Gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Politicians have little to do with this. They only think they can control oil pricing.
Ask the oil company's CEO and stock holders.
If you are invested in them please look inward.
Willing to bet your retirement plans hold plenty of exxon/mobil.
Well, I did work for them for 10 years...and did get a nice 401K check from them several years ago. So, you are partially correct in your assumption.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
But, but ,but , I though sleepy Joe said thing were getting better
This is more due to Congress passing legislation several years ago permitting export of oil. Now oil prices are driven by worldwide demand.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Of course, canceling/shutting down pipelines would have nothing to do with rising prices, nor would uncontrolled inflation.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Gas was $0.55 (US) when I started driving. A simple inflation calculator show this to be $3.99 in todays dollars. A gallon back then cost me about 25% of an hours pay. It is less than 10% today.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just checked the fuel mileage in my truck 7.5 mpg. Yeesh.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Filled my F150 last week $101.25 for 30 gallons. My F350 has a 50 gallon tank, guess which one is driven less.

Too bad I couldn't predict the lottery as well as I predicted what would happen back in Jan 21. Inflation, high fuel costs, high food costs and a war. So far 3 out of 4 came true. :eek:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Gas was $0.55 (US) when I started driving. A simple inflation calculator show this to be $3.99 in todays dollars. A gallon back then cost me about 25% of an hours pay. It is less than 10% today.
It was 16.9 cents a gallon when I started driving, and we would stop in the unbranded cheapy's gas station once a day and put 50 cents worth into the tank. One day the service station operator asked why we never put a dollar's worth of gas into the old car. I replied, never put more gas in than you think that the car will go before breaking down.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It was 16.9 cents a gallon when I started driving, and we would stop in the unbranded cheapy's gas station once a day and put 50 cents worth into the tank. One day the service station operator asked why we never put a dollar's worth of gas into the old car. I replied, never put more gas in than you think that the car will go before breaking down.
I worked with an old cheapskate that would only buy a dollars worth at a time. That was back in the day where an attendant would pump the gas. His theory was that they often ran past the $1.00 mark and he would get a penny or two for free. One day he needed to travel out of state and had the tank filled for the first time ever, well gas poured out due to the tank top being rusted thru. :LOL:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the leaders actually do have some control over it. Indirectly.

We (drivers/vehicle owners) have control over it too.

See this every single day. Next time I'm taking a picture! At the school house in the morning and again at 3:00, line of a couple hundred SUV's, sitting there in the road, idling. Some of them get there in the afternoons at like 1:30 and sit there for over an hour & a half waiting for the rodents to get outta school. I went by there Thurs afternoon at 2:19pm and they were lined up already. It was cool and windy outside so I would imagine that they was all sitting there with the heaters cranked up, engine running (obviously) wasting fuel. Then once they're out, they run 2 blocks down the road, drop em off at soccer practice (or whatever), drive 4 blocks back the other way to the house, park, an hour later drive those 4 blocks back to soccer practice, sit and wait, then go to walmart, walk around and chat it up with your nextdoor neighbor for an hour in the middle of the aisles, buy $5 worth of stuff, drive back home, oh crap forgot to get milk...get back in the SUV again, drive the 0.7 mile back to walmart, get milk, back home. By now you've wasted 5 gallons (or more) of fuel in JUST those activities, not counting the work commute, or picking up the other kid from the other school and taking them to the other practice(s).

Lady down the road from me, her "car" (suburban) never sits. And it gets, what, 11 mpg tops? Next time I'm down there I'm gonna ask her how much fuel she goes through. I bet it's gotta be 2 to 3 tanks a week.

I buy one tank every 2 weeks. My little antique runs about 30mpg on average. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Turbocharged, so gotta resist the urge to "hear it spool" else watch the gas gauge drop. On that note many modern cars are turbocharged, and while they can get great mileage and make good power, you can't have both. Meaning, if you want to save fuel, you have to keep your foot out of it. Pretend there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. My old 2019 Mustang had a MPG gauge or bar graph (had both) that told you what the MPG was doing instantly. It averaged 38.3 mpg in the last month I owned it. Over 40 on the highway; but had to be below 70mph and the speed limit it 75. On that note, they raised the speed limits on the freeways here recently and the reasoning was that cars and trucks (especially trucks) will use more fuel therefore fuel taxes collected would increase ;)

Point being, if we change our driving habits the cost will level off. But it's not likely we're gonna do that because it's inconvenient. We did it in what, 2008? No reason we can't again, rather tons of reasons we AREN'T.

D

Deleted member 47704

You have to compare to minimum wage rate , not what you are getting today.
Gas was .42 premium when I started driving and min wage was 2.31

$14 Min wage would have it about $2.54 today
We are paying $4.14 for premium

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 47704

I always wonder how much oil would be saved if all engine oil changes went to 7K miles?
A lot. We have been programmed to change oil every 3000 miles. The Europeons test the oil before changing, they run 15,000 miles between changes with no issues.
I've been testing for years.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I always wonder how much oil would be saved if all engine oil changes went to 7K miles?
Since a gallon of oil is roughly equivalent to a gallon of gasoline that isn't much being saved. My waste oil is being used to heat a shop at my neighbors farm. I believe that much of the used oil is recycled.

D

Deleted member 47704

Since a gallon of oil is roughly equivalent to a gallon of gasoline that isn't much being saved. My waste oil is being used to heat a shop at my neighbors farm. I believe that much of the used oil is recycled.
The average miles per driver is 14,000 per year.
4.6 changes per car @3000 miles change
2 changes per car @ 7000 per change

There are now almost 229 million Americans who have licenses, and they collectively drove over 3.2 trillion miles in 2019.

1,066,666,666.66 changes or gallons @ 3000 miles
457,142,857.14 " " @ 7000

609,523,808 gallons not used

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
A lot. We have been programmed to change oil every 3000 miles. The Europeons test the oil before changing, they run 15,000 miles between changes with no issues.
I've been testing for years.
Well that explains why I say Oy and Blimey and you sod a lot. People waste a LOT of gas, half of them are climate activists too.

And we wonder why Americans had the highest covid deaths due to comorbitiy. Because we sit on our butts and drive everywhere instead of walking a couple miles, fat and lazy comes to mind.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I guess those folks that take extrordinary care of their cars so they last for a long time are destroying everything. Those that ruin their cars and need to replace often are the preferred citizens. Perhaps one should do the math on the energy required to build a replacement vehicle and consider all that is required from mining the ore to the final delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.