First Time Mowing

B2R

Dec 14, 2017
Ok
Looks great. How do you like the mower? I have consider getting one but not sure if it’s worth the extra over a bush hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Looks great. How do you like the mower? I have consider getting one but not sure if it’s worth the extra over a bush hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like it quite a bit. I had it set to mow very close to the ground as I wanted to cut off a bunch of apple suckers I had sprayed. Because of that i hit more rocks than would be normal and trashed a bunch of d-rings and blades. Other than than it was a great operation. The best part of a flail is it chopped up a bunch of sticks that were laying around the property with no sign of their previous existence. Where the grass was heavy it spread the clippings evenly so no unsightly rows of dead stuff.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
How fast can you go while cutting?

Always wondered if you had to run slower or not.
I can't answer that yet. This property had been mowed in previous years with a rotary mower that wouldn't cut low to the ground and had left over apple tree suckers from the previous orchards. (They do a great job popping tires) This spring I started spraying the apple suckers so they would be good and dead before I mowed with the flail. I set the flail very low to the ground and went very slow to make sure I cut off all those pesky little trees which means I also hit every mole hill, rock, and bit of uneven ground so it was slow going. Next time I mow I will raise the blades up to around 2-1/2 to 3 inches so I am guessing I will be able to cruise right along but that is yet to be determined.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
How fast can you go while cutting?

Always wondered if you had to run slower or not.
I don't have a brush hog to compare, but I think it is one of those "all depends things" I go pretty fast in my back pasture, grass/weeds are pretty thin. Any faster and I'd be bouncing around too much. I have to mow pretty high because of the way my quick hitch is set up, and have the brush blades. I am usually surprised at how neat and tidy it looks the next day.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a 7' flail and I use it to mow in fields I use to use an 8' rotary brush mower. I mow the same speed with the flail as I would with the rotary. The flail just does a way better job.

Actually, I have a 5', 6' and a 7'. I'm addicted to equipment and implements like some women are to shoes and purses!!:D

I've been attending the meetings, but they don't seem to help.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a 7' flail and I use it to mow in fields I use to use an 8' rotary brush mower. I mow the same speed with the flail as I would with the rotary. The flail just does a way better job.

Actually, I have a 5', 6' and a 7'. I'm addicted to equipment and implements like some women are to shoes and purses!!:D

I've been attending the meetings, but they don't seem to help.
I have been curious about the speed. I have to run slow with my boom mower but it's hyd driven.

I understand about the meetings. Every time I go to one I only hear about something else I think I need.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
When you engage the PTO does it seem harsh/violent/sudden? My brush hog really bangs when I engage and I do it at the lowest rpm. After it engages and I pick up the rpms it smooths out and is normal, just the start up seems rough.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
When you engage the PTO does it seem harsh/violent/sudden? My brush hog really bangs when I engage and I do it at the lowest rpm. After it engages and I pick up the rpms it smooths out and is normal, just the start up seems rough.
That is what Rears recommends. Low rpm to engage then speed it up.