Finally

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well this SOB put up a fight but we finally won the battle. This stump has been haunting me for years now, never really thought I'd get it without a backhoe but I guess being stubborn is not such a bad thing some times. Wife looked out the window, said I looked like a dog burying a bone at times trying to cut a few of the roots. Words can't explain how happy I am to have it gone.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welll YEAH for you,,, yup being stubborn sometimes is a good thing,,, now go have a cup of coffee and survey your kingdom knowing someways life is good! :)

Reactions: 2 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Persistence pays off more times than not. We all have challenges that we face each day some big some small, you won the battle here.

Have a few that annoy me as well that I will tackle once the barn rebuild after the fire is done.

Have a great day bb

Jay

Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Persistence pays off more times than not. We all have challenges that we face each day some big some small, you won the battle here.

Have a few that annoy me as well that I will tackle once the barn rebuild after the fire is done.

Have a great day bb

Jay
Thanks Jay and good luck with the rebuild. Oh yea, we're gonna need pictures when it's done.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
lol that must have felt good, that picture is awesome! a trophy stump for sure.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Bearbait, Good job! I've done some things with my tractor that I've been surprised that I was able to do. Like Skeets says, being stubborn can really pay off sometimes. I've been moving boulders so big I couldn't lift, but I pushed and pulled and got them to where I wanted them.

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Awesome!

Not to take away from the OP, but here is a stump we pulled at one of our parks. Dug on it for 2 days with a Kubota KX71-3. The guys were VERY happy to be done!
Bryant stump.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Bearbait,
Great job! Bearbait 1, Stump 0. Being stubborn ain't such a bad thing!
Regards

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Worst of it is the wife says, there I told you you don't need a backhoe. Some times a fella just never learns.:oops:

• Haha

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Now you have a crater to fill in. I just call the local tree guy and have him grind them below grade. No hole or stump to deal with. Softwood stumps rot pretty fast, hardwood ones, not so fast.

Sorry about the backhoe. If I were you, I'd save up my pin money and get a used mini-excavator. Much more useful than any add on backhoe. Easier on the tractor too and with a mini, you can always sell it for what you paid for it, most likely.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Nice job.

What's more impressive is how is that staying in the bucket?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Now you have a crater to fill in. I just call the local tree guy and have him grind them below grade. No hole or stump to deal with. Softwood stumps rot pretty fast, hardwood ones, not so fast.

Sorry about the backhoe. If I were you, I'd save up my pin money and get a used mini-excavator. Much more useful than any add on backhoe. Easier on the tractor too and with a mini, you can always sell it for what you paid for it, most likely.
I was already in the process of moving some dirt anyway flip so no crater and all I have to do is let the ground dry a bit more before I level it.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Nice job.

What's more impressive is how is that staying in the bucket?
You know I was thinking the same thing when I picked it up and it stayed, even had to get out and look. I have to give my piranha tooth bar all the credit, one of the best investments ever made.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent job! (y)(y)
I've dealt with quite a few of them here, they can be a real pain!
Grinding them down only works in some situations, most of the time if it needs to be dealt with, it needs to be removed as something is probably going in its place! ;)

I pulled out a bunch of them years ago to make way for an easement, most were the size of a VW bug and were no fun to deal with!
Hum that reminds me I still have a pile of them in the back 40 that needs to be burned!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Excellent job! (y)(y)
I've dealt with quite a few of them here, they can be a real pain!
Grinding them down only works in some situations, most of the time if it needs to be dealt with, it needs to be removed as something is probably going in its place! ;)

I pulled out a bunch of them years ago to make way for an easement, most were the size of a VW bug and were no fun to deal with!
Hum that reminds me I still have a pile of them in the back 40 that needs to be burned!
I've ground quite a few. But had a couple uprooted trees from a tornado that needed to be dealt with. Especially the large holes that were left over in the wake. Those were dug out and then burned.

I've found that after a few years, the stump that was ground down, either needs to be ground a second time. Or as they rot out under ground your left with low spot that needs to be filled.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've ground quite a few. But had a couple uprooted trees from a tornado that needed to be dealt with. Especially the large holes that were left over in the wake. Those were dug out and then burned.

I've found that after a few years, the stump that was ground down, either needs to be ground a second time. Or as they rot out under ground your left with low spot that needs to be filled.
First of thanks Wolf. Yes DT you're right. When we had the land here bull dozed we were left with 3 or 4 piles of stumps and logs mixed with dirt, nasty. Anyway they also had the excavator here and they went down as far as they could trying to find water but no luck. They tried in 3 different spots but dry as a popcorn fart. While they had the holes open I asked them about burying the piles of stumps and they did but warned me of the consequences and they were right also. For 8 or 9 years I had to keep adding more soil but all good now.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
First of thanks Wolf. Yes DT you're right. When we had the land here bull dozed we were left with 3 or 4 piles of stumps and logs mixed with dirt, nasty. Anyway they also had the excavator here and they went down as far as they could trying to find water but no luck. They tried in 3 different spots but dry as a popcorn fart. While they had the holes open I asked them about burying the piles of stumps and they did but warned me of the consequences and they were right also. For 8 or 9 years I had to keep adding more soil but all good now.
I had a 42" diameter oak taken down next to our garage. The roots were busting the apron for the garage and I wanted it out before it busted the slab for the house.

I ground that stump and a couple others that were nearby in the yard. I've been filling the spots back in for about 7 years now.

Down next to the ditch on the property line ive been fighting with a hole there since we moved in. Hole is about 8" in diameter and 1' deep. Bout what you would see if you dug up a large bundle of daffodils and a little larger then a bunny burrow.

I fill it in and 6 months later it's back to the same depth it was. Been like that for years. I gave up on it a couple years back and just mow around it.

That one has been a head scratcher. 🤔🤔🤔

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Ground stump holes never quit sinking. What's left gradually rots and more dirt is needed. I have ground off stumpholes that are 30+ years old that are still sinking. :( That plus the surface roots also gradually rot creating sorta trenches that need filling.

Reactions: 1 users