Engine wouldn't shut off

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Hi folks, long time, no visit!

I was wrapping up some night-mowing this evening. I knew my fuel level was low and on one of my last passes in the back yard, the engine shut down. I disconnected the PTO, lowered the throttle, and restarted it. I slowly drove back to the garage and turned the key to shut it off. Nothing. I looked around to see if I could find anything obvious, but saw nothing. I was able to shut it down by starving the intake air. Since it was late, I didn't want to mess with it anymore tonight. Figured I'd come here for advice.
(posting from mobile, so I don't know if my signature shows up. It's a 2014/2015 BX1870)

Any suggestions?

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
It's a 6 year old battery - replace it. If it still won't start check/clean battery cable connections on both ends. Night-mowing, assume you were using lights also.

The BX has a fuel shutoff solenoid that needs power to stop engine.

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
It's a 6 year old battery - replace it. If it still won't start check/clean battery cable connections on both ends. Night-mowing, assume you were using lights also.

The engine starts fine. No sluggish start whatsoever.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My apologies for bothering you for an answer. Now, smarty, where's the fuse panel? I clearly don't know my tractor that well.
Flip is pulling your leg... neither he nor I know offhand because we have different tractors. If you have an owner's manual that would help. On my L you can see it under the dash. Someone that has a BX could help, and a couple of guys are really good at finding even the newer manuals online. Hang on for more help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On some models there will also be a second fuse that specifically runs the stop solenoid, it's normally located up front under the hood.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
  • Love

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
ZoomZoom,
On my 2370, fuse block is located below loader valve under the radiator cover located below the steering wheel. HTH and post back with what you find.
Regards,

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Don't know. Do you have the Operator's Manual? You're in luck - you can get your WorkShop Manual at http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/&AutoIndex=9e8fb470ce920dbc9de52396447f456d, but I don't see the OM. A lot of tractors have the fuses in a little plastic box with a snap on cover. Often on the front or back of the firewall. BTW, the WSM lists your problem in the troubleshooting section.
Thx for the link. I do have the paper OM, and I've just dl'd the WSM.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Every model has it's fuse bank in a different spot. Even the same models with different configurations are in different spots. Yes, I was teasing you.

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
ZoomZoom,
On my 2370, fuse block is located below loader valve under the radiator cover located below the steering wheel. HTH and post back with what you find.
Regards,
Yes, that's where I found mine, too. Turned out to be a blown fuse. Got it working again. Thanks for the help everyone, except SidecarFlip.
IMG_20200823_150910.jpg
IMG_20200823_150828.jpg
IMG_20200823_150850.jpg
IMG_20200823_150823.jpg
IMG_20200823_151001.jpg

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I don't have a BX and the problem has been solved, so this is just out of curiosity: Shouldn't the alternator provide enough power to run the stop solenoid, even if the battery is weak?

Also, isn't it possible to shut down the BX by closing a fuel supply valve between the tank and the engine? I would think that is a safer option than blocking off the air intake -- no possibility of sucking something into the engine.

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I don't have a BX and the problem has been solved, so this is just out of curiosity: Shouldn't the alternator provide enough power to run the stop solenoid, even if the battery is weak?

Also, isn't it possible to shut down the BX by closing a fuel supply valve between the tank and the engine? I would think that is a safer option than blocking off the air intake -- no possibility of sucking something into the engine.
The solenoid runs off a 10A circuit. The fuse was blown, preventing the solenoid from actuating.

While searching for a solution before finding the fuse, I came across this video on YouTube. This was an easier and quicker way to shut down the engine than the method I used.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The solenoid runs off a 10A circuit. The fuse was blown, preventing the solenoid from actuating.
Yes, I realize that was the cause in the end. I am confused by the response that a weak battery could be the culprit.

I don't like the idea of someone having to stick their hand down beside the fan to perform an emergency shut-down. I think if I had a BX, I might be inclined to rig a cable operated emergency shut off to that lever after having seen this thread. We used to have something similar on the old firetrucks.

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, I realize that was the cause in the end. I am confused by the response that a weak battery could be the culprit.
The solenoid is actually on a timer circuit, so it holds the solenoid while the engine is shutting down. That means the alternator would no longer be giving voltage to the circuit, then it would rely on the battery. So, maybe that's where a weak battery could be problematic.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I don't like the idea of someone having to stick their hand down beside the fan to perform an emergency shut-down. I think if I had a BX, I might be inclined to rig a cable operated emergency shut off to that lever after having seen this thread. We used to have something similar on the old firetrucks.
My L35 has a cable and knob on the dash as well as the solenoid. Our Ford is about a '93 model and has just a manual knob. The solenoids are only necessary for safety shutdowns.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
When it happened to me (daylight hours, no electrical demands), I had run the battery down by starting, moving tractor, shutting down, some manual labor and repeating this process many times. When I manually closed the fuel stop solenoid, I discovered nothing requiring battery power would work. Recharged battery - everything OK. Later that winter replaced battery (about 6yrs old).

Tractors do not have suspension systems, if you, like me mow as fast as possible, every bump that's hard on your butt is also felt by the battery.

ZoomZooms 1st post did not mention tractor could restart. Jumped to a conclusion that battery was dead or corrosion on cables were the problem