Fuel

What should I do with the 25 gal of fuel?

• Get rid of it

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Use it, it's fine

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Use it, but mix it 50/50 with fresh fuel

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
New BX25D owner, and I've yet to even use up the fuel in the tank. I love how efficient this unit is. My old Husqvarna DRANK gas with the Kawasaki V-Twin.

About a year ago I picked up a cheap diesel generator, which promptly self destructed at the 20-hr mark. Before it self-destructed, I had picked up 5 nice new metal 5-gallon fuel jugs. I filled them all with diesel from my local station mid-January last year (so just under a year ago) so that I'd have fuel for the diesel generator. I had also bought some PRI-D to treat the diesel at the time, but never added it, as I kind of forgot about everything when the generator self-destructed.

Fast-forward to November last year, when I saw the cans in the garage, and thought, gee, should probably add that PRI-D, which I did :)

Now, I've got the brand new BX25D, and I'm looking at these cans and wondering if the fuel is safe. . .

A quick google search yields lots of articles saying that modern diesel fuel is no good only a month of two after purchase, but these same articles are generally written by the guys selling the stabilizers :)

Now, I *DID* treat the fuel with PRI-D, but not until after letting it sit for nearly 11 months. If I believe PRI-D, the fuel is now 100% safe to use, because their product magically fixed it I'd like to believe that, but I'm highly skeptical and DO NOT want to damage my nice brand-new diesel.

What would you do? (see poll)

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use it as fuel to burn slash piles!
It's most likely bad, and could really mess up your BX!

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If it looks & smells like diesel and has been stored inside I'd use it in the tractor.
I've stored diesel up to around a year with no problems.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
If the tanks were really full and your not in a humid climate I would agree with Bluegill BUTTT to be on the safe side.... use it at say 20% mix with new diesel.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
NetMagi
I agree I'd use the stored fuel in any of my 4 tractors even my M7040.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would be a tad hesitant on using it,, Look fuel is cheap compared to having to take the filters off, and replace, drain the tank, and refill with new fuel then have to change the filters again to get what ever algae or water or what ever out of it,, naww I am a cheap SOB, but that stuff would go to the brush pile and I would buy FRESH fuel,, just MHO

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Ever try to get a chain saw started with old fuel....blisters, sweat, cussing and then throwing

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
If you burn oil for heat, cut it 10% with some kerosene and throw it in your oil tank. Your boiler will burn that right up with no problems. If not, any local garage that burns wate oil will gladly take it from you. It also works well for a water repellant with wood, used to coat my snowmobile trailer with it.

Last edited:

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Got anything else you can run it in besides your new BX? Can't agree with the others about burning the slash, etc.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ever try to get a chain saw started with old fuel....blisters, sweat, cussing and then throwing

Been there done that .....as I get older .....I stop throwing ......well, ok maybe not! :eek:

about a week ago - the power went out, home alone -bored to death, I said hell, I 'll get the genny up and running, went outside, choked the ol' girl, pulled and pulled and pulled........... (no ethanol gas and had been stabilized)

after pulling the plug, and that was a cluster fck .......no start!!!

so i cussed and quit, power came on 30 minutes later.....

then that weekend I went in the shed, took a screwdriver handle , tapped on the float......choked and pulled .....second pull, ran like a charm!!!!

funny how the brain STOPS working when you are pissed !:D

Patrick BX

Equipment
BX2660 w/ LA243 Loader and RCK60B23BX
Nov 13, 2014
Midland, MI
Diesel fuel is a light oil, oil doesn't go bad from sitting. Lots of diesel equipment around here on the farms that sit for most of the year (like the combines) with fuel in the tanks and no problems. Algae in the fuel is pretty unlikely in new cans in your climate. If it were me I would pour it through a funnel with a screen in it and run it in the tractor, maybe fill up the first time when there is still 1/2 tank of new fuel in it. I would sell it on craigslist before just throwing it on a fire. Someone will buy it.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
3 years ago I bought a Kubota M4500 that hadn't moved in at least 5 years (sat outside). The tank was about 1/2 full. Started and ran perfectly even after all that time (and the weather in Ohio isn't the best for partially filled fuel containers). As long as the lids were on tight it'll be fine. Put a splash of Diesel 911 in each can if it makes you feel better.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Yep, diesel no problem. Can sit like propane if no moisture accumulates.

Run it and don't worry.

If I was going to store it long term, I would add an algicide.

After Rita, we started keeping diesel long term. No issues what-so-ever. Runs fine. Kubota's, cummins, power stroke...

Doc

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Now if you had stored the fuel in plastic cans and had it sitting where sunlight could get to the fuel I would worry. Having it in metal can stored inside I don't see a problem. If it was mine I would filter it and use it.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Only chain saws I've been around operated on gasoline not diesel. Non bio-diesel will store a long time with no ill affects.

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the replies. I don't have any other use for the fuel, and the majority opinion seems to be that it's probably fine.

They are metal cans, they're filled to the brim (very little airspace), and stored inside a detached garage. It's not heated, but is insulated.

I picked up a Mr. Funnel fuel filter funnel and will be running the fuel through that, as well as diluting the fuel 50/50 with new and fresh diesel just to be safe.

I have 4 full cans, and one half-full can, so I'll top off the half-full can with fresh diesel, use the whole thing, than fill that can to the halfway mark from a full can, top off both of those cans with fresh diesel, and rinse and repeat until I'm through all of it.