FEL Float Function....

gottaride68

Equipment
BW 25D, w/FEL, MMM, BH, and her name is CLementine
Aug 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Hey y'all, I've had my BX25 for...bout 4 years now. For clearing snow, I would use my quad w/blade to push the snow to a pile, then I would jump on Clementine to pile it up. BUT this year, I discovered the FLOAT function, and I'm getting use to it, and liking it. Its actually a lot faster with than with the quad.
I'd like to pass this along; with the FEL control lever, put it right forward till it releases, and as you drive along, you'll see it "floating". now adjust the pitch of the bucket and away you go!!!

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Partner, you've got some good information, but you been spending too much time riding that '68 'cause if you'd been on the forum you'd have discovered it much earlier!!:D

Post pictures of the '68, and the tractor!

SAITCHO

Equipment
B26,Tajfun logging winch,Box scraper, Log grapple
Sep 5, 2016
Canada
Maybe I am doing something wrong but on my B26 I have not found anything useful to do with the float mode. I tried to plow snow but with the blower on the back each time I get any sort of resistance from the plow the front wheel start to lift immediately. Same thing happen in the dirt with the backhoe on, the front of the tractor seem too light....

anavidi

Equipment
B2601
Nov 28, 2017
POWAY
I also rarely use the Float function of the FEL as just a bit of resistance tends to lift the front wheels up. Perhaps my technique is wrong or i'm not using it in the right application?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I also rarely use the Float function of the FEL as just a bit of resistance tends to lift the front wheels up. Perhaps my technique is wrong or i'm not using it in the right application?
If your lifting the front wheels your not in float. Give the stick a quick hard push towards the dash and you'll feel it go into float.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When putting the bucket in float mode just push the joy stick forward untill you feel resistance, then push it forward harder until you feel it click into float mode. It will feel like you are going to break the stick the first couple of times that you do it but unless you feel it click into float position, you are not in float mode. As previous posters have said, if your front wheels lift, you are not floating the FEL.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Not necessarily so, guys who say he's not in float. I have been an equipment operator for many years, and can speak from experience. On my 2501, pushing snow in Float will raise the front wheels off the ground. If the snow has been packed down or has been tamped and is wet and heavy, or you just have a big 'ol pile of snow, it will lift the front off the ground. Same applies for Payloaders and larger equipment as well. If there is too much resistance in float mode, there will be too much rearward force and will raise the front of the equipment. You can play around with bucket angle, but the end result will be the same, just a little further away. Float is not a do all fix all with any type of loader. Dirt work in float is not really recommended, unless you are back dragging. It will just dig and dig going forward. Situations always vary of course, but I understand what he is saying.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Float is fluid going in and out at will, there is NO resistance, thus float... no way, if the wheels are coming off the ground that you are actually in float.. simple it would not support the weight of the front end.
The resistance is from what you are pushing against. Since the fluid is free flowing, it will lift the front end when something too heavy is encountered. Thats what it's supposed to do. Happens all the time with heavy loads being pushed. If you were in a locked position, the tractor will spin or stall, rather than lift the front end when too much resistance is met. Usually.

Last edited:

Lizlec

Equipment
BX1870-1 + LA203A FEL + B2789 3PT SB + 54" HLA1500 Snowpusher
Feb 4, 2018
Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada
Float is fluid going in and out at will, there is NO resistance, thus float... no way, if the wheels are coming off the ground that you are actually in float.. simple it would not support the weight of the front end.
In float mode if the loader face enough resistance the front wheel can effectively lift from the ground. I face this issue regularly. As the rear wheels push the tractor but the loader retain it from getting forward the lift cylinders will retract completely and the front wheels will lift up as a result. Try by yourself by puting the loader in face of something that won't move as a frozen snow pile or a curb in float mode and you'll see ;-)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's the torque of the rear wheels and the lack of weight (loader weight) that's "lifting" the front wheels off the ground, and yes a tractor can do just that in float, both my L3450 and Bobcat, and others that I've operated, do it all the time.
The loader weight is mainly on the ground when you have it in float.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry, I only use Float in reverse... back dragging. I'm not sure it's designed to float pushing forward... MY BAD, I guess!

Is float really design for pushing???
Yep, it's just a matter of things being right for it to work good, snow work is usually easier if iced under it! :D

Last edited:

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Next thing you'll find is the rear diff lock pedal. =)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Sorry, I only use Float in reverse... back dragging. I'm not sure it's designed to float pushing forward... MY BAD, I guess!

Is float really design for pushing???
Back dragging is what I use the float for also. May have to try it pushing with the snow blade. I was having second thoughts about purchasing the blade but with the little snow we have had it sure does a pretty job in conjunction with the rear blade turned around, cutting edge is facing back.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I've had very good results using float while clearing snow off my blacktop drive. I also have a urethane strip on the bottom of my bucket. Sure beats the heck out of walking behind a snow blower! :D

Yukon Wild

Equipment
Kubota L4400HST, Loader, Box Blade, Cultivator, Back Blade
Jan 10, 2017
Whitehorse, Yukon
I use my FEL in float all the time for clearing snow with a bucket, the wheels don't usually lift if the angle of the bucket is level or up. If the wheels are lifting it could be because of the angle of the bucket being too sharp and digging in the ground or as mentioned by others because of obstacles, load too heavy,etc.

Last edited:

ru499

Equipment
BX25DLB
Mar 17, 2014
Tuckerton, NJ USA

Probably cause the bucket gets full and heavy. Becomes hard to push, so your tractor starts to raise front end. Happens to all of us. If you put the bucket in float, just raise it a hair (which takes it off float) and if you’re on a level surface, you’ll have the weight on the front axle and she’ll steer and stay on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
I use a snowpusher and the lazy mode of using the float means that the loader automatically adjusts to slight elevation changes in the gravel driveway.

But this mode compromises the pushing ability of the tractor, almost canceling the front wheel assist. I'm returning to manual loader positioning, since rear wheel spin is negated. Float utilization seems appropriate only under light load conditions.