Does anyone have a hip replacement?

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
GF's dad has to have both knees done

he's 77.

This surgery at 77 years old isn't gonna be an easy one; especially considering that he's mostly a sit-around-the-house type person. Rarely gets any exercise now, so how's he gonna do the exercise afterwards? He won't.

In his case because of his age and his refusal to exercise, he's probably better off not doing it and just living out his days sitting on the recliner watching football and basketball.
I need both knees replaced. In his defense I find it hard just getting around never mind exercising. A few hours just doing house chores in the am and my knees are killing me. Stiffness sets in and range of motion is limited! Im getting mine done next year because im only 61 and I have lots of things to do in my retirement! Maybe after his replacement he may get back to what he is missing out on? Good luck to him.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
GF's dad has to have both knees done

he's 77.

This surgery at 77 years old isn't gonna be an easy one...
I hope it goes well for him. Reading the post I thought, I get what Lugbolts is saying, since the guy is pretty old.

Then I remembered I will be 76 in February! :oops:

Fortunately so far no joint issues.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I got the call today that I am scheduled for Monday morning, and they will be keeping me in the hospital for a day or two after surgery. Then I will either be released to go home or to rehab. I most likely won't be on the computer for a few days to a week, so try to keep the discussions going without me. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and encouragement. Dusty

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Best of luck Dusty! Prayers sent!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I got the call today that I am scheduled for Monday morning, and they will be keeping me in the hospital for a day or two after surgery. Then I will either be released to go home or to rehab. I most likely won't be on the computer for a few days to a week, so try to keep the discussions going without me. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and encouragement. Dusty
What are you getting a refurbished unit? Two days after surgery must be needed to make sure it stays together! ;) ;) ;)

The surgery takes less than an hour and you're in recovery. Sometimes they boot you out without staying overnight, but they need to be sure you're doing OK as you come off the meds.

Being praying for you partner.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
You also need to use common sense with the whole ordeal, including dr’s orders.

My 82yo lawnmower pushing mother had a hip done last January. All went well but she was told to leave the dressing on for six weeks and it would be removed at her follow up visit by the doctor. The dressing started to get waterlogged after about three weeks from showering. Home health nurse wanted to change it, ”no way!” My wife who is a retired RN saw it and wanted to change it, “no way!… the doctor said six weeks.“ After much dead ended arguing, needless to say it got infected. It had to be opened up again, cleaned out, and six weeks of antibiotic therapy in a rehab nursing home.

To make a long story short, by mid summer she was back up on her Home Depot “safety ladder“ cleaning the inside of her porch ceiling with her bucket of ammonia water.

Sometimes you just can’t find a brick wall strong enough to bash your head off.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I survived the surgery, but it was more complicated than I originally thought. They kicked me out of the hospital on Wednesday evening, and I went to rehab, where I remain, slowly making progress. Today they told me that I am going home on Friday and I can't wait. I am getting around with the walker, but I am still having lots of pain, and to top it off, I have a tape burn that is being treated. I just got a laptop this evening, but I am too tired to read all the posts from the past 10 days. Hope to get caught up when I get home. Dusty

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I survived the surgery, but it was more complicated than I originally thought. They kicked me out of the hospital on Wednesday evening, and I went to rehab, where I remain, slowly making progress. Today they told me that I am going home on Friday and I can't wait. I am getting around with the walker, but I am still having lots of pain, and to top it off, I have a tape burn that is being treated. I just got a laptop this evening, but I am too tired to read all the posts from the past 10 days. Hope to get caught up when I get home. Dusty
Sorry to hear progress is slow. I imagine home will look good. Re: tape burn, if you mean what I think, I wish they would get some other kind of tape. They ripped a patch of skin off me the last time I was in the hospital while removing a tube. Any other tape pieces left I waited weeks to remove. There has got to be a solvent for that adhesive (preferably non toxic).

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
On physical therapy:
Never had a hip replaced, but I had a serious rotator cuff injury years ago, just short of requiring surgery.
Doc wanted to try PT first, and sent me to a therapist that he said I would grow to hate.
She was about my age, good looking, and a sadist.
If I could do an exercise with a 3lb weight, she had me use a 5lb; if I could use a 5lb, she had me use an 8lb.
If I could do 10 reps, she had me do 12: If I could use 80% range of motion, she pushed me for 85%.
Being me, I tried to always do one more rep than she asked for, or use a heavier weight.
I spent most of my time there with tears in my eyes.
It took 3 months, twice a week, but my shoulder got better, & I've never had any trouble with it since.
It has been more than 20 years, & that shoulder is probably the only joint I don't have trouble with.

At the end of therapy, as I was leaving, she gave me a passionate hug & kiss that was far beyond a normal "Goodbye".
Being married, I only briefly entertained pursuing the possibilities further, and often wondered if she would be as demanding and hard to please in other things.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Dusty, it looks like I missed your hip surgery while I was having an emergency appendectomy and mine was nothing compared with yours. I am dealing with some unknown/diagnosed hip pain that does not appear to be in the hip joint. Time will tell.

Anyway I wish you continual recovery and sanity during this time of healing. Doing nothing is hard work. :rolleyes:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I got pardoned a day early since there is a big snowstorm predicted for tonight. Got home around 4 PM and when my wife removed my anti-embolism stockings my entire foot has turned black and blue. A quick call to the surgeon told me that it isn't unheard of, and a that it can happen to a few people. I guess that I am one of the lucky ones. If I was a Kubota I would blame my parents for using outdated and defective parts. The one thing in the rehab facility, they controlled my pair well. Now I have to control it myself, and I am not certain when enough is enough, and not too much. I am just going to work through it over the weekend and hope for the best. Dusty

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just thought that I would give you an update. I am not very happy with my hip replacement. I had less pain before than I do now 5 weeks later. Now the knee is also giving me problems. I can't get any additional pain meds, and last week my surgeon prescribed a pain med for me, and when I checked with my pulmonary doctor, he said that I will only get to take it once because it will most likely kill me in my sleep. I have been alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 4 hours around the clock, and it gives me some relief, but not much. I just hope that I don't have to go for a knee replacement, but it doesn't look good.

Hip Replacement.jpg

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just thought that I would give you an update. I am not very happy with my hip replacement. I had less pain before than I do now 5 weeks later. Now the knee is also giving me problems. I can't get any additional pain meds, and last week my surgeon prescribed a pain med for me, and when I checked with my pulmonary doctor, he said that I will only get to take it once because it will most likely kill me in my sleep. I have been alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 4 hours around the clock, and it gives me some relief, but not much. I just hope that I don't have to go for a knee replacement, but it doesn't look good.

View attachment 96214
Check with your doctor, but ours said it is OK to take tylenol and ibuprofen together, and my wife does sometime for a chronic ear pain issue she has. 500 MG tylenol and 400 MG ibuprofen together in her case. Might help, might not. Don't know...

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have given up on Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and have moved on to Aleve. It seems to work better for me. My problem is that there are so many medications that I can't take because of other issues.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have given up on Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and have moved on to Aleve. It seems to work better for me. My problem is that there are so many medications that I can't take because of other issues.
Glad to hear that you are getting some relief...

By the way, I have also noticed that for me Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn) seems to work better than other over the counter medications for an occasional issue that I have that I attribute to gout, but don't really know the cause, other than historically my uric acid lever is always high, which points at a possible gout issue. I guess the message is try different medications and use the one that works best for you.

Last edited: