Does Ballast Help With No Power Steering and FEL

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
I will soon be taking ownership of my fathers B7300. Its in near new condition with less than 100 hours on it. I'd like to put a front end loader on it but with no power steering, it will be a beast to handle in some situations. The obvious choice is to trade it for a new model with power steering but its my fathers pride and joy. I couldn't possibly get rid of it. I'm thinking a counter weight on the 3PT would lighten the load on the front wheels and make it easier to steer...but I don't know for sure. As much as I want nd need an FEL, I don't want to waste money on something that will be frustrating. Any opinions on that would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
While ballast with a FEL is recommended, it's still not going to make up for no power steering, being that it's 4wd it would be just workable, but not very nice to operate. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The only thing I ever did with the 1950 Ford 8n was loader work, handling manure. It did not have power steering, and I remember being able to steer with one hand and work the loader valves with the other, and I am not very strong. What I do remember is getting sore leg muscles from the stiff spring in the clutch and from standing on the brakes to get it stopped :eek: if I used it all day.

I am glad to have power steering, but the old Ford was useable with a very heavy loader and no ballast. I suspect the balance may have had something to do with the way the loader was attached.

I think you will be fine.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
K.P. this strikes me a humorous, "I don't want to waste money on something that will be frustrating."

Your father has a tractor you will be receiving. You didn't say if he's giving it to you as a gift or you're purchasing it. But how much money do you think a counter weight/ballast will cost?

I have a B8200 that came w/o power steering. I added a loader two years latter. A few years after that I added power steering.

What it really boils down to is how "spoiled" are you? If you never had AC, then you never miss it. After you have it, you are quite sure life is not very good without it! Same for all the other things we own that make life easier.

If you ever took a gravel shovel and scooped up 30 scoops of dirt to put in your PU...using a loader w/o power steering is duck soup!!

It builds shoulders, forearms, back muscles and an appetite. How could you go wrong?

Reactions: 1 user

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
Thanks for the responses. The tractor is free with snow blower and I know a ballast box is +/- $250 but the FEL will be around $4,000 with tax installed. There used to be an aftermarket power steering unit made specifically for it but doesn't look like that's available anymore. I've driven loaders when I was younger with no PS and I don't recall it being a big deal. However, recently I borrowed a neighbors older L series with FEL and no PS or 4WD and it was a bear just moving mulch. The front end felt incredibly heavy with no ballast what so ever. No doubt it was still much easier than it would have been by hand though. So maybe that is the proper perspective. I already have a G Series with PS for mowing so its not like I need maneuverability for that.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Yes to your question. All weight you add behind the rear axle will lighten the front axle load so it will make steering easier. I also had a 8n with a loader and homemade a bar for the 3pt hitch which carried 8-100lbs tractor weights.