Front ballast question

botaloada

Equipment
Bx2380, FEL, MMM, 4' rotary cutter
Dec 17, 2023
PA
Hi all,

I'm a new tractor owner, I have a bx2380 with FEL. I bought a 4' rotary cutter to mow a lower field on my property. The lower part has a decent slope to it. If I take the FEL off, do I need to add suitcase weights to the front? The rotary cutter weighs around 470 lbs. Any other helpful information I should know?

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Hi all,

I'm a new tractor owner, I have a bx2380 with FEL. I bought a 4' rotary cutter to mow a lower field on my property. The lower part has a decent slope to it. If I take the FEL off, do I need to add suitcase weights to the front? The rotary cutter weighs around 470 lbs. Any other helpful information I should know?
If you think about what you want to do, by removing the FELs (approx 470Lbs) weight, you would need to ADD that weight in another form of ballast. Suitcase (I think) weights would be the best way to go about it.

But, the FEL is already doing the job for ballast. Unless there's a space issue, why not leave the FEL mounted?

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all,

No way to know without trying but, as previously stated, leaving the loader on provides significant front ballast at the expense of maneuverability issues.

botaloada

Equipment
Bx2380, FEL, MMM, 4' rotary cutter
Dec 17, 2023
PA
There's no space issue, I had read somewhere it was questionable with keeping it attached for operation on hills. I'm not opposed to leaving it on. Just looking for advice from others with experience.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Your rotary cutter - it have only ONE wheel on the rear of the cutter? Or is it supported with wheels around the perimeter of the mower?

1702834250410.png
or
1702834310618.png

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I put together a Belarus 550Lb weight pack for 3PH use, a short time ago. It could be easily adapted to the front for your type of use. Maybe you could source out something similar.

I've tried to add an image to my post, but it will not.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
There's no space issue, I had read somewhere it was questionable with keeping it attached for operation on hills. I'm not opposed to leaving it on. Just looking for advice from others with experience.
I always remove FELS each spring when I prepare my tractors for summer mowing duty. Less power-robbing weight to move around while interfering with maneuverability, serviceability and storage.

I remove mowers and remount FELS on all tractors each fall after fall service.

Reactions: 2 users

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Like others have mentioned I' m in agreement, but there will be times in the future you want to remove for maneuverability so you might want to keep your eyes open for used weights (a little clean up goes a long way) or new if you prefer when the time comes. The weight is closer in and there is a max. suggested on front end.
Enjoy your mechanized work hand.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I have never removed my FEL to mow, but sometimes I remove the bucket. This gives me some ballast in the front without sacrificing visibility or maneuverability. In any event, keep the FEL low to the ground.

Just my 2 cents (now worth less than a penny).

Jack

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
make sure you go up and down and NOT sideways on the hills.
well you can if you want, just be sure life insurance is paid up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
a loader makes a great brake when going downhill and the tractor is gaining more speed than you feel comfortable with.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree with don't take the loader off if you are mowing on a hill. If it's flat, then it might be worth saving the fuel.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Makes me wonder how steep the slope is if you are seriously concerned about the front of the tractor lifting due to the weight of the brush hog on the back. As I suppose you know, the three point system can not hold an implement down, just gravity doing that. So if the front of the tractor came up, the brush hog would be resting on the ground, rather than hanging off the back of the tractor. This based on your statement that you know to go straight up or down the slope, not side hill.

On occasion I cut a seriously steep slope, nearly 33 degrees. I back up it in 4WD with the diff lock on, the cutter up, and then lower the cutter and cut on the way down. And then move over a little and do it again. I can not imagine doing that with the FEL on.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Makes me wonder how steep the slope is if you are seriously concerned about the front of the tractor lifting due to the weight of the brush hog on the back. As I suppose you know, the three point system can not hold an implement down, just gravity doing that. So if the front of the tractor came up, the brush hog would be resting on the ground, rather than hanging off the back of the tractor. This based on your statement that you know to go straight up or down the slope, not side hill.

On occasion I cut a seriously steep slope, nearly 33 degrees. I back up it in 4WD with the diff lock on, the cutter up, and then lower the cutter and cut on the way down. And then move over a little and do it again. I can not imagine doing that with the FEL on.
I do the same thing in some areas, and it cannot be done with FEL installed.

I've been mowing with various tractor/mower combinations on flat, steep, and/or obstacle covered parcels for over 50 years and have learned that the benefits of removing FELS far outweigh any benefits of leaving such on while mowing except in rare exceptional circumstances.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I do the same thing in some areas, and it cannot be done with FEL installed.

I've been mowing with various tractor/mower combinations on flat, steep, and/or obstacle covered parcels for over 50 years and have learned that the benefits of removing FELS far outweigh any benefits of leaving such on while mowing except in rare exceptional circumstances.
Agreed. My experience as well thus far, but you’ve got me by better than a decade.

Ever have the hydrostatic range lever drop into neutral on a hill? That will get your blood pumping. I make dang sure the range lever is fully engaged, usually in low for slopes. A friend of mine had it happen to her too, so I guess it happens.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Agreed. My experience as well thus far, but you’ve got me by better than a decade.

Ever have the hydrostatic range lever drop into neutral on a hill? That will get your blood pumping. I make dang sure the range lever is fully engaged, usually in low for slopes. A friend of mine had it happen to her too, so I guess it happens.
Fortunately, that has not happened to me but have had older gear drive tractors pop out of gear on steep slopes.

Many rollover injuries while mowing across slopes are caused by under-inflated tires on the downhill side peeling off of the rim causing the downhill side rim to dig into the ground and the tractor to roll over. Such accidents have become more common in recent years with the advent of tubeless tires filled with beet juice. Yet another reason while I do not use liquid ballast.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Yes, in the 3 years I have owned this tractor I have knocked the range lever out of gear a couple of times.

I leave the loader on for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is I use it as a backup for the parking brake anytime I have to get off the tractor on a hill. That brake does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling .....

Dan

Reactions: 1 users