Easier cam plug fix

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
Hello All! Well, I've gotten a ton of help from this site, so I figured it was about time I returned the favor.

Disclaimer: I am by no means telling anyone that this is the way they should do their repair. If you choose to do this, you do so at your own risk. I am simply sharing my experience, and offering another way you MAY want to repair your issue. OK, with that out of the way...

My B7100 developed the dreaded "cam plug fell out, low oil pressure" problem. After reading several guides on it, I really didn't want to tear the tractor that far down just to get the front cover off, and figured that there must be an easier way. Some of you may consider this blasphemy and would never do it in a million years, but I have done similar procedures countless times in the past, and never had a problem. Yes, I drilled a hole in the front cover, and accessed it that way. I tapped it for a 1/4 pipe thread, and plugged it with a pipe plug. I did the same type of thing on my 2001 Z06 Corvette for an oil return line, and that was over 100K miles ago. No issues and still running strong. If this is not your thing, so be it. No problem from my end, and I would never try to convince you to try it my way. If you want to do your repair in a couple of hours instead of a day or two, please read on...

OK, first things first. When you drill holes into any sort of material, you are obviously going to get shavings. You do not want these shavings running through your engine, as they can cause serious, even catastrophic damage. You cannot avoid making shavings, but if you are careful, and methodical, you can control where they go, or more importantly, where they DON'T go. Start with a clean surface. I cleaned mine by spraying on a little engine cleaner, and wiping it off with a rag. Whenever I have to drill a hole in a part that is still on the engine(or whatever I'm working on), I ALWAYS have a helper holding a vacuum hose under, and as close as possible, to the work. I also ALWAYS coat the end of the drill bit with the heaviest grease I can find. Not differential lube, like 80W90, or 90W120, but grease, like you use on your suspension. I always use my cordless 3 speed, on low gear, and go very slowly. This helps prevent the shavings from flying all over; they stay on the bit, as does the grease. I always start with a small bit, and work my up in steps, vacuuming and wiping clean the work surface after EACH AND EVERY step. Additionally, I ALWAYS flush the inside of the work area with engine flush. The engine flush I'm talking about is the kind intended to be added to your oil to flush out all the crud that builds up in an engine if the oil isn't changed often enough. (BTW, I have never, and would never, use this stuff in this manner. It's only going to cause leaks, and break up the crud just enough to get it flowing through your engine) I also ALWAYS add fresh oil and a new filter after the job, start and run the engine for 10 minutes, then drain it, checking for any metal particles. I then add fresh oil and another new filter.

OK, so here goes. I didn't think to start taking pictures of this until I already had the hole drilled, so I'll just try to be as descriptive as possible. To locate where to drill the hole, I looked at the part of the front cover that goes over the cam gear, and noticed that it formed part of a circle, a little more than half a circle, in fact. I determined where the widest section of that part of it was. and made marks on the cover, one mark on each side. (you can see the marks in one of the pictures below. This then, marks the center of that part circle, in one direction at least. Now, I measured the diameter of that circle, and divided by two, then measured that far in from one side to find the dead center of the circle. Using a very light tap with a sharp center punch, I marked the point to start drilling. I coated the tip of the bit with a big glob of grease, had my helper hold the vacuum hose in place, and began drilling. I started with a 3/16 bit, and gradually worked my way up, about 1/8 of an inch at a time. Slow speed, lots of grease and vacuum, and move slowly up in bit sizes, stopping at a 15/32ths bit. Same with the tap, slow and easy, lots of grease and vacuum.
Here is where the pictures start. Here is the hole, after being tapped. I did miss the center of the cam by just a smidge, but was still able to get done what I needed.

Next is the plug. I wanted to use steel, so that the expansion and contraction rates would be the same as the cam. First, I kept trying different sized drill bits, until I found one that fit very snugly into the hole in the cam. I measured it, and found it to be .191 inches. To make the plug, I used a 1/4 inch nail that I had left over from a project. From experience, I knew they were fairly brittle, and would break without bending a lot. Similar to the steel in a cam, and exactly what I needed in order to be able to snap it off, once in place in the hole in the cam. I don't have a lathe, so I cut off the head and the point, then mounted it in my drill press. I turned on the drill press, and used a 3 cornered file to score it about half way through, so it would break off where I wanted it to. I kept the file moving against the rotation of the nail, and just kept steady even pressure, making slow passes. Next, I had to turn down the diameter to fit the hole in the cam. I again turned on the drill press, and used a fine cut file, and put a little more pressure on the tip of the nail than I did at the back, so as to provide a bit of taper. I kept working it and measuring it, until I had it where I wanted it. The tip was .188, the back (by where the score mark is) was .204 inches. .016 taper over about 3/4 of an inch. That should wedge in nicely. Here is the plug, before I drove it into the cam.

I slid the plug into the hole in the cam, and pushed in on it and wiggled a bit. It only wiggled a couple of times before snugging up. This tells me I have a plug that will wedge nicely. I gave it a few firm but not hard taps with a brass hammer, until I felt it stop. Here is what it looked like before snapping off the "handle".

Now is the moment of truth: Did I score it deeply enough? Will it snap, or will it still move in the hole? One firm press downward, and it snapped off cleanly. Using a drift punch with about a 1/4 inch end, I gave it one tap, just to make sure I didn't feel any movement. Solid as a rock. Here is the plug, firmly seated in it's new home:

Once I had the plug seated firmly in it's place, it was time to seal the hole in the cover. I applied a little ultra black to the threads(probably overkill) of a 1/4 inch pipe plug, and threaded it in to the hole in the cover. I got the threads just a little off square with the surface of the cover when I threaded it earlier, but it still threaded in nicely, and has no leaks.

Again, I'm not saying this is the "right" way to do this repair, but I have absolutely no doubts that it will hold up to the test of time. Altogether, I would guess it took me about 2 hours, Including digging through my junk to find a suitable plug stock. It's kinda hard to say, since I didn't really keep track, and I had already taken the tractor apart some, having already started doing it the hard way first.

Ya'll let me know what you think. If I did great, then great, but I can take criticism, too. I promise you you won't hurt my feelings.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Great option to a lengthy repair. Had I been smart enough to think of this I would have added a small amount of permanent Loctite to the plug.

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
Thanks guys! No, no Loctite or anything on the plug. If I'd have thought about it, I probably would have. That being said, as firm as that plug is in the hole, I sincerely doubt it's going anywhere. As I was driving it in, I definitely felt a firm wedge when it stopped.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Most likely it will work just like you made it. I always thought of Loctite more of a "extra" than the actual solution.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
I just wish I could figure out how to get the pics to show directly in the post
This is how I do it................

and thanks for the info

Hope this helps ( my mouse died mid post and I grabbed the kids wireless
it is so jumpy I sped through this post ) :p

Attachments

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
Thanks Bill, Worked like a charm!! After the first one, I realized that the line of instruction for displaying the image was exctly like the one for displaying the link, except it said "IMG" instead of "url" I just went through my post and changed all the "url" instructions to "IMG".

Thanks again!!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ya'll let me know what you think. If I did great, then great, but I can take criticism, too. I promise you you won't hurt my feelings.
Nicely done. My first thought was you have balls drilling into the cover on the assumption that the semi-circle is centered on the camshaft, but then again, if it wasn't there you would just be back to removing the cover which you would have had to do otherwise anyway. So low risk for big reward.

I have used bearing grease to retain chips myself. Usually in the context of repairing stripped spark plug threads in aluminium heads. It's not something you will ever find in a factory repair manual, but it works.

I have also used my drill press as a lathe (and with the addition of a a cross-slide vise, a mill). Slow, frustrating and imprecise compared to the real things! If you like to tinker this way, seriously consider expanding your capabilities with a small lathe and eventually a mill. (Or one of the better 3-in-1 machines if space is tight).

And finally, I would have used some red locktite on that sucker. How much space is there between the camshaft and the cover compared to the length of your plug? If the camshaft plug comes loose, is it going to hit the end of the pipe plug and stay or fall down into the pan?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was thinking like Torch, you could weld a short shaft on the end of your pipe plug so it just clears the fabricated pin/plug when inserted. Then if it came lose you would notice low oil pressure, or light on. You could then remove the pipe plug, fetch the one you made and fix as desired.

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
Torch and D2, I did think about clearance, but hadn't thought of that plug catching the pin if it comes out. Great thought on your part! Yet another benefit of this method. I'm pretty sure the plug is close enough to catch the pin if it falls out. There's only about 1/4 of an inch between the plug and the cam. I guess there's room for it to fall out, but it would have to make quite the flip. I may go ahead and tap it a little deeper, so the plug can go in further, and close that gap. I'll take some more precise measurements and see what I can do. I'll post my findings.

Torch, you'll also notice the cross-slide vise in one of the pics. I have used that combination as a poor man's milling machine on more than one occasion. You do have to go pretty slow to prevent chatter, but it works. My drill press is a pretty low quality one, so it's even worse. In a real pinch, I have used a cordless drill in my bench vise as a makeshift lathe, too. I'd love to have a 3 in one, but that's a purchase I'd have to justify to myself, and I just don't get a lot of time to tinker.

Thanks, Guys!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My drill press is a pretty low quality one, so it's even worse. In a real pinch, I have used a cordless drill in my bench vise as a makeshift lathe, too. I'd love to have a 3 in one, but that's a purchase I'd have to justify to myself, and I just don't get a lot of time to tinker.
No drill press is designed to take a side-load. That's what milling machines are for! Anyway, I sympathize with your dilemma, I went for many, many years without, there were always more critical financial demands until the kids grew up and moved out. BTW: the machinery is only half the cost -- then you have to add tooling and metrology! But I love the capability a small home machine shop provides. For example, one could make an extended 1/4" pipe plug, bored to accept and contain a dislodged camshaft plug...

Anyway, I've wandered far enough off-topic so I'll shut up now. Good job on the repair! I'll keep your technique in mind if I ever lose oil pressure on my B7100.

speedy5966

Equipment
B7100
Aug 20, 2013
Azle, TX
One other thing that I forgot to mention in my last reply. I had actually searched and found pics of the engine without the cover on, so I knew that I was at least in the right area for the cam. I just wasn't sure if I would hit the center of the cam or not. And ya, I realize I'm expecting more of my drill press than it's designed to give me, but as we've both kinda said, it works when you don't have the right machine. Thanks again, and happy tinkering!

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Great idea executed with practical cleverness - perfect ! Dick B

Pierrecnwl

Equipment
Kubota b7001
May 26, 2023
Quebec
Hello All! Well, I've gotten a ton of help from this site, so I figured it was about time I returned the favor.

Disclaimer: I am by no means telling anyone that this is the way they should do their repair. If you choose to do this, you do so at your own risk. I am simply sharing my experience, and offering another way you MAY want to repair your issue. OK, with that out of the way...

My B7100 developed the dreaded "cam plug fell out, low oil pressure" problem. After reading several guides on it, I really didn't want to tear the tractor that far down just to get the front cover off, and figured that there must be an easier way. Some of you may consider this blasphemy and would never do it in a million years, but I have done similar procedures countless times in the past, and never had a problem. Yes, I drilled a hole in the front cover, and accessed it that way. I tapped it for a 1/4 pipe thread, and plugged it with a pipe plug. I did the same type of thing on my 2001 Z06 Corvette for an oil return line, and that was over 100K miles ago. No issues and still running strong. If this is not your thing, so be it. No problem from my end, and I would never try to convince you to try it my way. If you want to do your repair in a couple of hours instead of a day or two, please read on...

OK, first things first. When you drill holes into any sort of material, you are obviously going to get shavings. You do not want these shavings running through your engine, as they can cause serious, even catastrophic damage. You cannot avoid making shavings, but if you are careful, and methodical, you can control where they go, or more importantly, where they DON'T go. Start with a clean surface. I cleaned mine by spraying on a little engine cleaner, and wiping it off with a rag. Whenever I have to drill a hole in a part that is still on the engine(or whatever I'm working on), I ALWAYS have a helper holding a vacuum hose under, and as close as possible, to the work. I also ALWAYS coat the end of the drill bit with the heaviest grease I can find. Not differential lube, like 80W90, or 90W120, but grease, like you use on your suspension. I always use my cordless 3 speed, on low gear, and go very slowly. This helps prevent the shavings from flying all over; they stay on the bit, as does the grease. I always start with a small bit, and work my up in steps, vacuuming and wiping clean the work surface after EACH AND EVERY step. Additionally, I ALWAYS flush the inside of the work area with engine flush. The engine flush I'm talking about is the kind intended to be added to your oil to flush out all the crud that builds up in an engine if the oil isn't changed often enough. (BTW, I have never, and would never, use this stuff in this manner. It's only going to cause leaks, and break up the crud just enough to get it flowing through your engine) I also ALWAYS add fresh oil and a new filter after the job, start and run the engine for 10 minutes, then drain it, checking for any metal particles. I then add fresh oil and another new filter.

OK, so here goes. I didn't think to start taking pictures of this until I already had the hole drilled, so I'll just try to be as descriptive as possible. To locate where to drill the hole, I looked at the part of the front cover that goes over the cam gear, and noticed that it formed part of a circle, a little more than half a circle, in fact. I determined where the widest section of that part of it was. and made marks on the cover, one mark on each side. (you can see the marks in one of the pictures below. This then, marks the center of that part circle, in one direction at least. Now, I measured the diameter of that circle, and divided by two, then measured that far in from one side to find the dead center of the circle. Using a very light tap with a sharp center punch, I marked the point to start drilling. I coated the tip of the bit with a big glob of grease, had my helper hold the vacuum hose in place, and began drilling. I started with a 3/16 bit, and gradually worked my way up, about 1/8 of an inch at a time. Slow speed, lots of grease and vacuum, and move slowly up in bit sizes, stopping at a 15/32ths bit. Same with the tap, slow and easy, lots of grease and vacuum.
Here is where the pictures start. Here is the hole, after being tapped. I did miss the center of the cam by just a smidge, but was still able to get done what I needed.

Next is the plug. I wanted to use steel, so that the expansion and contraction rates would be the same as the cam. First, I kept trying different sized drill bits, until I found one that fit very snugly into the hole in the cam. I measured it, and found it to be .191 inches. To make the plug, I used a 1/4 inch nail that I had left over from a project. From experience, I knew they were fairly brittle, and would break without bending a lot. Similar to the steel in a cam, and exactly what I needed in order to be able to snap it off, once in place in the hole in the cam. I don't have a lathe, so I cut off the head and the point, then mounted it in my drill press. I turned on the drill press, and used a 3 cornered file to score it about half way through, so it would break off where I wanted it to. I kept the file moving against the rotation of the nail, and just kept steady even pressure, making slow passes. Next, I had to turn down the diameter to fit the hole in the cam. I again turned on the drill press, and used a fine cut file, and put a little more pressure on the tip of the nail than I did at the back, so as to provide a bit of taper. I kept working it and measuring it, until I had it where I wanted it. The tip was .188, the back (by where the score mark is) was .204 inches. .016 taper over about 3/4 of an inch. That should wedge in nicely. Here is the plug, before I drove it into the cam.

I slid the plug into the hole in the cam, and pushed in on it and wiggled a bit. It only wiggled a couple of times before snugging up. This tells me I have a plug that will wedge nicely. I gave it a few firm but not hard taps with a brass hammer, until I felt it stop. Here is what it looked like before snapping off the "handle".

Now is the moment of truth: Did I score it deeply enough? Will it snap, or will it still move in the hole? One firm press downward, and it snapped off cleanly. Using a drift punch with about a 1/4 inch end, I gave it one tap, just to make sure I didn't feel any movement. Solid as a rock. Here is the plug, firmly seated in it's new home:

Once I had the plug seated firmly in it's place, it was time to seal the hole in the cover. I applied a little ultra black to the threads(probably overkill) of a 1/4 inch pipe plug, and threaded it in to the hole in the cover. I got the threads just a little off square with the surface of the cover when I threaded it earlier, but it still threaded in nicely, and has no leaks.

Again, I'm not saying this is the "right" way to do this repair, but I have absolutely no doubts that it will hold up to the test of time. Altogether, I would guess it took me about 2 hours, Including digging through my junk to find a suitable plug stock. It's kinda hard to say, since I didn't really keep track, and I had already taken the tractor apart some, having already started doing it the hard way first.

Good afternoon. I like your fix. More than likely i will take that way. Is there un plug on both side of the cam shaft or just need the front one?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Some cams do have plugs on both ends, but yours does not.
Disassembly and removal of the gear case is better bet than drilling a case and hoping everything goes right.