DPF operating hints: calling all owners of new tractors

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I also noticed two things - Kubotas are happy running hot, and when we do run hot we get passive regeneration. It'll be different for every one of us. My wife drives my truck and mileage changes significantly. She's a rabbit and I'm a hypermiler. I can't imagine it any different with our tractors. Thanks Sheepfarmer for putting this out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
After reading lots of posts where people were not sure what was involved in managing a new Tier IV tractor outfitted with the emissions reduction equipment, and remembering that I had a lot of trouble making sense out of the directions in the operator's manual, I started a thread (see sticky in Tractor Operating). But a short form of the information to get a brand new user started is still needed. Most of us are so excited when our new tractors are delivered we don't remember half of what the dealer or tech tells us.

So I wrote up what I thought a brand new L60 user would need to know to get started, since that is the model I have and am familiar with.

PDF file

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26071&stc=1&d=1482086177

Here's where I need help:

1. Where is this writeup not clear? Additions? Subtractions? Any other user tips?

2. Would L60 users with 2016 models please check their manuals to see if the page references are correct and if there have been significant changes in the directions since my 2013 manuals were written?

3. We (us OTT users) could expand this info to the other models like the L01 series, and the B3350 if those of you that are successfully using them could post your user hints, directions or even send me by PM copies of the relevant pages from your manuals. Kubota has copyright restrictions on their manuals so those pages should not be posted verbatim, but single use copies can be made. I would be willing to assemble that info and post for editing. NIW has said that he would then ask Mr K if it could be added to the articles section. I know I am asking a lot, but it is an investment in the future of these tractors. If they can be used successfully they will keep the high resale value that Kubotas are known for :D

Thanks!

Write up is very clear. Another tip might be to discuss the intellipanel and how it works. How you change things in it, etc. does anyone think it would help to provide a YouTube video? I write all the music for Midwest Whitetail and Cabela's Spring Thunder (now Spring Thunder TV) and also film for them, so I have the gear to make some easy to watch videos.

As for page references, mine is a 2016 (4 hours old!)
Page 20 about the DPF is correct.
Page 59 (not 58) is Intellipanel display information
Page 22 is Auto Regen operations
Page 24 is Regen Inhibit operations
Page 26 is Parked Regen

Minor details but I know you wanted to know!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Great! Thank you for checking the page references, is there a date on your manual? and yes it would be good to explain the functions shown in the Intellipanel better. I have no expertise in video, the written word is my skill, but there is a whole subset of learners that learn by hearing better. (Used to be a teacher in my previous life :)).

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I used to be a musician! 2014 on the manual. I'll get the cameras out tomorrow. Here's an example of what I did for my buddy for turkey season this year; just edited last week! https://youtu.be/SKUGh8zeUXE

I'm going to the farm so I'll grab a camera and see what I can do!

Rigger Dave

Equipment
L3301
Nov 11, 2016
Camden, NC
Just had my first regen today. 44 hours. Was mowing at the time so almost didn't notice. Other than the smell no change in operation.

Dave

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I used to be a musician! 2014 on the manual. I'll get the cameras out tomorrow. Here's an example of what I did for my buddy for turkey season this year; just edited last week! https://youtu.be/SKUGh8zeUXE

I'm going to the farm so I'll grab a camera and see what I can do!

Great! Nice camera shots and music on your video. What was the b!ue bird?

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Mountain bluebird! How we have them in indiana is beyond me. We had storms this eve so I'll hit filming this weekend. Anyone who has ideas about videos they'd like to see on the Orange Tractors let me know! I'll start with DPF to stay consistent with the thread!

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I wish they had a "LIKE" button on this site. So much good information, I would like to show appreciation for the effort put forth by those posting without going thru the reply process. By the way, I have had my L3560 for 3 years now and have almost 300 hrs on it and have gone thru regen. 3 times and about to go into it again. The first one I went thru was a learning experience, but since then, I just take the "Auto Advance" off and use the manual throttle on max and keep working. Works just fine. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the regen. button can be wired to come on when you start the tractor like the new ones do?

Last edited:

m7060

Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2014
london, ky
I thought they already changed that. My MX has the DPF inhibit instead of the auto regen button, and I thought the first ones had the auto regen button.

I'd like to see an option to start a regen once the dpf gets to a certain percentage, instead of having to wait for it. Then you can plan to do something like mowing and start it instead of having to wait until it wants to start when you're doing something where you don't need/want the higher rpms. I don't have the screen that tells me the percentage but I'd like a light in the dash that lets me know a regen will happen soon.
I HAVE A '14 m7060. A percentage screen would be a great feature. Why they have it on some models and not others doesn't make sense.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I HAVE A '14 m7060. A percentage screen would be a great feature. Why they have it on some models and not others doesn't make sense.
Does your model have the Intellipanel? Do you have a button on the left that says Display Mode? It is covered with soft vinyl and is under 3 regular buttons? Press it and see if the display changes. Scroll through and one might be graph. Compare with the pics in the pdf for the L tractors just in case you actually have it. If no Intellipanel, maybe no hope. But I agree should be on all models.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am not sure how different the M 60 tractors are from the L's. I do not have access to an owner's manual or shop manual, and more regrettably haven't run one. If someone with an M would read through it and comment, that would help us out. I think the principles apply, but the pdf I wrote is intended to help a new owner get started onthe owner's manual which is confusing.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That is a generous offer, but the Kubota manuals are copyrighted.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
There are millions of trucks on the road using this technology. "I had my first regen" is a non event. Sort of like a teenagers first kiss, interesting to you but not us.
Do the new DPF tractors go into "Limp Mode" similar to the big rigs when you ignore the regen too long and forces you to get towed back to the dealership so they can charge you $500 to reset a dealer only computer switch and manually do the regen for you?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Do the new DPF tractors go into "Limp Mode" similar to the big rigs when you ignore the regen too long and forces you to get towed back to the dealership so they can charge you $500 to reset a dealer only computer switch and manually do the regen for you?

Yes, some do, and further ignoring will lead to it shutting down. Most will regen while working automatically if the temp and rpms are adequate.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Post 1 has been updated to include a pdf for the L01 series and a couple of other edits. Thank you to all who have contributed great info to this thread. Keep those hints and comments for new users coming. Every so often someone gets a new tractor and it was delivered without regen instructions.