First Tractor Advice: B2601 or B2650

Creek Side

Apr 2, 2017
Upstate, NY USA
I know this has been discussed before, but current recommendations tailored to my needs would be very much appreciated - I am about to buy my first tractor and look forward to your thoughts.

My home is on 7 acres, 1.5 is mowed with a zero turn mower, the rest is mostly wooded with a small meadow, hill and adjacent creek, too. I plan to get the tractor to clear fallen trees, spread mulch, clear some brush to create a path and move a few large rocks around (nothing larger than 2 by 2 feet). At some point, I may push snow down a 350 foot paved driveway. There are a few tight spots for maneuvering and a approximately 20 degree hill to descend to reach part of the property.

My number one priority is safety - I don't want to hurt myself by tipping the tractor. This will be my first tractor. If it matters, I am pretty handy with my zero turn mower. I plan to get R4 (industrial) tires and load the rears with Rimguard, a 60" FEL and pallet forks. I don't plan to do very heavy work or log hundreds of hours. The price difference between the 2 models is minimal. The B2601 is attractive given is slightly smaller size and perhaps better maneuverability, but I don't want to get a "less safe" tractor.

Thoughts on the 2 models given my needs and desire to get the safer option (if that is relevant) would be appreciated. Thank you all very much.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You might want to look at a BX, lower center of gravity. ;)

The only way your going to work a 20 Degree hill is possibly straight up and straight down the hill, any variance will very likely tip on you. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hmm upstate NY? Any thought of a snowblower? Do you have lots of room to push snow off the drive? If front snowblower, a cab would be nice. A B2650 would be perfect under those conditions.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
If you need to clear a long driveway, I would recommend the 2650. It has plenty of power to clear deep, heavy snow. It also beats the 2601 for loader work.

Creek Side

Apr 2, 2017
Upstate, NY USA
Do folks think the B2650 which is several inches longer, wider and taller as well as a couple of hundred pounds heavier with greater lifting ability at the FEL is safer/more stable or less so? (Personal experience of incidents is welcome!)

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
When I was looking for a new tractor a couple years ago, I was looking at the same 2 tractors. I ended up going with the B2650 due to as you said minimal price difference, longer and wider wheel stance for a better ride, and more power for the front loader and 3pt, I do all of my mowing and plowing with my tractor and it has been a workhorse and very easy to maneuver. I cannot say for sure if it is more stable than the B2601, but makes sense with its features it would be. Maybe some one else has run them both. I have been really happy with my B2650. Good luck.

XSFMED18D

Equipment
Looking
Aug 17, 2016
Indy
I was going to post a new thread but your property is so similiar to mine that it would be like writing the same thing. I have 5 acres that is separated by a creek. First half of acreage by house is somewhat wet with a meadow that collects rainwater in spring. The back half is full of dead ash trees that need to be logged out.

I am not going to be mowing with the tractor so dont need a MMM but felt like the 2650 was nicer and sized better for my property than an L2501. I just need a tractor to move firewood, drag logs and pick stuff up.

Can a 2650 drag trees? I figured if I need to move something heavier than the FEL can lift then I would put it on the 3pt.

BTW, the 2650 was more expensive than a L2501 this past summer. The incentives are not as strong for the L series so the 2650 is cheaper. I kept looking at the price tags but that was probably the wrong way to evaluate my choices.

I am probably going to buy a 2650 this week but my only worry is that I am going to have to really ballast the rear to lift anything heavy.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I was going to post a new thread but your property is so similiar to mine that it would be like writing the same thing. I have 5 acres that is separated by a creek. First half of acreage by house is somewhat wet with a meadow that collects rainwater in spring. The back half is full of dead ash trees that need to be logged out.

I am not going to be mowing with the tractor so dont need a MMM but felt like the 2650 was nicer and sized better for my property than an L2501. I just need a tractor to move firewood, drag logs and pick stuff up.

Can a 2650 drag trees? I figured if I need to move something heavier than the FEL can lift then I would put it on the 3pt.

BTW, the 2650 was more expensive than a L2501 this past summer. The incentives are not as strong for the L series so the 2650 is cheaper. I kept looking at the price tags but that was probably the wrong way to evaluate my choices.

I am probably going to buy a 2650 this week but my only worry is that I am going to have to really ballast the rear to lift anything heavy.

Just make yourself up a ballast box in the 650lb range, and my rear tires are not loaded, and you will be good to do whatever you need with the B2650.

View attachment 28561

Last edited:

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine

If I were to perform any logging operations with my Kubota compact tractor I would invest in a 3 point logging winch.
The winch would allow you to winch logs out of areas you may not want to put your tractor.

Here is video about 3 point logging winches.
There are other 3 point winch manufactures other than the Wallenstein winches.
I just thought this video provided good example how the 3 point logging winch can be used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbSGIjZ1Jn0

Last edited:

XSFMED18D

Equipment
Looking
Aug 17, 2016
Indy
Thanks!

Creekside- didnt mean to hijack your post. Hopefully there is some info you'll find valuable.

Would Creekside and I both benefit from looking at an L2501? He and both dont need to mow with MMM but it just seems too big for 5 and 7 acres?

FINN

Equipment
B2601 RTV900
Feb 24, 2017
MT RAINIER
Do folks think the B2650 which is several inches longer, wider and taller as well as a couple of hundred pounds heavier with greater lifting ability at the FEL is safer/more stable or less so? (Personal experience of incidents is welcome!)
Before I bought my B2601 with R4s I was in the same boat as you. Most of my property is on the side of a hill (10 acres) so wanted the tractor weight to be as low to the ground as possible with enough ground clearance to get around in the woods and to mow my up to 20 degree trails, however trail crossings at 15 degrees scared the hell out of me so I added 2 1/2" spacers and went with more rear ballast. Now I probably feel more confident than I should be. I am able to grapple 22 inch x 12 FT Hemlock around but no doubt the B2650 would do better there.

FINN

Equipment
B2601 RTV900
Feb 24, 2017
MT RAINIER
Finn: If you had the chance to do it over, would you have gotten the B2650 knowing what you know now or are you happy with the B2601?
The B2601 has worked out great for what I do with it. Adding rear wheel spacers was a must working on steep hills though.
I thought about buying the B2650, but the higher center gravity weight worried me.
If I had to do it all over again I would still stick with the B2601 but if you think you can get by with the B2650 go for it.
Also forgot to mention that the dealer installed Rim Guard.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
I just sold my 31 year old L2250 gear Tractor. Want a new hydro unit. The L series no longer has MMM pto so the 2 Bs are what I'm comparing. Uneven terrain, one hellacious hill and lots of trees is what I have to deal with. I also
have a 30 year old B8200 hst that still does the job but I would not put a lot of
capital into it if it failed. So I need an in between unit that can mow my busy lawn but had loader capacity close to the smaller Ls. Going back to drive both
this week.

DWLG1958

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534, L2244 4n1, BH77&thumb, Brushgrapple, Box, Pallet Forks, more.
Jul 22, 2015
Sonoma Wine Country, California
B2650 Backhoe BH77 has a 180 degree swing arc, B2601 Backhoe only 140 degree swing arc. That is huge inefficiency w/ 2601. (B2601 Loser for me !)

I side hill with no problem SLOW and on Dry Firm ground w/ B2650. But it could go bad very quickly in wet soft soil conditions, or hitting a bump or dip at any condition with speed. Know the limits

I think you'd be very satisfied with B2650, plus it's got nicer operator platform with better seat and adjustability for different size operators.

that's my 2 cents worth.

DWLG1958

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534, L2244 4n1, BH77&thumb, Brushgrapple, Box, Pallet Forks, more.
Jul 22, 2015
Sonoma Wine Country, California
It'll pull a pretty good grade up and down hill's also.
Highly recommend the Wheel Spacer Kit option, and Ballast the tires for sure.
I attached a Chart PDF of Various Data for the tractors that I was comparing when shopping around. If I need anything bigger I'll rent it at that time.
The Main Issue I was looking for was Compact and Packed a Punch.
Turning radius is the same for B2601 vs B2650 at 6.9.
The cubic inch displacement is 8.5 more for B2650, and so turns 300 RPM Less (2,800 vs 2,500) for the same rated HP.
265 #'s lift advantage for B2650 on PTO at 24" behind. Note that B2650 has Greater lift than both L2501 and L3301, clearly advantage 2650.
Nearly two inches more ground clearance for B2650 and 5 inches wider.
Loaders LA434 (948 #'s) vs LA534 (1146 #'s) at pivot pin, 200 # advantage for 2650.
Back Hoes, BH70 vs BH77, clearly with the Limited Swing arc (140 vs 180) the B2601 just fell out of the running for me.
I also recommend the various three point hitch "options" w/ B2650 for ease of hook up implements. Sorry to run on ......

I looked at the Green ones, but they just do not compare favorably for tractors in this size / range. Check out lift weak lift capacities. Also, my Brother in Law has a JD2032R that he say is a ONE speed tranny, since the high gear is basically for "roading" so really only has one working range/speed, low.

Cheers and have a good weekend.

Good luck and enjoy what ever you get.

Attachments