Frustrated with 3 Pt turnbuckle and my options to replace them

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I have an L3800 HST R4 tires (not adjustable to widen track) and the inside span between the rear tires is 29 5/8 inches.

For comparison sake my previous L3010 had 31 3/8 inch rear span, and with the telescoping link stabilizers...... I had to be very careful when hooking up 3 pt equipment to insure the stabilizers didn't rub the tires, as it was a really tight fit!

I have a set of telescoping stabilizers (seem to take up a little more width than the turnbuckles) on order with Mark, and it appears I will need to add either 1" or 1.5" spacers to the wheels to make all this work and get away from the original turnbuckle style stabilizers.

I had also thought of staying with the turnbuckles.......leaving them in a fixed position, and converting 3 of my non conforming pieces of equipment to the correct width so I would never need to mess with adjusting the turnbuckles. However I'm not sure about the durability of the turnbuckles.

Comments or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I have a B2320 with turf tires and the space between the tires is about 25". I have zero problems within any of my 3 point attachments. What exactly is happening that creates an issue?

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
How about adding a quick hitch? That would eliminate the need for changing out the turnbuckles as well as making 3pt hookups a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I have a JD 2010 that has so much room I didn't know what to do with it compared to my L3800. I too was frustrated with the tight space to work on the L3800. Before coming here to this forum I had no idea that the different categories were different widths and heights, I thought the only difference was the diameter of the pins. Someone on here pointed out the differences.

I bring this up because all but one of my implements are cat 1, which is what you need. When I hook up the cat 2 which has cat 1 pins, it is a real pain in the butt as the turn buckles almost hit the tires. With the others that are truely cat 1 there's a few inches to work with between the turn buckles and the tires.

So do you know if your implements are truly cat 1? Sounds like they might be cat 2.

I fixed my problem by purchasing a quick hitch, removing the hook on the top and adding the "Y" top link hook up. Once I added the bushing adapters to each of my cat 1 implements, attaching and dropping implements became a breeze. With the exception of my box blade that's a cat 2, that requires me to take off my quick hitch completely. I should really sell it and buy a cat1 box blade but I don't use it that much.

Hope that helps and doesn't comfuse you too much, I'm about a pot of coffee in and it's raining. So no playing on my kubota today,wish I would have gotten those sunflowers planted yesterday. Oh wel...

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Thanks for the responses.

Benhameen - I assumed all my stuff was Cat 1 (box blade is questionable), so I will research the difference and see if that sheds any light on the situation.
Do you have R4 tires?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Yes I have R-4s.
One last question.........does the quick hitch provide more space between the stabilizers and the tires, or just make it easier to hook-up to the implements?

Thanks again for your help!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a B2320 with turf tires and the space between the tires is about 25". I have zero problems within any of my 3 point attachments. What exactly is happening that creates an issue?
On the B2320, the stabilizers are on the inside of the lift arms- it's a non-issue with tire interference.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One last question.........does the quick hitch provide more space between the stabilizers and the tires, or just make it easier to hook-up to the implements?

A QH make it where you set the stabilizers semi tight and forget about them, no need to change them from implement to implement. ;)

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.

Like wolfman said, you set it and go. Mine will loosen up a little from time to time otherwise I don't mess with them at all.