Folding ROPS

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
I built a boat in the basement, sort of. I have a L2550 that won't go into my garage with 7' door. I let the air out of the rears and got it in, but I don't want to go through that every time. Does Kubota or someone else make a folding ROPS for the L2550? Dare I ask, has anyone turned theirs into a folding ROPS?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No, nobody will make a foldable ROPS for that tractor model.
And I wouldn't ever advise that anyone alter there ROPS!

You would be better off either altering the opening and door, or build another shed/garage to hold the tractor. ;)

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
OK, Thanks. My neighbor has a newer JD with a folding ROPS, I thought maybe I could pick one up.
On the opening, my garage has 10' ceilings, they blocked down from the header to put that 7 foot door in (I'm not the original owner/builder). Why, why, why, I'll take the blocking out and try to find a matching panel for the door, and re-trim. It should have had an 8' door to begin with, why, why, why....
Thx

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I built a boat in the basement, sort of. I have a L2550 that won't go into my garage with 7' door. I let the air out of the rears and got it in, but I don't want to go through that every time. Does Kubota or someone else make a folding ROPS for the L2550? Dare I ask, has anyone turned theirs into a folding ROPS?

you know that "question" of folding ROPS .......you know damn well that MANY of tractor owners want to keep their machines inside - rather than allow it to get all messed up in the weather. AND I know the engineers have "studied" the situation....thus the folding ROPS!!! what a F#%$#@ concept ;).......

On my BX - I DO have a folding ROPS - but am too lazy to fold it down everytime to go in the shed~!! I know :p - (well i did the first 20 times) AND NO I aint gonna ride it around with it folded !! SO I dug the gravel/dirt floor out a smidge so I dont have to drop the rops! And am going to "build" another shed that will have a NICE LEVEL floor (jeez what a concept around here - L E V E L !) anyway ......

I know that most of the engineering is so that IF it were to roll over, the ROPS is designed not to crush the operator - and keep the tractor at 90 degrees on the ground or in a bad spill allow the operator to be under the canopy , why cant they cannot make it under the standard 7'-0" garage opening? But then again - that is why it is foldable I guess! :D:D

If had your tractor - I would allow the warranty to run out and then modify it if you have a trusted welder around.....AND I know I will catch hell for saying that:rolleyes: .... I good welder could make it foldable just like others Kubota makes and just as safe, for little $$$ ...... of course ONE must wear one's seatbelt to be safe on a ROPS installed tractor!!!!;)

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Rockon,

Looks like you have the option of digging lower, raising the door, or perhaps putting in a higher door on the other side of your building!

You have great advice on not altering that ROP.

Burt

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I removed mine on my BX for the winter, because it don't fit through the door up? Folded back I believe it doesn't do much but get in the way. I would much prefer to have it on and up always if it fit through the door. It is only like an inch to tall I cant believe the manufactures couldn't of made it fit most garages in the up position. Up always would be safer than allot of people not using them , Its hard to believe that additional inch makes a huge safety difference.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Take all input with a grain of salt. You will hear many tales of potential for future lawsuits, etc. In the end it is your decision to make.

I personally see no reason not to shorten the ROPS a small amount if done by a competent fabricator.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Take all input with a grain of salt. You will hear many tales of potential for future lawsuits, etc. In the end it is your decision to make.

I personally see no reason not to shorten the ROPS a small amount if done by a competent fabricator.
The height is necessary to keep them from rolling. Lets not assume an engineer designs something just for shits and grins.

Tractors are heavy (DUH:eek::D) and a body in motion tends to stay in motion thus a tall ROP is needed. When she tips to one side the ROP acts like an outrigger pontoon on a Hawaiian Islands Sea Canoe and keeps that 1/4 flop from becoming a 1/2 or full roll.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yeah the engineers pretty much have it figured out, now I'm afraid my BX2660 is going to tip over anytime.

BX2670 ROPS 70.4 inches
BX2670 ROPS 87.2 inches

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
complicated solutions; but might work

Overly complicated:
What- Build a sled or Dollie with wheels, axle stands and jack Jack for easy quick removal of rear wheels .Shop air gun nearby. Frame of sled designed to lean rear tire out of way just enough to lower tractor for door clearance after rear wheels pulled. How- Drive tractor part way into garage/shed as you drive wheels up onto Sled. (or slide Dollie into place) Use the Rokon to pull the sled and tractor into Garage :D Might can hand roll it?
6ae47572b465b22ddb223ae73ad9eaba.jpg

Complicated:
Sliding 5 side box: Box is size needed to cover tractor portion that does not fit in shed/garage and complements home exterior. Let wifey decorate it? You pull/push the box in place as you enter/exit the shed/garage via a preset length tow bar and a preset stop point.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Go to a place similer to this http://www.hewsco.com/services.asp . They are qualified to tell you what can and can not be done and make any changes that meet OSHA and Kubota regulations/warranty. If they say it can't be done and meet OSHA and Kubota regulations/warranty, you can still do it at your own risk.

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
OK, Thanks. My neighbor has a newer JD with a folding ROPS, I thought maybe I could pick one up.
On the opening, my garage has 10' ceilings, they blocked down from the header to put that 7 foot door in (I'm not the original owner/builder). Why, why, why, I'll take the blocking out and try to find a matching panel for the door, and re-trim. It should have had an 8' door to begin with, why, why, why....
Thx
It sounds as if someone did not think through the usage for a larger garage/barn. A 7' door is quite common on garages from a few years ago. I started doing construction in the 90's and at that time it was quite expensive to upgrade to the 8'. After having some experience with 4 wheel drive vehicles not wanting to fit into a 7' high door, I started going the 8' minimum as well. Had a friend join a fire department years ago. Spent all day mounting his $300 light bar. Quite proud. Then he backed it into his garage with a 7' door and ... you guessed it, no more light bar. You should be able to remove the cripple studs or blocking above the beam but do be sure you carefully replace the trimmer studs on each side with full length trimmers. Don't be tempted to just add some spacers on top of the existing trimmers. If you have the door make and model you should be able to buy an add on panel.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Dont remember where i saw it , but someone built a hinging part above garage door for driving in taller stuff. Problem i see is getting the door up high enough.the cables only permit door travel to a certain point.

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
Thx to all for your input. Right now the immediate solution is airing down the tires to almost flat then backing in. Airing up when taking it out. I'm weighing my options still. I sure can appreciate the responses regarding the ROPS only needing to be like 2 "shorter to fit standard 7'doors. Although I would like to meet the original owner some day in a dark alley to question his choosing the 7' door when the header was built so an 8' would go in there. Ahhhhh. I keep you all posted on my decision. I have a 2500 dodge Cummins that barely fits so raising the door would be nice.

crippler

Equipment
KUBOTA Bx23s, KUBOTA B6200, KUBOTA B7400, KUBOTA B7800, Mitsubishi D1500 II
May 25, 2014
Carthage NY
I think this is an awesome idea. I think I might try it myself, if I can find a similar size hoop that hinged. Like one that came off of a john deer or something of that sort and cut them both down by the finder and put a flange on each. It would even be handy for adding a cab. Post some pics if you get it done !

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Thx
If you have any carpentry skills and they blocked down 1 foot, this is the easiest and CHEAPEST solution by far. No ROPS or other tractor mods needed, permanent fix. Easy day project.