Dodge diesel

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guys does anyone know anything about the new dodge diesel trucks, the ones stating 28mpg in a half ton? Baby daughter has a 1 ton and out on the left coast she is getting 20 not pulling the horse trailer ( 4 horse slant load ) pulling it drops to like 14. I stopped at the local dodge dealer and the supposed truck salesman looked at my like I had 2 heads when I asked about it. Now that don't impress me much!! So anybody know anything, and Im not looking to bash anybody else's ride so please dont

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Couple of my friends have them and say they run good. I drive a 2005 with the 5.9 and get all my technical info at a forum called turbodieselregister.com. Nothing but Dodge diesels. Check their section on the new 1/2 ton pickup.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Buddy of mine has one of the new smallblock (4 or six cylinder) and he loves it.

Not to bash anyone's favorites... I don't own any brand so I don't have a dog in this fight -BUT...

A buddy has a Dodge 1/2 ton he uses for construction. Its a 2006 or so. I hopped in one day and the ride was awesome. I am thinking this must have just a few mi on it. I look over and its got 103,000 on the clock.

Evidently, when Mercedes bought Chrysler, they were pretty upset with the truck line. A whole bunch of $$ and engineering went into the Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep products. Even though Mercedes is gone now, the benefits of that union will pay off for years. As I said, I am not in the market for a full-sized pick up but, if i were, I would look pretty hard at the Dodge/Chrysler line. It ain't even related to their products from the 70 and 80s. Same with Jeep. A buddy just bought the top of the line Overland and it rides and drives like a Mercedes SUV. The interior is stunning.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The 1500 diesel was in service in the Jeep Grand Cherokee the model year before. I'd give these new vehicles about 2 years before buying one new. It takes most manufacturers about that amount of time to work the bugs out of them, kind of like computer products... LOL! :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
True, but with putters they is obsolete before you getem home and outa da box,,,lol

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
;)
Guys does anyone know anything about the new dodge diesel trucks, the ones stating 28mpg in a half ton? Baby daughter has a 1 ton and out on the left coast she is getting 20 not pulling the horse trailer ( 4 horse slant load ) pulling it drops to like 14. I stopped at the local dodge dealer and the supposed truck salesman looked at my like I had 2 heads when I asked about it. Now that don't impress me much!! So anybody know anything, and Im not looking to bash anybody else's ride so please dont

Sounds like typical dumb sales guy. :eek:

Here is what he don't know http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

Dodge/Chrysler seems to be the first to go the diesel 1/2 ton route and I believe it is in part due to the Benz relation. That 3.0L engine looks IDENTICAL to the 3.0L in my R 320 Mercedes wagon. If I didn't know any better I would say it IS the Benz 3.0L diesel. That sure would be awesome to operate. If they are claiming 28mpg I know that would be right cuz that is what I get with my 3.0L diesel.

Pizzer that GM can't get off their duff fast enough for a speedy ramp up with diesel. I had to buy my Mercedes Benz because Cadillac did not get their diesel crossover out by this year as they projected they would. :mad: :mad: :mad: I have a Duramax and I love it but we wanted a diesel family vehicle and since GM didn't come through I didn't get a GM. :mad:

I am a GM guy trained in and love the product but they need some serious marketing kick in the pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drag butt do nothing to pioneer but sit back and only produce a guaranteed sale playing it toooooo safe. :mad: Well you know what they say about waiting............ "she who waits for the knight in shining armor usually picks up after his horse"......... and if GM keeps on waiting they will be in the same position with sales. :mad:

We plan on the next vehicle as a diesel too but if GM can't get something going I would have to look at the Dodge pickup. Especially if that 3.0L is a Benz engine then I would have two of them. :D I tell ya, we drove our diesel wagon packed full of people and luggage from St. Louis MO. to Atlanta GA. on a single tank and that included four construction delays on the way. Love this engine and the efficiency!!! Oh yea and by the way this car is a heavy all wheel drive too. ;)

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Ford stopped makeing the sport trac in 2010. That;s the small 4door truck. They have reemerged overseas as a ford ranger with a diesel engine. Rumor has it, it has been seen in the us all blacked out. I love my sport trac.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
;)

Dodge/Chrysler seems to be the first to go the diesel 1/2 ton route and I believe it is in part due to the Benz relation. That 3.0L engine looks IDENTICAL to the 3.0L in my R 320 Mercedes wagon. If I didn't know any better I would say it IS the Benz 3.0L diesel. That sure would be awesome to operate. If they are claiming 28mpg I know that would be right cuz that is what I get with my 3.0L

The Dodge motor is an Italian (Fiat) motor made by VMI. MB is Made by MB.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The Super Duty's 6.7 seems to be a decent motor. With 1,500 lbs in the bed it was getting 22 mpg.

Ford really stepped up building their own small diesel 6.7L. The pressed graphite block is the new technology that everyone will be using soon; that is the cats meow! Super strong and thermal shockload will not crack the block. In my training class we were told the test parameters on the graphite block. Run the engine to full temp, shut it off and flush a solution through the engine at 16° below 0°F, start the engine and repeat two more times. No cracks. Impressive. :)

It has had some valve failures that lunched engines but I think they are getting on top of that.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
;)

Dodge/Chrysler seems to be the first to go the diesel 1/2 ton route and I believe it is in part due to the Benz relation. That 3.0L engine looks IDENTICAL to the 3.0L in my R 320 Mercedes wagon. If I didn't know any better I would say it IS the Benz 3.0L diesel. That sure would be awesome to operate. If they are claiming 28mpg I know that would be right cuz that is what I get with my 3.0L

The Dodge motor is an Italian (Fiat) motor made by VMI. MB is Made by MB.
Well I guess now I know better. :cool:
I am amazed at just how much that engine looks like my MB and the 3.0L that is in the Sprinters and the MB van. :eek:
I don't know about Fiat diesels..... guess I might have to go VW on my next one. :(

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I see that Fiat diesel engine is VM Motori. After getting some more pics I can see the differences now. Plus I see the Itallian background to the build is gaining some big ground. Me thinks we could hear more about them in the future if they keep going like they are now.
Time will tell. :)

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Dodge first with diesel 1/2 trucks? I think not. There were scads of G.M 6.2 diesel 1/2 tons around in the 80's .
Oh, you mean now? My bad. Maybe the latest generation dodges are better, but you couldnt give me an '05 crew cab. Worst handling truck i ever drove. Mind you, i got to drive all three domestics on 100 mile gravel road trips on a frequent basis.
Crew cab gm' hold the road the best.

Interested to see how these new diesels work out. I do like the ford 6.7,but dpf isnt making it past 100,000 without needing work.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Dodge first with diesel 1/2 trucks? I think not. There were scads of G.M 6.2 diesel 1/2 tons around in the 80's .
Oh, you mean now? My bad. Maybe the latest generation dodges are better, but you couldnt give me an '05 crew cab. Worst handling truck i ever drove. Mind you, i got to drive all three domestics on 100 mile gravel road trips on a frequent basis.
Crew cab gm' hold the road the best.

Interested to see how these new diesels work out. I do like the ford 6.7,but dpf isnt making it past 100,000 without needing work.

That whole DPF mess is what I love about my LBZ Duramax..... I have all the current production goodies but NO DPF. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not a big fan of the dpf or def. Both are a pain. Had a couple of close calls getting pulled over due to the dpf coming off from regen and not realizing it. Ended up doing 15 over through a speed trap.

If you run out of the def, then you got a really slow ride till you can get some more. If you run out, it derates the motor. Frustrating if it's the middle of the night and the nearest store is 30 miles away

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got an '95 Chev 4X4 1/2 ton diesel. A few months ago I had it shut off while fueling. Guy comes over to me and says, "Do you know you're putting diesel in that truck?" "Yep, that's what's required in this engine."

The guy just stumbled off wanting me to get out of the way so he could get fuel for his truck.

200,000 + miles on it. Use it to move hay with elec/hydraulic stinger on back, Lincoln 200 amp welder and Hiniker snow in the winter. It earns it's keep and is very economical.