Fish Lifes B6100 Restoration

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Those who have painted with the Kubota paints, how long did it take to cure?
I painted a few pieces 10 days ago and I can still press a finger nail into it.
Im in Florida its been 65-68. My shop has heat so I turned it up to 75. I primed waited 30 min. Light top coat and waited 30 min, second light top coat waited 30 min, then the final top coat.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Those who have painted with the Kubota paints, how long did it take to cure?
I painted a few pieces 10 days ago and I can still press a finger nail into it.
Im in Florida its been 65-68. My shop has heat so I turned it up to 75. I primed waited 30 min. Light top coat and waited 30 min, second light top coat waited 30 min, then the final top coat.
Is this mixed and sprayed or rattle can?
If it's mixed, did you add the hardneer?
What primer did you use?

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Yes. I have the [WSM] that Torch linked and another one by I&T
Good to hear :D I had a look at the one from Torch's link - it has surprisingly good images. I reckon the more manuals, the better (usually) :)

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
What primer did you use?
Also meant to mention. Some of the parts were not sandblasted. They where lightly sanded then painted. That paint is still soft also. The directions on the can says it will dry in 30 min and wait 24hrs to buff. Im not buffing any of the blue parts but 10 days later there is no way I could if I wanted to. Painting is one thing that I always seem to have trouble with. I follow the labels to a T and I seem to always have problems with the paint drying/curing. Thats why I got in to powder coating. I never have problems with it. If I could put the tractor in the oven I would powder it. I originally was going to powder the parts that could be baked and paint the the main portion but I knew I would never get the powder to match what was painted.

Im probably going to strip the paint and start over. This time I may go to the local Sherwin Williams or PPG automotive and just get the paint color matched. The Kubota dealer is an hour from me and they would have to order more blue. Also not going to rattle can it this time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Being in FL I bet your humidity is high, that might affect drying time, but 10 days is way too long.

I'm thinking either the paint in the cans was bad, Happens but rare, or more likely the primer did not like the top coat.
I've had this happen on a couple projects, not pretty or easy to clean up! :mad:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Being in FL I bet your humidity is high, that might affect drying time, but 10 days is way too long.

I'm thinking either the paint in the cans was bad, Happens but rare, or more likely the primer did not like the top coat.
I've had this happen on a couple projects, not pretty or easy to clean up! :mad:
Thanks for the help. I have seen in other post that you have done your fair share of painting. I wanting to stay with a higher grade paint and something that after painting I could be reassembling parts in 2-3 days. Would the gallon Kubota paint mixed achieve that or do you have any recommendations on which route to go?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the help. I have seen in other post that you have done your fair share of painting. I wanting to stay with a higher grade paint and something that after painting I could be reassembling parts in 2-3 days. Would the gallon Kubota paint mixed achieve that or do you have any recommendations on which route to go?
I use a lot of different paints, Van sickle is really good paint, but they don't have Kubota #1 and Kubota Blue as stock colors.

Kubota's paints are also very good just use a high quality thinner and hardener with it.
Make sure you give the primer a good cure time too.
There are some other high quality paints, but it's all based on your area.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
I use a lot of different paints, Van sickle is really good paint, but they don't have Kubota #1 and Kubota Blue as stock colors.

Kubota's paints are also very good just use a high quality thinner and hardener with it.
Thanks. Are there any mixing instructions on the can for the thinner or hardener? Do you use primer on the everything, even the engine? I probably will just stick to the Kubota paint so I dont have you worry about color matching and if I need to touch up it nice I can get a rattle can for it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks. Are there any mixing instructions on the can for the thinner or hardener? Do you use primer on the everything, even the engine? I probably will just stick to the Kubota paint so I dont have you worry about color matching and if I need to touch up it nice I can get a rattle can for it.
There should be instruction on ratio mix with both of them.

I don't use primer on engines, just high heat paint. ;)

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl

I found the instructions on the Kubota site for applying there paint. It states

“Use Xylene as a fast reducer in normal and cool conditions and D-100 as a reducer in warmer conditions to prevent dusting. For air spray, reduce 20% to 30% by volume and for airless or air-assisted airless, reduce up to 15%.

It doesnt say anything about adding a harder. Are you just adding it anyway to just help the curing along?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I found the instructions on the Kubota site for applying there paint. It states

“Use Xylene as a fast reducer in normal and cool conditions and D-100 as a reducer in warmer conditions to prevent dusting. For air spray, reduce 20% to 30% by volume and for airless or air-assisted airless, reduce up to 15%.

It doesnt say anything about adding a harder. Are you just adding it anyway to just help the curing along?
I like the hardener add to toughen up the paint quicker and over the long haul. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The hardener will help the paint cure faster, and makes it harder as North Idaho Wolfman mentioned.

The paint is also much more durable, and the sun fade less prevalent.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Couple things to keep in mind with a hardener is...

1. It causes the finish to become more glossy (not a bad thing)
2. It will cause any left over (mixed with hardener) paint to get 'rubbery' so you need to only mix what you plan on using and don't leave it in your spray gun, even overnight or you'll have a mess on your hands.

I use Magic brand hardener for alkyd enamel myself.

If you really want to get fancy with paint, get some catalyized polyurethane. That stuff is super tough. Problem is, it contains Isocyinates and is wicked to breathe the vapors (as is all paint in general). be sure to wear a mask when spraying. Your lungs will appreciate it.

Far as ROPS grey or Kubota purple, Sherwin Williams will custom mix the color for you if you provide a color swatch.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
I went by the local PPG automotive paint store to talk to them about what I'm doing and to hear what they recommend and price there paint. They did not have any paint codes and would have to try and color match both the orange and the blue. This is what the quoted me.

This is for there PPG Shop-line products.
Paint $160-$220 a gallon (depends on amount of pigment to make the color).
Reducer $39 a gallon
Hardener $40 a pint
Sealer primer $25 a quart

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Send Van sickle a message and see what they say.
It should be a heck of a lot cheaper than that!
Your getting automotive paint prices, this is a tractor and doesn't need showroom quality paint.

https://www.vansicklepaint.com/

You can also get rustoleum for much cheaper!

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Send Van sickle a message and see what they say.
It should be a heck of a lot cheaper than that!
Your getting automotive paint prices, this is a tractor and doesn't need showroom quality paint.

https://www.vansicklepaint.com/
I thought since the PPG is local and they stock everything it may be easier to address an issue if one to arise. I knew the paint was going to be higher but I didnt expect it to be that high. I will reach out to V.S. and see what they have.