F##kin FORDS!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Guess he's buying us all new rides !
As long as he don't buy me a new 'mustang'`.
Had one in my driveway...man what a waste of technology, $14K for a new battery every 6 years, yeesh, I can buy a LOT of $10 gas for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Everybody gets scared of the ecoboost and I understand why

internet, forums.

Fewer people post about their great experiences, many many post about their bad ones.

I've had 2 EB's, one 2016 F-150 3.5, other 2019 Mustang 2.3. I liked both, preferred the 2.3 for a commuter. 40mpg, 300+ hp. Advertised at I think 32 mpg but I often was able to squeak 41 out of it (highway).

Where turbo engines (gas anyway) get a bad rep, is people using them like diesels, and/or folks griping about the lack of fuel mileage (waaaa, i only get 16 mpg). Well newsflash, most GM's don't get any better, fiat or whowever they are now, no better, toyota way worse (V8 tundra), and lastly how you drive it makes all the difference. You ain't gonna have eco AND boost. Pick one. if you are in boost, you are going to drink fuel. If you aren't in boost, rather 8" of vacuum or less (8-20), your mpg is respectable.

turbo's don't fail because they just want to, people talk about them often failing. They fail (usually) because of lack of clean oil, lack of clean air, and very seldomly FOD entry. All of those are generally maintenance items. BTW Ford says 10,000 mi between oil changes, IIRC (they said 7500 on my Mustang). I did it more often than that, and with both EB's never once had any issue.

Back to driving a 30 year old beater now....Coworker says it's a gen 1 ecoboost. LOL. Nothing eco about it, when in boost. Nothing eco about it when in vacuum either come to think of it but I'm not gonna run out and spend $50 grand on a new Mustang, or $70K on a new pickup truck. Just ain't happening.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My 2016 Ford EB Sport gets better mileage than my wife's 2016 Limited, with the same engine less the turbo when she drives it, and I can usually get better mileage out of her car when I drive it. She also goes through tires and brakes faster than my car does. At 24,000 she needed all new tires and both front and rear brakes. At 30,000 my Sport needed new rear brakes, and at 55,000 miles the fronts are still good. It is how you drive the car that determines mileage and wear.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My 2016 Ford EB Sport gets better mileage than my wife's 2016 Limited, with the same engine less the turbo when she drives it, and I can usually get better mileage out of her car when I drive it. She also goes through tires and brakes faster than my car does. At 24,000 she needed all new tires and both front and rear brakes. At 30,000 my Sport needed new rear brakes, and at 55,000 miles the fronts are still good. It is how you drive the car that determines mileage and wear.
Amen!
I don't even bring the subject up, but when she drives (with me riding), I just bite my lip.
I too can get double the brake and tire wear.
Outlining improved driving technique to her would be VERY counterproductive!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I don;t ride with my girlfriend as she scares the $%^& out of me. And she'll say "I'll have you know I've never had an accident"...ok
She doesn't hug the center line she hugs the ditch...I say when I can reach out and touch the sidewalk Your Off The Road...

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
manifold warped.jpg

You can see how warped the manifold is on the right. Both were like this. 10 year old truck

chowdered orings.jpg

These where the sealing orings inside of 1/4" coolant line fittings. Look how messed up they are. only one of these was leaking but the other was on its way. only 10 years old.

intake off.jpg

Got to tear the engine down just to reach a coolant fitting....on a 10 year old truck...ughhhh what a PIA

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
hmm, is the warping due to not retoking the bolts every year ??
no its a bad design, too few studs where it matters resulted in broken studs. The new oem manifolds are different and utilize more studs because they know the original design failed. Wish they would pay me for thier failure.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don;t ride with my girlfriend as she scares the $%^& out of me. And she'll say "I'll have you know I've never had an accident"...ok
She doesn't hug the center line she hugs the ditch...I say when I can reach out and touch the sidewalk Your Off The Road...
Unfortunately, It is very likely that eventually she will catch the right front wheel on a sharp drop asphalt edge lip,.......and over she goes!

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
View attachment 76748
You can see how warped the manifold is on the right. Both were like this. 10 year old truck

View attachment 76749
These where the sealing orings inside of 1/4" coolant line fittings. Look how messed up they are. only one of these was leaking but the other was on its way. only 10 years old.

View attachment 76750
Got to tear the engine down just to reach a coolant fitting....on a 10 year old truck...ughhhh what a PIA
Well, I am no Ecoboost expert but with that much warpage, you probably had a lot of air being ingested that would make the A/F ratio oxygen sensor add more fuel. I am not sure how much hotter the turbos would get due to the extra air and fuel but the catalytic converter tends to melt inside with the high temperature. I would check the turbos and the cats before reassembly to avoid additional headaches later on.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Well, I am no Ecoboost expert but with that much warpage, you probably had a lot of air being ingested that would make the A/F ratio oxygen sensor add more fuel. I am not sure how much hotter the turbos would get due to the extra air and fuel but the catalytic converter tends to melt inside with the high temperature. I would check the turbos and the cats before reassembly to avoid additional headaches later on.
Turbos looked ok, one is newer than the other so changed before i bought the truck. Never threw any codes

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Bought a used truck with 110,000 miles and you're bitching? Don't blame Ford, blame yourself.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Ah, well, you should know, if you don't already. These car / truck manufacturers build vehicles to last until warranty end.
The 1980's was the worst example of that in American vehicles.
Sadly, it took Japanese quality to force American car companies to build better and longer lasting machines.

Ford's ecoboost is a prime example of old school American car maker mentality. The ecoboost offers power and torque when you need it, and fuel economy when you don't. But it's a high pressure fuel and delivery system that eats itself.
My dad used to pull and replace engines in the garage back in the 1970's. One can't do that anymore with today's technology. You'd need the computer setup.
In fact, I've replaced a few engines in my home garage. In the 80's and 90's. Mostly Japanese stuff for my kids.

It's a sad testament to today's tech.
Although I'm not an electric vehicle fan, Elon was probably correct in saying that vehicles are becoming too expensive, and unaffordable for the typical citizen.

Until they find out that sitting on all those batteries causes cancer. Probably in your colon.
As for me, I'm still dedicated to old school until I die or have to take the bus.

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Bought a used truck with 110,000 miles and you're bitching? Don't blame Ford, blame yourself.
Blame myself for fords poor engineering and design? at 1 mile the oring and manifold above were on a path to premature failure due to that poor engineering and design.
Plenty of people on the internet that bought brand new trucks had similar problems at super low miles.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Ah, well, you should know, if you don't already. These car / truck manufacturers build vehicles to last until warranty end.
The 1980's was the worst example of that in American vehicles.
Sadly, it took Japanese quality to force American car companies to build better and longer lasting machines.

Ford's ecoboost is a prime example of old school American car maker mentality. The ecoboost offers power and torque when you need it, and fuel economy when you don't. But it's a high pressure fuel and delivery system that eats itself.
My dad used to pull and replace engines in the garage back in the 1970's. One can't do that anymore with today's technology. You'd need the computer setup.
In fact, I've replaced a few engines in my home garage. In the 80's and 90's. Mostly Japanese stuff for my kids.

It's a sad testament to today's tech.
Although I'm not an electric vehicle fan, Elon was probably correct in saying that vehicles are becoming too expensive, and unaffordable for the typical citizen.

Until they find out that sitting on all those batteries causes cancer. Probably in your colon.
As for me, I'm still dedicated to old school until I die or have to take the bus.
Niether one of my issues where due to wear and tear at a set number of miles. They were failures before they left the assembly line because of a poor design

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Blame myself for fords poor engineering and design? at 1 mile the oring and manifold above were on a path to premature failure due to that poor engineering and design.
Plenty of people on the internet that bought brand new trucks had similar problems at super low miles.
You are correct, don't let those that do little or nothing get you down.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If ELON did say that cars are getting overly expensive, he's exactly right

oxymoron. "Cars are getting too expensive"....so let's build a $100,000+ vehicle.

I am sure Tesla means well, but if you watch the documentary about Nikola Tesla, you'll realize that he was a electrical genius, but a total idiot when it came to common sense. And I've seen some things come from Tesla (car mfg) the same way.

I ditched my 2019 Mustang and went back to a 93 Mustang. The 19, insurance was $446 every 3 months. Plus a $350/mo payment. Plus 19" tires that cost about $1100 for a set of 4 (luckily I found a used set for under half that). Brake pads are high. Oil changes were cheap and quite easy. The 10 speed auto, trans flush, about $250 or so. I had an appointment to get it done but ended up selling the car before it was flushed. The '93? Insurance is $132 every 6 months, no payment, no note to carry, cheap tires, cheap brakes, I have lots of spare parts from playing with them over the years, etc. But it ain't got leather and it ain't got Apple CarPlay. Big deal. I can live without those. Oh, and power--the 93 ain't got the power either but again, big deal.

I am back to debt-free again. yes I drive a clunker. I do not care. The gov is going to force us all into EV's but I'm not buying anytime soon. The tech, infrastructure, and most importantly my income, is going to have to improve dramatically before I get one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Once you wake up and understand there is ZERO money in making a good,reliable product you QUIT buying 'new and better' stuff. Doesn't matter if it's cars, computers, tools, etc.it's just a 'numbers game' to them. Make and market something you just 'have to have', can't live without. OK, some things are better ,but really a 4WD, 4 door, 600HP pickup with 500# of electronic toys used as a 'grocery getter' with a 65K price tag ? Since they've made MILLIONS of these 'trucks', they should be $5K, no more, after all the volume discounts on the bits and pieces that go into the truck. When I was buying computer chips and LEDs, the price break at 100 was about 1/3 of '1 to 10' pcs, at 1000, 20%, never asked the cost at 1 million, but it will be substantial ! funny how those savings aren't passed on to the consumer. First cellphone I had( the brick) cost $2500, today the 'smart phone' is $1100+-, when it SHOULD be about $45..even then that gives them a HUGE profit.