Does my new L3560 have an Over-Running Clutch??

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
Does it have a Built in Over Run Clutch?? Cant tell by turning the shaft since it's electronic... Anyone Know?? Thanks :)

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
Okay, With the independent PTO if I'm Bush hogging at 2500 rpm and suddenly chop the throttle, is the inertia of the mower powering the tractor? or is that source of power relieved somewhere?? I've had an 8N, Golden Jubilee and a Massey Diesel that certainly needed the clutch (and I added it). just wondering if this new tractor has something similar built in, Or would it be worth while to install one. Thanks Again..

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a 3560 with the HST, and nothing happens when you take your foot off the throttle, the tractor stops and the pto keeps chugging along at 540. But I can't tell you how it works, sorry! :eek:

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
Mine has a clutch (Non HST), I'm just curious whether when running at 540 and suddenly slowing if the inertia went to the gear box via the output shaft. if so I believe adding a clutch would be justified. if it already has protection in place then ( I just wasted $75) :) Lol

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fastdonzi,
No you don't need an overrunning clutch.
Your PTO is driven directly by the motor and not via the mechanical clutch.
Your not going to overdrive the tractor via the PTO. ;)

Yes you wasted $75, and you could even cause damage to the PTO system from it's use.
They are not always balanced well enough for newer systems, and can cause damage to hydraulic clutch packs.

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
Fastdonzi,
No you don't need an overrunning clutch.
Your PTO is driven directly by the motor and not via the mechanical clutch.
Your not going to overdrive the tractor via the PTO. ;)

Yes you wasted $75, and you could even cause damage to the PTO system from it's use.
They are not always balanced well enough for newer systems, and can cause damage to hydraulic clutch packs.
Tks, one of the reasons I bought it was to make up about 4"-6" in length. the driveshaft on the Bush Hog seemed too close to max length and I was concerned about it coming apart. this allowed me to slip it back in.. I can buy a shaft adapter and get the same length back... :)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What Wolfman said, reread the links I posted. Your tractor has a PTO brake to absorb the energy of the slowing blade. I never "chop" my throttle though I use to, I decrease engine speed before disengaging my PTO. There is a length thread n this on TBN.

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
What Wolfman said, reread the links I posted. Your tractor has a PTO brake to absorb the energy of the slowing blade. I never "chop" my throttle though I use to, I decrease engine speed before disengaging my PTO. There is a length thread n this on TBN.
My wife does 75% of the Bush Hogging ( Pasture Mowing) and I want to be sure everything is GTG Safely (for her and my new tractor :) ) before spring.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the PTO shaft is too short, don't add an extension, replace the shaft.
While costly, it's a lot better on the PTO system, as extenders and adapters add slop to the PTO shaft causing unwanted vibrations.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My wife does 75% of the Bush Hogging ( Pasture Mowing) and I want to be sure everything is GTG Safely (for her and my new tractor :) ) before spring.
I don't blame you, but there is nothing to worry about with your 3560.

We have a Ford Jubilee also and had to put an external over running clutch, no need on the new tractors.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If you are going to get another pto shaft, take your wife with you when you go shopping for it and make sure it is comfortably easy for her to push in the button to attach the shaft to the pto on the tractor. Some brands are easier to connect than others, are more thumb friendly, which helps since the hood over the pto makes it hard to see what you're doing on the 3560. :D