EWK pneumatic/manual oil extractor pump.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've never owned an oil extractor pump mostly because I've never owned an engine that presented a major challenge when it comes to changing the oil. I suppose the worst thing I've owned or encountered are cars with fancy belly pans that need to be removed in order to access the drain plug and/or oil filter. Anyway, I was watching a YouTube video from Marine Tech (they make amazing boat motor tools) and saw them using an EWK oil extraction pump during an engine service.

I need to change the oil on a new outboard after 20 hours and I was wondering how I'd do that at the house. I don't like the idea of filling up a big tote and sticking the prop in it to get the oil circulating and the engine warm, or clamping on a set of those "ears" connected to a hose. It occurred to me that I could suck the oil out of the engine right after I get the boat off the river and back on the trailer, or even do it with the boat in the water but on the trailer ... obviously.

I don't know if this pump will ever be useful when removing fluids from either tractor, but that's not why I bought it. I did replace the coolant expansion tank and cap on the F250 last year and siphoned the coolant into a bucket and this gizmo would have been useful. Not much fun sucking on a hose and getting a mouthful of coolant. 😖

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
As long as it's not a dry sump oiling system, we have used the 12 volt oil extractor for 30 years on marine engines. We don't even mess with the vacuum style. They work fine, it's just that the old Sea-board 12v pump still works after all these years.
Note- some 4wd tractors have a split pan. Meaning the front drive shaft goes through the oil pan. The pan has 2 sides- left and right. Each side has a drain plug. I can't see the pump or extractor reaching both sides of the wet sump in this situation.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have 2 that I use. Originally had one but it was loaned out and forgot to whom. Bought another and the first one was returned. I got mine from West Marine. Great company with great products. You can reverse the pump to put the used oil into containers for disposal.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have 2 that I use. Originally had one but it was loaned out and forgot to whom. Bought another and the first one was returned. I got mine from West Marine. Great company with great products. You can reverse the pump to put the used oil into containers for disposal.

Wow! We bought ours from West Marine for $60...... 35 years ago!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
As long as it's not a dry sump oiling system, we have used the 12 volt oil extractor for 30 years on marine engines. We don't even mess with the vacuum style. They work fine, it's just that the old Sea-board 12v pump still works after all these years.
Note- some 4wd tractors have a split pan. Meaning the front drive shaft goes through the oil pan. The pan has 2 sides- left and right. Each side has a drain plug. I can't see the pump or extractor reaching both sides of the wet sump in this situation.
Yeah, I don't see myself using it for oil changes on the tractors. It's such an easy job on the MX and M, and both do have two oil drain plugs for the split oil pan.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

I can see how a 12V pump would make things easier and possibly faster, but from what I've seen, the hand pump type are plenty fast enough taking only a minute or two to suck out 8 quarts of oil. The new V6 outboard holds close to 8 quarts of oil. Since I won't be using the pump much, I'm ok with keeping it simple and not going the 12V pump route.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I don’t have that specific pump, but at home I use the mityvac one. It doesn’t have the option for pneumatic, but I don’t think I would even use it here anyways. Aside from your boat usage, they are also very handy for other small engines you may have (mowers, generators, pressure washer, etc.) especially if they have the drain plug right where it runs all over the frame. Definitely nice the have around, you may find more uses then you think for it.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have the one from HF and it does a great job.

I was reluctant to believe an evacuator could possibly be more reliable at removing All the Oil from an engine….. so I ran a test.

I drained the oil out of my Ram pickup truck…. left that plug out ’til NO MORE drips….put the plug back in…and stuck the tube down the dipstick-tube…and it SUCKED OUT ANOTHER PINT OF OIL!

When WalMart did an oil change for me one day they cross-threaded the drain plug and I made them pay for an entirely new oil pan on that truck. This gave me an excellent look at the design of that pan…and the drain plug is easily NOT the lowest point of the pan…. but the DipStick Tube aims that dipstick at the Very Lowest point of the reservoir.

My Yamaha outboard actually recommends an evacuator Over using the drain-plug.…and that was my impetus for trying that system.

I’m Sold on it now. (but it’s a damn shame you still have to get under the truck or car to remove the filter…(. I’ll be first in-line to buy a new car that has a Self-evacuator oil-change system and the filter remote-mounted up top under the hood.)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don’t have that specific pump, but at home I use the mityvac one. It doesn’t have the option for pneumatic, but I don’t think I would even use it here anyways. Aside from your boat usage, they are also very handy for other small engines you may have (mowers, generators, pressure washer, etc.) especially if they have the drain plug right where it runs all over the frame. Definitely nice the have around, you may find more uses then you think for it.
Excellent point! I have a lawn mower, a concrete mixer, an Oregon log splitter and a pressure washer all powered by Honda engines. I also have a Kubota diesel generator, so this pump might be way more useful than I realized.

It's hard not to make a mess changing oil on those Honda engines so there's a tendency to not do that sort of preventative maintenance. No excuses now. Come to think of it, the Oregon log splitter has an hydraulic tank and it'll be easy to suck the oil out this spring rather than disconnect lines to drain it.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Another good use for an evacuator….. Changing the Automatic Transmission Fluid in a vehicle.

This allows a change of fluid without having to drop the transmission PAN.

(Yes… I know… a filter is in that pan… but my good friend who owns a transmission specialty shop tells me that the ONLY time he’s EVER found anything in a transmission filter from a good transmission …is the FIRST time the filter is changed….due to break-in wear.
Subsequent filters NEVER have anything in them. For that reason he recommends a fluid and Filter change the First time…but only fluid changes there-on….

The only other times he’s found junk in a tranny filter is from a FAILED transmission… And in that case, the re-build requires dropping the pan and a new filter anyway.

So, an evacuator will allow a home handy-man to change his own automatic tranny fluid without having to take it to a shop or drop the pan.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I bought my electric powered one just a few months ago for $35. Works just fine….no reason to spend $126 over-rated dollars. ( I believe a lot of “inflation” is actually simple ”greed”.)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have the 12v Jabsco version and got it at Hodges Marine

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/jab17850-1012-jabsco-diy-oil-change-system-w-pump-and-35-gallo.html

It certainly makes oil changes effortless on some engines. (not all, but alot)

I opted for the "less expensive" version since I do not need the "reversible" pump. (I have to manually pour it out).

Great tool.

My 2501 is a "split pan" so it does not work on it, but I bought it for the boat anyway.

I had a 9qt manual vacuum one, but sent it back because it only held 7 Qts in reality.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't like the electric ones. Takes too long. I use either a manual extractor or a pneumatic one. One is a Mityvac and the other is based on a mityvac-I made my own out of some of the mityvac parts.

The one I made is 7 gal capacity. It's an old air tank that I modified a little bit to provide pump out function. It gets used at work a LOT. Lawn mowers mostly.

First time I used one I was like man why did you not have one of these a long time ago? It saves SOOOO much time-and aggravation! Especially on some mower engines that have a plastic drain plug or a drain HOSE that is kind of long and has a NPT cap on the end of it, which is almost always so tight that the hex on the hose gets rounded off, forcing you to use vise-grips to hold them. Then I have to wait for the SM to call customer and ask them if it's ok to replace it. Sometimes the customer says "it was fine when I dropped it off, you owe me a new one."--and we have to eat it. Fluid extractor SOLVES that issue, and takes a lot less time to suck the oil out too.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was away for a week on a business trip but was able to pick up the EWK extractor pump from my PO box yesterday. I'm really impressed with the quality of the EWK. It's solid with good hardware and the plastic container appears to be quite thick. There's even a hook to suspend the container for drainage. The quality and value far exceed what I was expecting.

If anyone is considering such a device, I would recommend EWK without hesitation.

ewk_01.jpg

ewk_02.jpg

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I was away for a week on a business trip but was able to pick up the EWK extractor pump from my PO box yesterday. I'm really impressed with the quality of the EWK. It's solid with good hardware and the plastic container appears to be quite thick. There's even a hook to suspend the container for drainage. The quality and value far exceed what I was expecting.

If anyone is considering such a device, I would recommend EWK without hesitation.

View attachment 125906

View attachment 125907
Looks nice.

I will say this, about the 2 that I tried. (manual and electric)

Having the oil at operating temperature , makes a huge difference in the speed with which they work.

Since "muffs" don't work on my Yamaha Outboard, I did it cold the first time. So it took a little while.

I am considering taking the pump with me to the docks when I go fishing, and sucking the oil out right when I get off the water.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am considering taking the pump with me to the docks when I go fishing, and sucking the oil out right when I get off the water.
That's exactly what I intend to do, and why I opted for the larger unit with the wider base, for stability. I want the oil to be nice and hot with any particulate in suspension when I drain it (suck it out).

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Looks nice.

I will say this, about the 2 that I tried. (manual and electric)

Having the oil at operating temperature , makes a huge difference in the speed with which they work.

Since "muffs" don't work on my Yamaha Outboard, I did it cold the first time. So it took a little while.

That's the only way to do it. Fresh off the water when it's over 150°

Reactions: 1 users