FEL damaging paved driveway

BX Woody

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, MMM, Bagger, Snow B
Feb 10, 2018
Canada
I had some soil dropped in my driveway the other weekend and I moved it around my property with the FEL on the bx1880. When I was at the point of cleaning the driveway with the hose I noticed all kinds of gouges on the pavement ( newer driveway to boot). I raised the bucket in the air to see what was causing the damage and I noticed that the sides of the bucket hang 3/8” lower than the bottom of the bucket does. It therefore creates an outside edge on the bottom of the bucket which is causing the gouging.
I’m planning to weld some 3/8 x 1.50 flat bar to the belly of the bucket to act as skid shoes.

Has anyone else had this problem? Im not sure why Kubota wouldn’t have made the bottom totally flat?

rexey

Jun 29, 2017
New Hampshire.
I had some soil dropped in my driveway the other weekend and I moved it around my property with the FEL on the bx1880. When I was at the point of cleaning the driveway with the hose I noticed all kinds of gouges on the pavement ( newer driveway to boot). I raised the bucket in the air to see what was causing the damage and I noticed that the sides of the bucket hang 3/8” lower than the bottom of the bucket does. It therefore creates an outside edge on the bottom of the bucket which is causing the gouging.

I’m planning to weld some 3/8 x 1.50 flat bar to the belly of the bucket to act as skid shoes.

Has anyone else had this problem? Im not sure why Kubota wouldn’t have made the bottom totally flat?

Gonna look at mine tomorrow. But I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Both of my Kubota buckets had end plates extending down as you describe. Why, I don’t know. I lower it flat and level, then roll the bucket forward when on pavement.
I have also considered welding some flat stock on the bucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Google it, it is heavy wear plastic that comes in all shapes and sizes. There are many places you can order it from. I used some on the sliding ram on my wood splitter when the brass piece wore out. It is also used to line dump truck bodies to make them slippery so loads slide out easier.

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
If you have the bucket set so the front cutting edge is flat on the ground as it should be, those edges will not be touching. It is when you have the bucket rolled back to far the will be touching the pavement.

Mandres

Equipment
BX1880
Jul 20, 2018
Houston, TX
Interesting. I have a newer BX1880 and the bucket on mine has a flat bottom, no protruding end pieces. I went out and checked right away after seeing this thread. That seems 100% guaranteed to damage to the ground under anything you're trying to scoop.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I've been tempted by these:

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer

I'd have gotten them but I don't use my loader during the winter, so not much loader work on the driveway.

I have a set of edge tamers, and for the money they can’t be beat. I use them frequently on grass while scooping material. For snow on pavement they will leave about 3/4” of snow behind, but I can also push snow piles off the pavement and into the grass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a gravel drive and use the Edge Tamers on hte FEL for snow. No gravel is scooped up. I am sure a more talented operator could do just as good without them but I am a dofus sometimes and they make the difference.
I've also used them when I have had mulch or soil deliveries. I lay out a enormous tarp (30' X 60') over the gravel and the dump trucks dumps, I can run the FEL with the tamers right over it and scoop 99% up. No snagging or tearing the tarp.

reamer

Equipment
B2400, BX1500
Jun 6, 2018
Ashford CT
If it is in "float" on the joy stick, there is no down pressure, to gouge, you must have been in "lower" mode with pressure.....
Float will contour to the ground, as the ground goes up and down, so does the bucket, Only the weight of the bucket is on the driveway, .....