genny, and turn on whatever breakers you need. Fantastic setup.
Looks like a very capable professional unit. The convenience when It’s suppling your home with backup power is important but the piece of mind when it’s not is awesome.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
My house had one of those Generac's already installed when we bought it - that was a BIG plus when we were looking. I don't have a manual transfer though. When we have an extended outage (anything more than an hour or so, actually), I just run it a couple hours every day to fill buckets of water and keep the refrigerator and freezer cold, and we just do without the rest of the day.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I thought I would use the manual set up more. But although we have probably 5 outages a year, only one was for multiple days, and it really didn’t cost that much in fuel. I’ve manually switched it off and plugged in the Honda, made a dedicated cord, then have not used it since.
The best part of a propane fueled genny, the power doesn’t go out on a beautiful sunny day! Now during a cold snowy ice storm, about 2:30AM, surprise! The automatic switch is fantastic.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
After having power interruptions too frequently my son in MD and I picked up 2 diesel gensets from a government auction at FT Meade.
They are MEP-003A's - oldies but goodies. Rated at 10kw, they came on new trailers and had been completely refurbed by the military (mine had .75hrs on the clock). It runs the whole house.
I picked up a new manual 400amp xfer switch on Ebay for <$200 (we have 400 amp service). I hung it myself but needed an electrician to wire it.
The problem I have is we are so far from the street / neighbors I can't tell when power comes back on. So in this pic I hooked up a 115v light to the street side and have a wifi camera watching it. Now I don't have to run downstairs every hour to see if power is on :) I am working on an Arduino to monitor the whole thing (gen voltage, frequency, amp draw, and street voltage) to automate everything.

generator mep-003a.jpg

transfer switch.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
After having power interruptions too frequently my son in MD and I picked up 2 diesel gensets from a government auction at FT Meade.
They are MEP-003A's - oldies but goodies. Rated at 10kw, they came on new trailers and had been completely refurbed by the military (mine had .75hrs on the clock). It runs the whole house.
I picked up a new manual 400amp xfer switch on Ebay for <$200 (we have 400 amp service). I hung it myself but needed an electrician to wire it.
The problem I have is we are so far from the street / neighbors I can't tell when power comes back on. So in this pic I hooked up a 115v light to the street side and have a wifi camera watching it. Now I don't have to run downstairs every hour to see if power is on :) I am working on an Arduino to monitor the whole thing (gen voltage, frequency, amp draw, and street voltage) to automate everything.

View attachment 53546

View attachment 53547
That looks good! Awesome generator. That rascal should last for years. Do you keep it under-roof somehow?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
That looks good! Awesome generator. That rascal should last for years. Do you keep it under-roof somehow?
It's in my garage, between two bays, by the doors. I have no permanent venting for it. The military has 2 20' SS flexible exhaust pipes they use (it's a 4 cylinder Onan air cooled). Two cylinders are tied together and vent separately. When we need it I just stretch them out on the gravel driveway pointing away from the door.
I sold the trailer it came on (can you say 'bad move'?) It tilted back and was brand new. It would have made a dandy firewood carrier.
My son has his outside still on his trailer. He has run up 500-600 hours on his. I'm around 150, 90 of which was a storm a few months ago.

They are built for the military. . . There is a youtube video of a guy running his at 14kw for over an hour.

That grey box on the left with the PVC conduit coming out of it, I added. There are 2 digital ammeters, one for each leg visible.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I heard about a transfer switch that easily plugs into the meter base. Sounded like a great idea. Until I priced it! Your setup sounds much more economical.
Have you talked to your power company about that?
Around here they offer them with the service. I do not know the cost but it installs at the meter.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Up here, you pay for everything yourself. The meter base, the wires, the poles or trench and conduit. Even the inspector. Nothing comes with the service, not even any service!

Cumbres

Equipment
B2910
Jun 4, 2019
Andale, KS
This is a device you can install that will give you an audible alarm when the power comes back on and you are on generator power.