Garage/Workshop Build

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
This winter I started planning my new garage build. I currently have a 8x12 shed in my backyard and wanna replace it with a 26x24 garage. I plan on using this to park the tractor and implements (backhoe, snowblower and ciment mixer). I'm planning on using this thread to post my progress until the end of the summer.

The first part was the design:
garage-4.jpg

Then, today I started removing the siding off the old shed:
PXL_20220226_160054839.jpg

When there will be less snow (hopefully within the 3 next weeks), I'll start removing the shingles. The difficult part will be to get rid of the slab. It's 4" reinforced. It's a shame I can't reuse it. And it's way too heavy for this tractor to pull anywhere around. So I'll just break it.

I plan on doing absolutely everything other than the soffit/fascia. It's gonna be a nice challenge. The only thing I've built before was that shed.
I plan on reusing the old shingles just to do the starters on the new garage. I'll reuse my siding on the back wall too. And those OSB on the old shed, I can probably use them to build shelves and a workbench. I received my order of lumber and OSB last week. I wanted to get it early to beat to spring rush. I'm really kicking myself for not having done it in december. OSB was 27$ (CAD) in december (and it was 8$ when I build that shed above) and now I paid 60!!!

Believe it or not, what you see in this picture is worth 10K$. I can't believe I'm doing this to myself.

PXL_20220215_182514745.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.
This winter I started planning my new garage build. I currently have a 8x12 shed in my backyard and wanna replace it with a 26x24 garage. I plan on using this to park the tractor and implements (backhoe, snowblower and ciment mixer). I'm planning on using this thread to post my progress until the end of the summer.

The first part was the design:
View attachment 75748

Then, today I started removing the siding off the old shed:
View attachment 75749

When there will be less snow (hopefully within the 3 next weeks), I'll start removing the shingles. The difficult part will be to get rid of the slab. It's 4" reinforced. It's a shame I can't reuse it. And it's way too heavy for this tractor to pull anywhere around. So I'll just break it.

I plan on doing absolutely everything other than the soffit/fascia. It's gonna be a nice challenge. The only thing I've built before was that shed.
I plan on reusing the old shingles just to do the starters on the new garage. I'll reuse my siding on the back wall too. And those OSB on the old shed, I can probably use them to build shelves and a workbench. I received my order of lumber and OSB last week. I wanted to get it early to beat to spring rush. I'm really kicking myself for not having done it in december. OSB was 27$ (CAD) in december (and it was 8$ when I build that shed above) and now I paid 60!!!

Believe it or not, what you see in this picture is worth 10K$. I can't believe I'm doing this to myself.

View attachment 75751
It really looks great. Nice project you have planned. I think you will love the storage space. I know you asked for no input…It’s really none of my business, and I do not mean to be disrespectful, but if you plan to leave the loader and bucket on you will have very limited mobility backing an implement in with the garage door so tight to the RH side of the building. I am sure it depends on how you plan to store and move things around. I’d want to know that before I started building….only reason I mention it. Anyway it looks great….roofline / pitches…your neighbors will be jealous. 👍

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That's Awesome! (No pun intended...) ;)

That stack of lumber/supplies would have been $7k a few years ago, but could be $12-15k 90 days from now, if you can get them.....

It's the world we live in now. Good time for you to get the stuff in the yard.

We're planning some work here too, and supply-chain stuff concerns me.

Gotta ask...and not being a smart ass....why are you doing everything, except the soffit and fascia??

Looking forward to your progress!! Thanks much! (y)

Last edited:

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
The gable end above the garage door is genius. I told my wife this year I would never ever ever again have a door that did not have a gable roof over it. so tired of 2 ft of frozen ice and snow in front of the door.

Reactions: 1 user

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
That's Awesome! (No pun intended...) ;)

That stack of lumber/supplies would have been $7k a few years ago, but could be $12-15k 90 days from now, if you can get them.....

It's the world we live in now. Good time for you to get the stuff in the yard.

We're planning some work here too, and supply-chain stuff concerns me.

Gotta ask...and not being a smart ass....why are you doing everything, except the soffit and fascia??

Looking forward to your progress!! Thanks much! (y)
haha. I know I can do everything even the concrete floor (with the help of my dad who's in the trade). But soffit is just a PITA. I don't have the patience nor the proper tools.

Thanks @top gnome . Yeah, I mostly did that for the looks. It's gonna be a real challenge to do. I am not at all in the construction business, this is a big project for me.

@rc51stierhoff : You're right, it's gonna be tight. But our car garage is 20' deep and I can do it. Not easily but good enough.

@GreensvilleJay : I stacked them this way on purpose to prevent them to twist. I moved all of it in the car garage now, but stacked the same way. I didn't wanna leave that OSB in the weather.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The gable end above the garage door is genius. I told my wife this year I would never ever ever again have a door that did not have a gable roof over it. so tired of 2 ft of frozen ice and snow in front of the door.
What am I missing? ( edit: I think I see it now )

Looks like that gable, if I am understanding what a gable is, is over the garage door opening...so what advantage could it have?

Of course, I mean if access were needed to storage under the roof...I guess I see your point in retrospect...as long as the gable is wide enough...if snow is an issue...

2nd edit: Good planning Awesome...

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
What am I missing? ( edit: I think I see it now )

Looks like that gable, if I am understanding what a gable is, is over the garage door opening...so what advantage could it have?

Of course, I mean if access were needed to storage under the roof...I guess I see your point in retrospect...as long as the gable is wide enough...if snow is an issue...

2nd edit: Good planning Awesome...
It has no purpose. Sure, it helps with ice. But I only put it there so it looks less plain. It really changes the look. It's very common around where I live.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Suggestions:
The wide window is pricey compared to square windows, 2 would give better light and air.
The 8 foot door isn't very wide when it comes to moving equipment in and out.
Having the garage door and man door on the same corner means the shear strength on that corner is greatly reduced, make sure you put 2 bolts per wall side in that corner.
Use the old slab as fill for the base, it will save concrete that you need to buy.
Just make sure it's under finish slab by several inches.

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
@North Idaho Wolfman : I guess I'm just realizing now that this picture is old. My latest design has a 10ft door. Many familly members gave me that advice.

About the corner: Thank you very much, I had no idea. I'll make sure I do that. I placed them that way to save space. So yeah, I'll use bolts.

About using the old slab: I don't think that's legal, at least not around here. But then again, I'm certainly not going to tell everyone on a forum if I was planning on doing such a terrible thing.

Reactions: 1 users

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
If the old shed is inside the perimiter of the new building, and the elevation of the existing slab is not above your projected new pad height, leave it pour the new one over it. Im going to do the same thing here if I live long enough! A thin layer of gravel and control joints cut into the new slab taking the edges of the old one into consideration will work fine. Not much difference between doing that and pouring over a large rock. A couple pieces of 3/8" rebar laying on top of it would also be an inexpensive consideration.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
That's about the size of my shop/"guest space". A two floor deal. It was paradise when I bought the place 10 years ago, today it is cramped. I think that's about perfect dimensionally provided you don't start "collecting" a lot of life's extras. A well known occurrence amongst a subset of the population : Cars, motorcycles, metal shop equipment........... If that could be you consider siting it in such a fashion that you can expand it possibly from the rear at some point without encroaching on the property line/violating setbacks and such. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Nice size and it should be a fun project. Looking forward to following your progress.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
It has no purpose. Sure, it helps with ice. But I only put it there so it looks less plain. It really changes the look. It's very common around where I live.
On my current house I have a my garage door and unfortunately both man doors and my sidewalk on the side of the house that the entire snow load from the roof lands on. So, instead of shoveling or plowing 6 inches of snow I get to shovel or plow 2 or 3 feet as it slides off of the metal roof. It looks really good too. I am thinking about building a similar building but putting the big door and garage door on the gable end. trying to get concrete slap quotes now.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if possible, consider a 10x10 door...unless you ALWAYS bend down your ROPS.......
don't ask WHY I know about this......:(

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
if possible, consider a 10x10 door...unless you ALWAYS bend down your ROPS.......
don't ask WHY I know about this......:(
yeah, it's gonna be 10' width, I uploaded the wrong version of the plan. But the height is 8'. I don't think I need to fold the rops with 8'. I'll double check the height of my tractor again

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
With 8' high door, I JUST clear to get BX23S in/out BUT I have level concrete pad outside door.....

also consider if you ever want a cab or lightbar up top....

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
ok, very good to know. That's gonna change a few things ...