Future Farmer...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Virginia Tech is the East Coast largest ag collage. That and a local store Souther States can do soil samples as well. I had planned to mention to the customer to send soil samples off to be tested and have the results explain indetail everything needed for a sucessful run.

Dude needs to make him mind up quick fast and in a hurry because the window to plant seed is getting smaller and smaller by the day. He may not be able to get a pasture in this year if he drags his feet much longer.

So as far as equipment I'd need one of these

One of these discs

And if I understand right a seeder like this?

Last edited:

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Wow again is all I can say .

Really for a goat farm if ya want to seed grass on that place all you need is a broadcast seeder behind a tractor and seed it and Fertilize it and it will be fine . The small saplings a bushhog will take them out . But me my self I would let the goats do it give them something to do .

I have raised goats and all this $30,000 for grass is crazy .

There's really nothing to do on that ground but broad cast seed and fertilize it . Maybe at most hit the saplings with a hog . And what few there is I would just use a hand axe .
The dozer guy done a real good job .

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Eric,
Yep those and a spike tooth harrow to knock it all down before seeding.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
WELL...... you asked for advice................ LOL...... I see lots of it. :D :D :D
Spending money on goats must be the meat kind or milkers or something for money I would think. If not must be a pricey hobby. If he wants to spend money he could get into offshore boats...............like me; that is definately lots of money. :D :D:D:D

Last edited:

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
When I raised goats I never spend money like this . Crazy I say goats don't need all that fancy grass and work . And the grounds super great I would just broadcast seed it and let it grow .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WELL...... you asked for advice................ LOL...... I see lots of it. :D :D :D
Spending money on goats must be the meat kind or milkers or something for money I would think. If not must be a pricey hobby. If he wants to spend money he could get into offshore boats...............like me; that is definately lots of money. :D :D:D:D

Boat = Break Out Another Thousand = $$$$ Poof

Love boats, But they are pricey, just like Planes and oh yes Tractors!!!! :D

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Boat = Blow Out Another Thousand = $$$$ Poof

Love boats, But they are pricey, just like Planes and oh yes Tractors!!!! :D

Yea, I'm just thinking that someone will spend money where they want to so the dollar comparison that usually comes up is not subject to reason it is only subject to the one who is spending the money. So like me I spend crazy money on boats but I wouldn't spend that much on goats but the goat guy is probably just the opposite.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

LOL Yep.

In the boating community we have levels of progression.
First it is the hole in the water aka: break out another thousand.
Second it is the two happiest days: the purchase and the sale.
This is where most are done. But if one continues.....
Third is two-foot-itis: each boat sale and purchase is two foot larger.
Finally the result is "A way of life". This is when one is a committed boater and they live for the great boating experience and water life. I am so there. :D :D :D

This is for power boats. I don't know about blow boats, aka sail boat. LOL

Attachments

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Yea, I'm just thinking that someone will spend money where they want to so the dollar comparison that usually comes up is not subject to reason it is only subject to the one who is spending the money. So like me I spend crazy money on boats but I wouldn't spend that much on goats but the goat guy is probably just the opposite.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

LOL Yep.

In the boating community we have levels of progression.
First it is the hole in the water aka: break out another thousand.
Second it is the two happiest days: the purchase and the sale.
This is where most are done. But if one continues.....
Third is two-foot-itis: each boat sale and purchase is two foot larger.
Finally the result is "A way of life". This is when one is a committed boater and they live for the great boating experience and water life. I am so there. :D :D :D

This is for power boats. I don't know about blow boats, aka sail boat. LOL

Ahhhh ya just still a wannabe.:D

My son's vessel. approx. $42,000 a day to operate:eek:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/pho...rds:9475935/ship_name:OVERSEAS CASCADE#212707

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Ahhhh ya just still a wannabe.:D

My son's vessel. approx. $42,000 a day to operate:eek:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/pho...rds:9475935/ship_name:OVERSEAS CASCADE#212707

Well I have more than a day of his operation cost tied up in my boats but my dually can't tow that freighter he has. :D :D :D
Right now I have kept a limitation of a trailer queen for size but I am nearly maxed out in that area. My truck and boat hooked up are over 70' and it is not easy to navigate streets.
I'm sure he has more horsepower than I do but I can out run him with my measly 1000HP. LOL :D:D:D
I am a hard core boater as I like to get out in any weather as long as there is no ice. :D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was figuring the plowing would need to be done in order to get out roots from anything the dozer left behind. I walked quite a bit of the land and I can see dozes of spots where roots are still roughly at the surface. My guess is the dozer used a 6 way blade and pushed. Then I figured a disc job to break up the plow clods and get it more seed bed ready. The ground was packed hard as a brick from the dozer tracks.

Me thinks this job won't pan out for the fact of the 3 day monsoon weather we just had here. I'd say the land owner would need a solid 2 weeks of dry weather to get the dirty dry enough to get equipment on. Some areas of town are getting flooded out here.

The window to plant anything especially on 15 acres is getting smaller and smaller to plant by the day. Dude may not get what he wants this year regardless of who he hires.