Fords are junk

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Get off the highway the other day in my 2012 f150 and smell brakes. Hoping it was the car in front of me it wasnt. Driver front wheel was smoking.
Figured it was a stuck caliper again so i changed it out. That wasnt the problem. Turns out the rubber brake line was restricted by rust jacking. What piss poor design. a little paint would have prevented a major brake problem.

The rubber line has metal brackets pressed onto it. rust grew between the brake line and bracket, the bracket won.

What a PIA. changed out the line all is good now.

brake line problem2.jpg

brake line problem.jpg
brake line problem.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Nice find! I’ve had lines swell up internally and cause similar problems.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Yeah good eye.. who'd a thought!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Fords are junk

I think they just love us technicians and want to keep us fat n happy 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Had the same thing happen years ago on my Dads old Chevy S-10 Blazer. People just beg for more and more salt on the road. Nothing like safety, we need salt and don't need no stinkin' brakes.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so.. did you change ALL the lines, or just the one that failed ?
BTW paint would only have delayed the rusting as salt ALWAYS wins.
Ideally replace with SS lines AND clamps, both must be SAME grade of SS though....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Get off the highway the other day in my 2012 f150 and smell brakes. Hoping it was the car in front of me it wasnt. Driver front wheel was smoking.
Figured it was a stuck caliper again so i changed it out. That wasnt the problem. Turns out the rubber brake line was restricted by rust jacking. What piss poor design. a little paint would have prevented a major brake problem.

The rubber line has metal brackets pressed onto it. rust grew between the brake line and bracket, the bracket won.

What a PIA. changed out the line all is good now.

View attachment 84143

View attachment 84142 View attachment 84142
The obvious solution.;)
Move to Florida.
No road salt!

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Nice find! I’ve had lines swell up internally and cause similar problems.
Actually i think this is probably the biggest contributor to the issue. Swelling happened inside and the outside got pinched. Important parts that have to do with stopping and safety should be engineered better i think though.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I'll keep an eye on this on my 2011 F150. I stopped driving it in the winter in October of 2019 and just changed the front brakes last week.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Actually i think this is probably the biggest contributor to the issue. Swelling happened inside and the outside got pinched. Important parts that have to do with stopping and safety should be engineered better i think though.
It’s a road salt issue…I’ve lived/worked in both areas, that does not happen down here (coastal areas see it somewhat, but not near as bad where they throw it on the roads)

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That truck is 10 years old, and most likely has more than 100,000 miles on it. If the salt did that to the bracket, how long do you think it will be before you start having the steel brake line failures. I would be thinking of installing all new lines and rubber hoses if I were you. The day that you make that one panic stop by stomping hard on the brakes, is the day that the line is going to blow out and your brakes are going to fail. I live in New England, and I had it happen to me once. I was able to avoid an accident, and I replace all the brake lines and hoses. To me, tires, steering components, and brakes are the 3 items that you can't afford to gamble with. A bad engine or transmission will leave you at the side of the road, but steering and stopping failures will leave you in a ditch, tree, or someplace worse.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
That truck is 10 years old, and most likely has more than 100,000 miles on it. If the salt did that to the bracket, how long do you think it will be before you start having the steel brake line failures. I would be thinking of installing all new lines and rubber hoses if I were you. The day that you make that one panic stop by stomping hard on the brakes, is the day that the line is going to blow out and your brakes are going to fail. I live in New England, and I had it happen to me once. I was able to avoid an accident, and I replace all the brake lines and hoses. To me, tires, steering components, and brakes are the 3 items that you can't afford to gamble with. A bad engine or transmission will leave you at the side of the road, but steering and stopping failures will leave you in a ditch, tree, or someplace worse.
its got 140k plus now. Its just my commuter/beater. I kind of hate it. i figure ill sell it in the winter if it lasts that long, will be a money pit before too long. BUT then ill need to replace it with some other 1/2 ton. and all makes have their issues.

Also because its an ecoboost its got the vacuum pump to assist the brakes on cold engine before it builds boost. well that hasnt worked since i got the truck i just have manual brakes at fast idle for the first few seconds of running, 10 year old truck..lol

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
its got 140k plus now. Its just my commuter/beater. I kind of hate it. i figure ill sell it in the winter if it lasts that long, will be a money pit before too long. BUT then ill need to replace it with some other 1/2 ton. and all makes have their issues.

Also because its an ecoboost its got the vacuum pump to assist the brakes on cold engine before it builds boost. well that hasnt worked since i got the truck i just have manual brakes at fast idle for the first few seconds of running, 10 year old truck..lol
there is a recall on the early ones with the electric vacuum pump

pm me the vin and I can tell you if it has it
(Or call a local dealer and give em the vin)

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Anything is junk, when it breaks down. And that's all of them.
We had a Chevrolet dump truck, and talk about rust on the underside. It was a beautiful truck, but it wasn't safe to drive, until all of the brake components and the ABS computer were replaced.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Florida,,, isnt that where old people go to die ? Kinda like the elephant s grave yard.
Correct!
Rapidly approaching 82, I am trying hard to stay out of the grave!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Fords are junk
This statement always brings to mind a situation with our dune group years back. :)
When our group decided to go bigger with our trucks, trailers, and dune vehicles, most of us went to toyhaulers pulled by Ford diesels. Two guys went with a Dodge, and one went the DuraMax route, saying loudly & often that "FORDS ARE JUNK".
In the first week he had it, the DuraMax locked up solid getting on the freeway, at about 50mph, not towing or carrying anything. Forensics showed a crankshaft oil passage blocked by machining debris. He got a new engine under warranty.
The DuraMax guy had a brother who bought a DuraMax about the same time, and his hobby was drag racing. He invited all of us out to the local track to watch the debut of his split bumper Camaro, a barely street legal drag car.
I got there early, as I like to spend a lot of time walking/talking in the pits. The rest of the guys never showed up.
Turns out, on the way out to the strip, pulling the carhauler trailer with Camaro, the DuraMax went BOOM! Forensics showed the crankshaft broken in half, which scattered the rest of the engine. He also got a new engine under warranty.
Granted, The DuraMax had been just introduced about that time, and all the products tend to have some teething problems, but we never let the DuraMax guys live it down. :)

One guy still has his Dodge, with about 150,00k miles.
One Ford guy still has his 6.0, unknown miles.
I still have my Ford 6.0, with 220,000k miles.
All the others have moved on.

ALL brands have their killer machines, and their lemons.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
This statement always brings to mind a situation with our dune group years back. :)
When our group decided to go bigger with our trucks, trailers, and dune vehicles, most of us went to toyhaulers pulled by Ford diesels. Two guys went with a Dodge, and one went the DuraMax route, saying loudly & often that "FORDS ARE JUNK".
In the first week he had it, the DuraMax locked up solid getting on the freeway, at about 50mph, not towing or carrying anything. Forensics showed a crankshaft oil passage blocked by machining debris. He got a new engine under warranty.
The DuraMax guy had a brother who bought a DuraMax about the same time, and his hobby was drag racing. He invited all of us out to the local track to watch the debut of his split bumper Camaro, a barely street legal drag car.
I got there early, as I like to spend a lot of time walking/talking in the pits. The rest of the guys never showed up.
Turns out, on the way out to the strip, pulling the carhauler trailer with Camaro, the DuraMax went BOOM! Forensics showed the crankshaft broken in half, which scattered the rest of the engine. He also got a new engine under warranty.
Granted, The DuraMax had been just introduced about that time, and all the products tend to have some teething problems, but we never let the DuraMax guys live it down. :)

Tundras are the best. lol
I was just ranting about another stupid problem with the F150 but the reality is the only vehicles that ive owned and able to hold up to actual work are Superduty Fords.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT

HOW have you kept a 6.0 power stroke on the road for 220k? You must be rich!😁

• Haha