Feral Hogs

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What's being done to control these critters. The folks who relocate them for profit should be put in with them when caught. If 70% of the population isn't eliminated each year the population never is reduced.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
What's being done to control these critters. The folks who relocate them for profit should be put in with them when caught. If 70% of the population isn't eliminated each year the population never is reduced.

They are a scourge and here to stay unfortunately.

I've been battling them for about 30 yrs. now on my property. I trap them, shoot them, snare them, run them with dogs on occasion. But they just keep making more.

Have kind of an ongoing thread about that here:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Would there be a market to process these pigs into sausage, hot dogs, etc.? My understanding that most wild boar meat isn't the most tasty and can have a higher rate of parasites than farm grown. Yet I was wondering if processing the meat would help with those issues and in the current market with livestock being reduced due to drought, if this would be a feasible market to add a small amount of food into the supply chain and reduce an issue?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Some people eat them. Other than during hunting season, wild game isn't usually processed at commercial butchers.

At this point, they are spreading because they reproduce fairly quickly. Funny enough, there is a secondary market for people who "hunt" them ... well "shoot" them in fenced areas. Not my cup of tea.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Some people eat them. Other than during hunting season, wild game isn't usually processed at commercial butchers.

At this point, they are spreading because they reproduce fairly quickly. Funny enough, there is a secondary market for people who "hunt" them ... well "shoot" them in fenced areas. Not my cup of tea.
In Texas....Feral Hogs can not be processed at the same time commercial butchers are processing domestic livestock. This is true even for Deer. Pretty much ALL feral hogs are sold to State Approved 'holding stations' and are sold to Asian Markets.

With respect to shooting hogs behind fenced areas....that applies only to Hunting Preserves (in Texas). And that is a product of TAHC rules concerning the transportation of Feral Hogs. Female hogs can not be transported or relocated at ALL except to be taken to a State Approved holding facility to be sold later (butchered).

Male/Boar hogs can be sold to hunting preserves, but must be individually marked/identified and MUST be contained behind swine-proof fencing.

On other private property (in Texas) you can find all the Feral Hog hunting you want. No license is required (on private property with landowner consent) and that applies to residents or non-residents.

They *hogs' may hunted by any legal means, day or night, no bag limits.

So....if your 'cup of tea' is not hunting behind a fenced area (which could be up to 10 sq. miles anyway) then just don't go there. There are plenty of low fenced/no fenced ranches to hunt them.

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Would there be a market to process these pigs into sausage, hot dogs, etc.? My understanding that most wild boar meat isn't the most tasty and can have a higher rate of parasites than farm grown. Yet I was wondering if processing the meat would help with those issues and in the current market with livestock being reduced due to drought, if this would be a feasible market to add a small amount of food into the supply chain and reduce an issue?
Not allowed under TAHC rules (of which there are many) without extraordinary measures (being held a certain number of days, inspected several times, etc, etc). The commercial processing of Feral Hogs in the U.S. just simply isn't worth it. Nearly all are sold to Asian Markets.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I like that drop net idea. But relocating them should be a crime.

Once they are in the net, let the shooting begin. No, it's not hunting. It's eradication.

There's a very cool video on YouTube of a guy setting up a Tannerite bomb, baiting around it, and then waiting for the hogs to gather 'round. He got 5 out of 9, IIRC, which is not too bad compared to shooting.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I like that drop net idea. But relocating them should be a crime.

Once they are in the net, let the shooting begin. No, it's not hunting. It's eradication.

There's a very cool video on YouTube of a guy setting up a Tannerite bomb, baiting around it, and then waiting for the hogs to gather 'round. He got 5 out of 9, IIRC, which is not too bad compared to shooting.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Several years ago some russian bores got out of hunting place,, and this is the first good thing I have seen the PaGC do in a long time,, they issued a KOS, order on all hogs, I dont think any of them made it through deer season

Reactions: 1 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Several years ago some russian bores got out of hunting place,, and this is the first good thing I have seen the PaGC do in a long time,, they issued a KOS, order on all hogs, I dont think any of them made it through deer season
Thanks for the feel good story, of for once the Govt. did something right!

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Mark BX25D wrote:

"Once they are in the net, let the shooting begin. No, it's not hunting. It's eradication."

Yes, NOT hunting at all and of course no claims made as such as you well understand. It is 'slaughter' pure and simple and no Land Owner that I know will make any apologies for it.

I would not use the word 'eradication' in the same sentence as Feral Hogs....as it is wishful thinking at best, but an effort to reduce their numbers is always practiced.

We use pen traps...then dispatch everything caught. Its a never ending battle where I live. Repairing property and keeping the hogs at bay. Futile.

Catch_5_18_09b.jpg

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Mark BX25D wrote:

"Once they are in the net, let the shooting begin. No, it's not hunting. It's eradication."

Yes, NOT hunting at all and of course no claims made as such as you well understand. It is 'slaughter' pure and simple and no Land Owner that I know will make any apologies for it.

I would not use the word 'eradication' in the same sentence as Feral Hogs....as it is wishful thinking at best, but an effort to reduce their numbers is always practiced.

We use pen traps...then dispatch everything caught. Its a never ending battle where I live. Repairing property and keeping the hogs at bay. Futile.

View attachment 85115
I have no issue with getting rid of them, but what do you'll do with them ?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have no issue with getting rid of them, but what do you'll do with them ?
Vast majority get 'recycled' natures way. Coyotes and Buzzards clean them up within 48 hrs. Nothing but a few bones and hide left.

Occasionally, someone will want one to butcher....and I am happy to let them have as many as they like.

But few (if any) folks in my county don't already have a freezer full (if they want the meat resource).

On average....I will dispatch between 75 and 100 Feral Hogs per year on just my property....with just me doing the hunting, trapping, snaring. That's how bad the problem is.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A few years back there were reports of feral hogs near here. The state had a concerted effort to eliminate them. There was an idea someone had transported them up from the south and wanted to generate an income for hunting them. State game official told me they were checking DNA to determine their origin.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
local guy traps them then slaughters them on his place. Gives the meats to the local men's ministry drug rehab place, who then smoke em, then sell different parts to the public. He traps/gives about 300 hogs a year. That's all they can take. I often run out there and buy those awesome smoked pork butts. It might be worth looking into if you have that many and don't know what to do with em.

BTW the sows are much better meat than them old boars.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Got an invite from a rancher in Texas to come and hunt hogs. He said he would even supply the ammo and beer. What calibers are you using to hunt these?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
local guy traps them then slaughters them on his place. Gives the meats to the local men's ministry drug rehab place, who then smoke em, then sell different parts to the public. He traps/gives about 300 hogs a year. That's all they can take. I often run out there and buy those awesome smoked pork butts. It might be worth looking into if you have that many and don't know what to do with em.
In my State (Texas) this would not be legal (sale of Feral Pig Meat) without the animal having first been quarantined, inspected at least twice and approved. TAHC forbids it and the USDA will not allow wild hog meat to be donated to food banks.

An individual can give the meat resource to another private citizen and they can do as they wish with it (within the confines of the law) but selling it (un-inspected) is not lawful.