EZ Float 3-Point

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Gang,

Had my bro out from California and let him drive my Kubota. First tractor driving experience for him. (He did great!)

Before he came out, I described the engineering problem associated with anything hard-mounted on the three point. Front tire rolls over a dime, the attachment goes down a dime. Front wheel goes into a hole, the attachment goes up in the air. Makes dragging anything really smooth, really difficult, as those who have tried it can attest.

Solution: Floating 3-point.

We tried dragging my rake with the tines turned around to "skim" instead of "claw side." When we pulled the upper 3-pint support pin, the rake settled into a nice pressure that allowed it to float really nicely, until you tried to turn, then it chattered a little and left the minor finish flaw as a result.

You can come up with the method that works easiest for your implement and application. Use a suitable chain for the upper leg of the 3-point. You can either make a small 6-inch chain section that fits on your existing upper link, though you may have to shorten it a tad, or you can use SS quik-links on heavy chain with eyes big enough to get the proper pin size through.

My buddy in Ohio used the "all-chain" method to hitch his scraper box in order to do his driveway. Hard mounted, he used to have to drive at a walking pace to get a decent finish.

With the chain lowered to "slack" the box essentially floated on its own weight. He said it worked like magic and the finish job it did was flawless. Plus, he could run the tractor at four times the speed, and on his 1/4mi driveway, that made a huge difference. When he was done, he could still pick up the box and drive away. Bought all the parts at TSC. My TSC opens in a few months, so I'll fabricate mine later.

Anyway, just another idea if it works for you...

Ray

DISCLAIMER: Please read all instructions and warnings before use. Must be 18 years of age or older to proceed further. Enter at your own risk. Do not enter. Speed limit - 28.8 or higher. Stop here on red. May not work on green tractors. Trucks over 4 tons excluded. Void where prohibited by law. Some assembly required. This is a test of the emergency broadcast system - this is ONLY A TEST! List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Use only as directed. For indoor or outdoor use only. Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly. We make no other warranties, expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Postal service will not deliver mail without postage. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. May be too intense for some viewers. See other side for additional listings. This product is meant for educational purposes only. For recreational use only. For office use only. For entertainment purposes only. Only 1 winner per household. Do not disturb. All models are over 18 years of age. Apply only to infected areas. If condition persists, consult your physician. Take two of these and call me in the morning. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Now with new plastic applicator. High altitude directions-increase cook time by 10 minutes. This is not an attorney advertisement or referal service. No user-serviceable parts inside. Website contains small parts and is not intended for use by children under the age of eighteen. This compact disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Times are approximate. Do not disturb. Simulated picture. Please remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop. Return your seatback and tray table to their normal upright position. Your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device. In the event of decreased air pressure, oxygen masks will pop out of the top of your monitor. The call you have made requires a 20 cent deposit. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. Do not block intersection. No tresspassing. No stopping or standing. Don't even think about parking here. No parking when road is snow covered. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Product will be hot after heating. Do not iron clothes on body. Remove clothing before distributing in washing machine. Do not use while sleeping. Do not use on food. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-Tobacco ingredients. Colors may fade. Insert this end first. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. This page made from 100% recycled electrons. Slippery when wet. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. Void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Provided "as-is" without warranty. Reader assumes full responsibility. We are an equal opportunity employer. No shoes, no shirt, no service. Quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one per family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. Process promptly. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Webmaster is also not responsible for items left, lost or stolen. At participating locations only. Sold by weight, not by volume. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. This web site rated 'R' for Mature audiences. Do not take with alcohol. Sealed for your protection - do not use if safety seal is broken. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Use seatbelts even with airbags. Do not stop on railroad tracks. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Employees must wash hands before returning to work. Caution, coffee is served HOT. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Filmed in front of a live, studio audience. Call now to ensure prompt delivery. Leave off the last S for savings. Calls may be monitored for quality assurance or training purposes. Please make your selections from the following menu. All representatives are still busy assisting other callers. Please stay on the line and a representative will be with you when they feel the need. Please call back during our normal business hours. You must be present to win. Winners need not be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. Do not use this product with a petroleum based lubricant. No animals were harmed in the preparation of this web site; only humans. This web page contains no CFCs. Discontinue use if nausea or dizziness occurs. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flames. No soliciting. Bridge freezes before road surface. Stop, get ticket. Right lane must turn right. Left lane must turn left. Middle lane must make up their damn minds. This site runs on unleaded fuel only. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Buses and carpools with two or more people only. No hitchhiking. Components may be hot. Silica gel - do not eat. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. Details on reverse side. Shoplifters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. We reserve the right to check all bags, coats & personal belongings upon exiting this page. Recycle. Fragile - handle with care. This side up. No jumping or diving. No running by the pool. Register has less than $50 after dark. Driver does not carry cash. No swimming unless lifeguard is present. Swim at your own risk! Please do not wade in fountain. Guaranteed low prices. Not transferable. Actual size not shown. Contents under pressure. Do not intentionally inhale vapors. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Please be kind, rewind. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include tax. Do not remove any HTML tags under penalty of law. Hand wash only - tumble dry on low heat. No Canadian coins. Short circuit may cause fire. No more than 3 transactions per car. Not recommended for small children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No alcohol, dogs or horses. Not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. Blackout dates may apply. Viewing by pregnant women may result in fetal injury, premature birth and low birth weight. First pull up, then pull down. Insert Tab A into Slot B. Call toll free number before digging. This space (____________) intentionally left blank. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Doors do not rebound or bounce back. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. Patent pending. For external use only. Avoid extreme temperatures. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a magnetic source. Smoking could be hazardous to your health. Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, induce vomiting. Ribbed for her pleasure. Offer valid only at participating locations. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. You may distribute this article freely, but may not make a profit from it. Actual cash value of this website is 1/1000th of a cent. Listen to your mom. Eat your veggies. Wear your seatbelt. Don't take candy from strangers... or strange people... or anyone really. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. If something offends you, lighten up, get a life and move on. This list was current at the time of printing. Terms are subject to change without notice. All decisions are final! This supersedes all previous notices.
Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes, or other acts of God, neglect, damage from improper use, incorrect line voltage, unauthorized use, unauthorized repair, improper installation, typos, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, disk failure, accidental file deletions, mud slides, forest fire, hitting of a deer, milk coming out of your nose due to laughing while drinking, or projectiles, which can include, but are not limited to, arrows, bullet shots, BBs, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc. This disclaimer may not be copied or reproduced in any form without the expressed written consent of whoever I stole it from.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
How about a pic of said pin pullage? And maybe the result?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Im confused I thought 3pt was always in Float when it's down all the way.

BTW- Disclaimer is funny..... but a bit much for a signature line. It's distracting

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Tractors son... dangerous business...DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!!! Can't be too careful with the surge in booger-eating-morons out there. :)

My buddy is at work. When he gets home, I'll get him to post some pictures of his chain upper link and the result on his gravel driveway. To simulate it on your box or rake, just disconnect the upper link and drag it a ways. The problem is, with the hard link detached, you cannot pick up the implement to travel. But, with the formerly relaxed chained pulled tight again, you can pick up the implement and travel, just like with a hard link.

I have pulled my rake with the upper detached and it worked well, except for chattering in the corners. (I think that could be resolved by slowing down but my brother drives race cars and a Kubota is like "slo-mo" for him.) I don't have the nifty chain mod made up for my tractor yet but I will do pull it with the upper disconnected and see if mine works as well. I'll post pictures.

Stay tuned...

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The Problem: The rake chatters when pulled via 2-point. The smooth part is the box pulled 2-point (upper released)

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/CaptStark/media/Kubota-2point-5.jpg.html][/URL]

The box fills up, but then glides on its own layer of material. This material is decomposing granite...

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/CaptStark/media/Kubota-2point-4.jpg.html][/URL]

Shot of box from rear... notice 1/2" between blade and surface...

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/CaptStark/media/Kubota-2point-6.jpg.html][/URL]

This area was a booger due to washout from our monsoons. I could NEVER get this level via 3-point. Here is one pass via 2-point. Extra material in box fills voids really nicely.

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/CaptStark/media/Kubota-2point-3.jpg.html][/URL]

Now, try it and show me YOUR pictures! :)

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The upper link is your box's pitch control so it's finding it's own level in 2 point. That's not quite 'float' but float with no pitch control so 'free wheeling'? I have no idea what to call it, maybe just a 'drag' connection.

I'd probably put 4' 2x4 runners on the sides of the box bottom so it didn't just arbitrarily decide to change pitch and dig in or dump the box. Call it sled skis for the box.

On the rake, change the side pitch so it's at an angle, the chatter should stop when you hit the right angle for the corners.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
CoachGeo,

My experience is that once the 3-point goes past grade contact, I still get the tractor influencing the implement angle. With the 3-point all the way down, I still seem to get a wavy pass if the tractor is riding through bumps. I agree with you, float when the 3-pt is all the way down, makes more sense for the intended purpose. Of course, I am plowing in soft material so full down may put enough weight on the implement to dig in more when I was using the rake reversed, but the 400lb box scraper stops digging in once the box fills up -and it floats. Not sure if it did that on gravel but we'll know next week when my friend gets home. I'll try it again with box scraper and later with the rake next time I have it loaded up

Sorry about the distracting disclaimer. Not in my signature, I promise.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks Shaun. I'll try that with the rake!

A friend of mine uses his box to drag his two horse pastures. I'll ask him if he goes full down on his 3pt because his passes are laser level and the ridge between passes is like mine in the pictures above.

One way to test the float is to lower my box on a floor jack. I'll have to try that too...

Thanks guys.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Simple test so you can determine for yourself that the 3 pt hitch on your tractor "floats" is with nothing attached to fully lowered 3 pt hitch with engine running reach down and pick up on one of the draft arms and rotate rockshaft all the way to the top. Very few tractors have no float on 3 pt hitch and Kubota isn't one without a floating 3 pt hitch.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks Jim!

I'll try it. What's a "rockshaft?"

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The key to working with a box blade on soft material is the angle of the attack, lengthening the top link will put more weight on the back blade and cause it to float more than dig. ;)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
As usual, the wealth of knowledge here is awesome. Thanks to everyone!

For newbies: The 3pt will float above whatever lower limit you select with the selector. Lowering the selector all the way down will give the implement the widest degree of freedom to float. The lowest setting will allow a box to move up or down within the limits of the 3pt. There is a slight change in "angle of attack" of the implement, relative to the line between the front and rear axles, depending on where the implement is, high or low.

Even though the implement will "float" up and down through the degrees of freedom offered by the hitch design, as the relative change in level of the axles occurs, slight changes will be transmitted to the implement because the 3pt geometry produces a slight "radius" in the top to bottom travel of the implement because of the difference between upper link and lower arm length.

I talked to my former neighbor who drags his horse corrals. He goes full down, the box fills up, and then floats on its contents as it slides along. If you try to limit the "floor" of your box or blade, you likely won't get the benefits associated with allowing the box to fill up, which is necessary for filling in depressions and smoothing out undulating terrain. As the front of the tractor goes down, the rear limit will come up and that may lift your implement if you don't select the "full down" bottom limit for the 3pt.

Pulling 2pt allows the implement a little more freedom to move about and may offer a different finish, depending on the implement. Experiment!

Hope that helps...

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
for doing banked turns wonder if you could just add say 5"-8"? length of chain to the two sides and use solid top link? or Chain all 3? Might allow for following natural contour of the bank if of course you like the existing bank and are not trying to manipulate it. Granted you would need to limit chain length so not to get into the wheels

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ray, I don't mean to poo poo on a parade but here goes.

I spotted several major issues to the chain top link idea!

#1. The sides of the box blade are just digging into the ground and will just wear out and in a short period of time you will have a junk box blade.
There is a reason that there is 2 blades on the box, one reason is to push material in the direction of travel the second is to float the blade in the opposite direction of travel.

#2. Think about this real carefully, what can happen to this box blade when it it's a semi solid or solid object on the front of the wing???
I'll tell you, it rotates the blade up towards the tractor and either contacts the tires, which can get really ugly really fast, or it contacts the back of the tractor and breaks/ bend/ destroys who knows what.

So based on these 2 factors I wouldn't call it a good or safe idea to hang a box blade on the back of your tractor with a chain for a top link.

Again I will say, if you adjust the top link properly so the weight is on the back blade of the box, it will float. ;)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Good points, especially about the wear.

My box pulling 2pt floats about level. Notice the edges of the lower box are parallel to the ground. That may be due to the smaller grain of the material I was grading vs large rock. The box was full indeed.

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/CaptStark/media/Kubota-2point-4.jpg.html][/URL]

Bert's box was elevated at the back and that may concentrate his pressure (wear) on the front edge. I'll have him try your suggestion the next time he drags his driveway. The way he had it set up before with the hard top link, he had to drive ever so slow.

I put a well in. The well tailings were 4" of gooey white clay mix when it came out of the ground. After drying out, I was able to drag by box through it today and, once the box filled with material, the box started to float -like magic. The pass left a smooth finish and I was able to slowly raise the box to get it emptied with a nice taper.

Mine must be set up better. We'll have him try it!

Last edited: