Front axle locked up

wargle

Feb 26, 2012
Talladega, Al.
I have a B7100 HST 4wd. Cutting grass the other day with the front axle engaged the front wheels suddenly locked up. I took it out of 4W backed up a few feet pulled forward a foot or so and the front wheels locked up again. I could see no visible problem with front drive shaft, etc. I can back the tractor up but when I try to drive forward both front wheels start to slide. Any ideas?

otter

Equipment
L3800, LA524 loader, BH77 backhoe, thumb, box blade small wood lot log grapple
Sep 26, 2014
Chase, Alaska
Start with the simple stuff.
Fluid level?
With the front end jacked up do the wheels turn?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You are in for an axle or drive shaft rebuild, you have damaged something in there.
Could be as simple as bad U-joint, or as bad as a broken gear.

Start by getting the WSM off kubotabooks.com
Then take one pictures of the axle as they used several different versions over the years.

Get it in a good location to work on it.
First remove the drive shaft cover, that will let you see if the issue is in the drive shaft U-joint.

Next you'll need to be able to drop the front end (you'll have to drop the whole frame down in order to get out the axle pivot pin out).

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why would you cut a lawn in 4wd with the front tires digging into the lawn, especially when turning? But then people do strange things and pay for their actions down the road.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Why would you cut a lawn in 4wd with the front tires digging into the lawn, especially when turning? But then people do strange things and pay for their actions down the road.
Judgemental, and balony. I also have to mow part of my yard in 4WD. You are making a huge leap, without knowing any other details, in assuming that mowing his grass while in 4WD caused his problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sidecarflip, really... again????
Why do you make such comments, it's perfectly acceptable to mow in 4wd, in fact Kubota designed them to work in 4wd all the time!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sidecarflip, really... again????
Why do you make such comments, it's perfectly acceptable to mow in 4wd, in fact Kubota designed them to work in 4wd all the time!
Seems counter productive to me. Even when I had my smaller Kubby's, I never mowed the lawn in 4wd. Always 2wd.

Whatever blows your dress up I guess. I wouldn't and never have.

No little tractors here anymore.:D

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I'll give you a good reason why someone might mow in 4-wheel drive:
Four wheels pull all-together where two wheels dig trenches in some soils.
BTDT

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
???? My 7200 has almost 2000 hours on it and I have virtually operated all those hours in 4wd as they were designed for and as Wolfman says. I have tried to operate in 2wd when I do occasionally use it for cutting grass thinking that I might save some wear and tear on parts but usually switch back to 4wd when the rear wheels start to spin on a hill. Frankly I am thankful that I ordered it with 4wd as for my use I would be spinning my wheels most of the time. Sure I have replaced the universals on the front drive shaft and rebuilt both front axles recently but considering the amount of loader and B/H work I do I am always amazed by what this tractor can do. I am always looking for signs of wear or oil leaks and address any issues immediately. If you look after it, it will look after you.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I'll give you a good reason why someone might mow in 4-wheel drive:
Four wheels pull all-together where two wheels dig trenches in some soils.
BTDT
Yep. Mowing next to a pond or up a dew covered hill makes 4WD nice.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Lol.. there’s one like you on every board. Smartest guy in the room.
I only use 4wd in sticky situations and try not to turn sharp while the front is engaged. Works fine, no digging up the lawn

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Hey wargle-
This thread got a little sidetracked, sorry about that. Find out anything yet? I should also mention that mine is a 1979 gear drive 4WD, so your results may vary.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have a B7100 HST 4wd. Cutting grass the other day with the front axle engaged the front wheels suddenly locked up. I took it out of 4W backed up a few feet pulled forward a foot or so and the front wheels locked up again. I could see no visible problem with front drive shaft, etc. I can back the tractor up but when I try to drive forward both front wheels start to slide. Any ideas?
Most likely a broken ring/pinion gear in the front diff. If you lift the front wheels off the ground and try turning them by hand they will likely be counter rotating a very small amount before jamming. If you have a broken tooth on the ring gear it might spin backwards freely until it hits the broken tooth.

Dont try and drive it you can make things worse.