Gas prices

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Now , stop and think. What if the hackers had stopped an electrical grid somewhere??? You can't store 110 volts of electricity. Utter chaos within hours. I really do think this is going to happen someday.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Now , stop and think. What if the hackers had stopped an electrical grid somewhere??? You can't store 110 volts of electricity. Utter chaos within hours. I really do think this is going to happen someday.
An inverter to battery bank, and rectifier back to the house will do this. Also backup generators produce 110 VAC, and every AC electric motor is also an AC generator at the power output and frequency it is wired up for. So a 3HP 480V 1800RPM motor will create its Full Load Amps (or whatever draw below that is called for) of 480 VAC at 60 Hz if it is rotated at 1800 RPM.

So technically if you wanted to you could make your own wind mill power generator with a motor, gearbox, controller, brake, and fan blade. Use the controller to regulate brake pressure to keep the rotation of the fan blades at whatever the correct RPM of the motor is and you are now making your own power. If you use a rectifier to turn the AC to DC you can then store that in a battery bank and then an inverter on the other end to pull from said bank and you can be off the grid.

Also if you wanted to get really fancy you can hook the fan up to a hydrostatic system that allows you to stack multiple motors onto one fan blade allowing more fine tune control, power generation potential, and less losses to heat due to the brake constantly trying to regulate speed.

Entirely off topic but thought someone might find it fun.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The whole system is vulnerable to an attack, As Mr. Scott said.
The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Virginia gas station charges nearly $7 a gallon: 'You can't do that to people' | News Headlines | kmov.com

RICHMOND, VA (WTVR) – A gas station in Richmond, Virginia was charging $6.99 per gallon of gasoline Tuesday afternoon.

Colonial Pipeline's 6-day shutdown causes gas demand spike in region

Colonial Pipeline's 6-day shutdown causes gas demand spike in region
(CNN/KMOV.com) -- The Colonial Pipeline launched the restart of its operations Wednesday eve…

Lether Kerney took a hit to the wallet when she unassumingly pulled up to the BP gas station on Williamsburg Road.

"I had half a tank of gas, so when it got to $25, I started looking to see what was going on. And after I got to $30, I was like, 'oh my God! I spent $35.45 to fill up my tank. Six gallons of gas for $35. That's absolutely ridiculous,” she recalled.

Kerney said when she pulled up the station, she was unaware gas was $5.99 per gallon and spent double what she usually would. "Usually, it's under $3.00. This BP service station has always been the cheapest, and I didn’t even look at the price before I started pumping,” said Kerney.

Attachments

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
I live in North Carolina and try to look for a bright side when something bad happens. Yesterday I started chanting "we're number 1, we're number 1". Wife said "what are we number 1 at?". I replied "Since the pipeline shut down, NC is number 1 in percentage of gas stations completely out of gas on the whole east coast!" :confused: /sarcasm off.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Total idiots. Mississippi was not affected by the pipeline shutdown but "toilet paper" mentality has emptied the tanks at several gas stations and there is a $10 purchase limit at some others.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
As of yesterday NC was #2, DC was #1 - we were at about 65% of stations out of gas.

Gotta love living rural - my local stations actually had far less trouble than the city ones. My daughter works at one of those - what a mess for her, having to tell everyone they're out. They finally just roped off the entire place...

As for security - it's truly amazing how LITTLE attention these big companies give security. Everything from locking systems down, firewalls, etc.. Even simple stuff like basic password security - storing them unencrypted, for example. It's a bit of a personal gripe because I work in the industry, and a lot of this is really basic stuff. But it almost seems that the bigger the company, the less they care.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
....It's a bit of a personal gripe because I work in the industry, and a lot of this is really basic stuff.
I was once told by a fellow IT professional "If you're not paranoid about security, you don't know what's going on!"

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
This topic got me wondering about the company I work at. I talked with IT director and not going into a lot of details in a public forum, he explained several layers that they had put into place to try to prevent it and what layers they have in case someone is successful. I was actually surprised at the depth of security they had put into place and then when he told me the cost of it all, I was really shocked.

He explained that they can be back up and running within 48 hours after an incident. I was impressed.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
$7? That's a normal price in Europe these days (Belgium is $6.5/gallon, and several countries are more expensive). It sure doesn't keep people from driving though...

Those lines and quantity limits remind me of the '70s oil crisis, now almost 50 years ago: same panic, same behavior.

Virginia gas station charges nearly $7 a gallon: 'You can't do that to people' | News Headlines | kmov.com
RICHMOND, VA (WTVR) – A gas station in Richmond, Virginia was charging $6.99 per gallon of gasoline Tuesday afternoon.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
This topic got me wondering about the company I work at. I talked with IT director and not going into a lot of details in a public forum, he explained several layers that they had put into place to try to prevent it and what layers they have in case someone is successful. I was actually surprised at the depth of security they had put into place and then when he told me the cost of it all, I was really shocked.

He explained that they can be back up and running within 48 hours after an incident. I was impressed.
That's good to hear - at least SOME companies get it right.

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The product in the pipeline only travels about 5 mph so at that rate it will take a while to replenish whatever is empty.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
$3.05 87 octane this morning. $3.51 diesel.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Happens every time there is a big storm.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Hybirdizing my car
savin $.jpg

harbor freight kit

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You can all thank Biden supporters for this
How exactly is your President responsible? A private company decided to shut down it's operations because some of their computers were infected with ransomware. The supply chain reacted by increasing the price of gas, like always.

This is private enterprise and the free market at it's finest: save money by skimping on security and gouge the customer for all you can get when there's a perceived shortage.

I know haters gotta hate, but come on man, put some effort into it! Make sure there is at least some possible correlation between the thing you hate and the story you spread.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
How exactly is your President responsible?
It seems to me that a few months ago, everything was the prior President’s fault. If you don’t know what the current President has done to increase gas prices, you haven’t been paying attention. It seems to most people that having another major pipeline might be a good idea, but not to the current President who shut the building down. Gas prices were rising way before this latest “issue”.