Gas prices

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ummm, not to put too fine a point on it, but the Keystone XL pipeline wouldn't help in the slightest, even if it were up and running today. KXL was to ship primarily Canadian crude to US refineries. Colonial delivers finished product from the refineries.

Nor did cancelling KXL impact US gasoline prices. US gas prices rose this winter because cold weather in the US south impacted refining capacity (there's that free market at work again!) And again, the same thing would have happened even if Keystone was up and running already, because, as noted above, KXL was to ship crude TO the refineries.

Now, one could argue that cancelling KXL will keep gas prices from falling at some point years in the future. It won't really impact the supply -- the oil is already traveling by train. But trains cost more than pipelines. So theoretically, gas could become cheaper if the crude costs less to ship.

Except that most of the crude isn't for US consumption. It's for export after being refined. Keystone XL -- the XL stands for "Export Limited". Yes, that's right: American landowners were being forced off their lands by a private company claiming eminent domain; not for the benefit of other Americans, or to reduce dependency on foreign oil but so that foreign oil could be sold to other foreigners for a profit. Oh, and the company that owns the pipeline? It's not even American. The "TC" in TC Pipelines stands for "Trans Canada".

See, I was paying attention. Were you?

Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
If only there was a central governing body that would control the entire petrochemical industry.

That would make everything more gooder. Low prices and ample supply!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If only there was a central governing body that would control the entire petrochemical industry.

That would make everything more gooder. Low prices and ample supply!
Or, just the opposite! Government controlling something cost more, those folks are not familiar with a zero based budget and enjoy spending money so they get more next year!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Oh noes!

Well, I'm stumped. I just dont know how anyone can fix this! I really enjoyed the fuel prices of 2018 through 2020 compared to the last 3 months.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think I heard that the Gov of Mich shut down the #5 pipeline up in Mackinaw

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
How exactly is your President responsible?
I generally do not get political.... but it was reported that the current administration, in its zeal to UNdo everything of the past, had UNdone a cyber-security law regarding American national security. Obviously, some 'private' companies quickly ceased the cumbersome (and expensive) cyber-security behaviors.

I worked for a VERY large computer company for 30 years. EVERY employee had to take annual cyber-security training. EVERY password expires every 3 months and must be changed. Working From Home required a VPN secure connection. EVERY hard-drive on the network had to be encrypted. EVERY computer on the network had to pass cyber-security testing daily. (or would not be allowed to connect to the company network)

If a thumb drive was inserted into a computer anywhere on the company network... you would have a security-visiter by the end of the workday. THEY MONITORED EVERYTHING!!!!

In the end..... Cyber-security is a "doable" thing and companies can be hired to implement it for you.... but it is a PITA to change 20 passwords every 90 days and keep track of them. Some days, I spent more time figuring out how to work within the cyber-security framework than doing real work. IT COSTS MONEY!!!

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Ummm, not to put too fine a point on it, but the Keystone XL pipeline wouldn't help in the slightest, even if it were up and running today. KXL was to ship primarily Canadian crude to US refineries. Colonial delivers finished product from the refineries.

Nor did cancelling KXL impact US gasoline prices. US gas prices rose this winter because cold weather in the US south impacted refining capacity (there's that free market at work again!) And again, the same thing would have happened even if Keystone was up and running already, because, as noted above, KXL was to ship crude TO the refineries.

Now, one could argue that cancelling KXL will keep gas prices from falling at some point years in the future. It won't really impact the supply -- the oil is already traveling by train. But trains cost more than pipelines. So theoretically, gas could become cheaper if the crude costs less to ship.

Except that most of the crude isn't for US consumption. It's for export after being refined. Keystone XL -- the XL stands for "Export Limited". Yes, that's right: American landowners were being forced off their lands by a private company claiming eminent domain; not for the benefit of other Americans, or to reduce dependency on foreign oil but so that foreign oil could be sold to other foreigners for a profit. Oh, and the company that owns the pipeline? It's not even American. The "TC" in TC Pipelines stands for "Trans Canada".

See, I was paying attention. Were you?
You make it sound like the product isn't being moved. That is wrong. The product is still being moved, it is being moved unsafely on trains now instead of safely through the pipeline. One of the promises Xiden owed Buffet for.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I think I heard that the Gov of Mich shut down the #5 pipeline up in Mackinaw
*Trying to* shut down. She said, "shut it down, or else," and they basically said, "No, we're good, thanks."
Her deadline passed just recently, so she's going to be stepping it up, getting courts involved. I've read an opinion saying that basically Michigan has no say in it, as it's an agreement between Canada and the USA (federally). As a Michigander who uses propane, I hope that opinion is true.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You make it sound like the product isn't being moved. That is wrong. The product is still being moved, it is being moved unsafely on trains now instead of safely through the pipeline.
Please read again. I expressly pointed out that the product is moving by train right now.

As for comparative safety, I'm sure the residents of lac-Megantic would probably sympathize with your position.

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
How exactly is your President responsible? A private company decided to shut down it's operations because some of their computers were infected with ransomware. The supply chain reacted by increasing the price of gas, like always.

This is private enterprise and the free market at it's finest: save money by skimping on security and gouge the customer for all you can get when there's a perceived shortage.

I know haters gotta hate, but come on man, put some effort into it! Make sure there is at least some possible correlation between the thing you hate and the story you spread.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Never let a crises go to waste, the stimulus checks, guns, gas fuel prices through the roof, farmers getting it up the wazoo, food prices on the rise. It seems to this old country boy at least, it is all about control, nothing more. Was the gas line hack a red herring? I dont know but somehow things seem to be somewhat suspect to me. I may not be the brightest bulb in the string, but there is some cognitive activity in the gray matter some days

Reactions: 2 users