Equipment trailer ??

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I went out today looking at new equipment trailers, cant seam to find a good used one. Things are very exspensive these days $5400 for the one that looks like itll move most anything I can pull safely with my truck. The trailer is good for 14000 lbs double axel and brakes on both ( 7000lbs ) axels, most people worry about running down the highway at 50 mph I worry about stopping the thing. I believe between the double axel brakes and the exsaust brake on my F350 I should be ok. The trailer is good for much more than Ill be hauling but I always error on the safe side. Ill still look for a used unit till march then its time to bite the bullet. So with that being said what do you fellas and ladies move your equipment with?

Last edited:

Scottinvt

Equipment
Bx2350
Sep 19, 2012
Rutland,VT
Big tex trailers are great if you can find a dealer !! I had a 60ch tandem I hauled the kubota with. Now I use my dads anytime.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Need more info. Whats the weight of your equipment, what length trailer you thinking, beaver tail or drop gate, and what other uses you're likely be using it for (don't forget that you'll suddenly have relatives and friends that could "Really Use It" for things you never expected,LOL).

Ron

510EBL

Equipment
B7100 TLB
Jul 30, 2012
NJ, USA
Patience and persistence are your friends.

I picked up an 18' deck tandem axle equipment trailer, Hudson brand, brakes on both axles, all lights working with brand new tires for $900 a couple of months ago with a good, clean title and registration. It has a 10,000# GVW and weighs 1990# empty. I even got a 20 foot chain and pair of binders in the deal.

It is not as heavy as what you are looking for, but it's still a decent size trailer with heavy ramps for the sake of comparison. I found it on Craigslist.

Deals are out there, but they are not going to jump into the boat. You have to wet a line.

Did I mention patience? I looked for over 6 months...

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Nice trailers fellas. I'm in the market for something similar, but I'm going to be on the long term Craig's List search plan. Has to be big enough to haul a long box diesel crew cab. I can't justify the cost of a new one. I've got a GN hitch, but will probably go for a bumper pull in case it's my pickup that needs the ride.

Hodge, how tippy does your deckover feel with a full size pickup on it? I'd like the clearance, side loading option, and no fenders in the way of a deck over, but I don't know about the higher center of gravity. What's your experience?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Kaufman Trailer has a wide assortment of trailers for under 5K quite similar to the one you posted from Big Tex. I dont own one put I've pulled two of their trailers when I was driving for a towing and transport company. They had a 2 car tag along and a 3 car wedge goose neck and I went all up and down the East Coast with them and they held up quite well.

In my experience I prefer a deck over trailer to a lower trailer such as the one in the picture from Big Tex. You can get alot more on them and plenty of locations along the trailers side to chain your toys down with.

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heav...fman-Trailers-Catalog/Equipment-Trailers-c87/

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Nice trailers fellas. I'm in the market for something similar
I actually bought my Big Tex 70LP (yes my BX24 fits) from your neck of the woods at Kiperts Trailers. They treated me quite well. They added a few extras for less than than other dealers started before anything was added.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I have to I use little brothers car hauler, Tandem wheels and brakes make and mdl are unknown he picked it for like 300 bucks put some work in to it and it has a clean title. The deals like said are out there ya just have to be in the right place at the right time I guess.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Nice trailers fellas. I'm in the market for something similar, but I'm going to be on the long term Craig's List search plan. Has to be big enough to haul a long box diesel crew cab. I can't justify the cost of a new one. I've got a GN hitch, but will probably go for a bumper pull in case it's my pickup that needs the ride.

Hodge, how tippy does your deckover feel with a full size pickup on it? I'd like the clearance, side loading option, and no fenders in the way of a deck over, but I don't know about the higher center of gravity. What's your experience?
I haven't hauled a pickup truck on ours, but I have moved our skidsteer (4600 lbs), and the trailer didn't roll or feel tippy at all. We have hauled numerous loads of 200+ bales of hay on it, and it handled it great. So, I can't imagine a truck would adversely affect the trailer.

510EBL

Equipment
B7100 TLB
Jul 30, 2012
NJ, USA
There is a point to consider with deck-overs vs conventional trailers...getting a car or low/long pickup truck up on one. The "breakover" angle of most cars will make a loading dock (or steep bank) a necessity both loading and unloading if trying to load onto a deck-over. Tractors climb right up, and pickups that ride higher have less issues unless they have running boards, etc.

Of course if your needs are more industrial than that, the added space of the deck-over is worth the wait and cost to get one.

Deckover trailers are often available here for $1000-$1500, as long as you don't mind spending some time and money on the suspension and running gear.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My B7100 climbs right onto the trailer, without the backhoe or box scraper mounted. But with either of those mounted, no way.... approach angle is too steep. In those cases, I either have to crank the tongue way up high, or use a couple of 8ft 2"x12" ramp boards to lessen the approach angle.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
My B7100 climbs right onto the trailer, without the backhoe or box scraper mounted. But with either of those mounted, no way.... approach angle is too steep. In those cases, I either have to crank the tongue way up high, or use a couple of 8ft 2"x12" ramp boards to lessen the approach angle.
We shopped for and chose a deckover trailer, because we wanted to get as much hay on it as possible. That was one reason we liked the Kauffman- it has a deck riser on the beavertail. That being said, I was a little surprised that the tail of the skidsteer didn't rub on the ramps. Also, I can get my B7100 with the tiller mounted up and on, but not without tightening the top link up to get the back of the tiller higher. That's why they make so many different kinds of trailers- to suit so many needs. If we had gone with a goosneck equipment trailer, the deck would have been too narrow to get 200 bales on it. As it stands, this trailer serves us great, and there was and is no intention of putting a car on it, or a low truck.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
There is a point to consider with deck-overs vs conventional trailers...getting a car or low/long pickup truck up on one. The "breakover" angle of most cars will make a loading dock (or steep bank) a necessity both loading and unloading if trying to load onto a deck-over. Tractors climb right up, and pickups that ride higher have less issues unless they have running boards, etc.

Of course if your needs are more industrial than that, the added space of the deck-over is worth the wait and cost to get one.

Deckover trailers are often available here for $1000-$1500, as long as you don't mind spending some time and money on the suspension and running gear.

I have both a deck over and a lower utility trailer and I've never had a problem with low cars or compact trucks loading on a deckover. They actually load alot easier on the deck over given then longer ramps and the beaver tail before you hit the flat deck.

I've hauled many cars trucks and suvs on both my trailers and its alot cheaper then hiring a tow truck. I used to drive those for 6 years and know how expensive they can be on a distance haul.

510EBL

Equipment
B7100 TLB
Jul 30, 2012
NJ, USA
I have both a deck over and a lower utility trailer and I've never had a problem with low cars or compact trucks loading on a deckover. They actually load alot easier on the deck over given then longer ramps and the beaver tail before you hit the flat deck. <snip>
Ah, the deck-over I used to use had neither long ramps nor a beaver tail. It was primarily used for a mid-sized ford tractor with a loader and brush hog which drove right on. Cars...not so much.

There is a tool for every job, and some are more versatile than others!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ah, the deck-over I used to use had neither long ramps nor a beaver tail. It was primarily used for a mid-sized ford tractor with a loader and brush hog which drove right on. Cars...not so much.

There is a tool for every job, and some are more versatile than others!

Having a 4 or 5 foot beaver tail on a deck over makes all the difference in the world loading equipment also. I've see some tractors loaded on a trailer much like yours and the front end more or less bunny hopped onto the deck. I don't like the way that looked.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Ill be using the trailer to haul my Grand L3830 with disc and other atachments and on ocasion the Cat D-4 . The D-4 is the reason I want a heavy duty trailer the other tractors never leave the ranch and if they do my nephew drives low bed for a local trucking company. I looked at 2 used trailers yesterday both border line junk one had been jack knifed and was tweaked pretty bad. I sent an e-mail to Kauffman trailers and theyll respond with a quoat on a new trailer. Thanks for all the info fellas and keep it coming.