Diesel Fuel

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
Is the United States really going to run out of diesel in 25 days? Is it a hoax? Why isn’t it on the front page local news? Are they trying to avoid a panic?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Is the United States really going to run out of diesel in 25 days? Is it a hoax? Why isn’t it on the front page local news? Are they trying to avoid a panic?
NO....of course we are NOT going to run out of diesel in 25 days!
The intent of the report is to indicate that the US currently has only a 25 day diesel fuel inventory.
If for some unknown reason, suddenly no more diesel could be refined, the current supply would only last for 25 more days.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Several refineries which product large amounts of diesel have been shut down for scheduled maintenance and are expected to return on-line in the next few weeks (when the election is over) which will increase the number of days in storage and is expected to lower fuel prices.

Reactions: 1 user

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Another way to think of JIT delivery....

Your refrigerator has about 1 week of milk in it. (after that, it either runs out or goes bad)

As long as you keep buying milk weekly, your fridge will NEVER run out.

HOWEVER: If you skip buying milk one week.... you will run out of milk in your fridge.

JIT = Just In Time

---------------
Applying the above analogy to the report of 25 day supply.... as long as the supply remains the way it is, we will NEVER run out of diesel.

If the supply stops.... we have 25 days before there is a shortage.

Last edited:
  • Haha

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
So my fridge has 2 days of beer left?!?!
It's a bit more complicated than refineries being offline for scheduled maintenance. There is less distillate fuel production in the USA, global demand is up and exports out of the Gulf states are a quicker payback than pipelines to the north and west.
Actually, a lot more complicated than tht. Of all places, the Washington Post actually does a pretty good job explaining the birds eye view.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What's the outcome for you guys counting on your fridge to continue having power when the grid isn't providing power? A whole new bag of worms! ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Several refineries which product large amounts of diesel have been shut down for scheduled maintenance and are expected to return on-line in the next few weeks (when the election is over) which will increase the number of days in storage and is expected to lower fuel prices.
The majority of large production facilities such as refineries, power plants, paper mills, and similar will schedule an outage to provide needed maintenance that can't be done while the plant is in operation.

Some places have to do it annually, some less often depending on their circumstances.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
What's the outcome for you guys counting on your fridge to continue having power when the grid isn't providing power? A whole new bag of worms! ;)
My Amish neighbors might need to use more solar and quit using kerosene lamps.

• Haha

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I used to think I'd ride my horse to the grocery store if necessary, but he's getting old as am I. Don't have any horse drawn implements to make hay. Not much to eat for a horse in winter. The Amish have some advantages in today's world.

I have plenty of power from solar panels, but right now inverters are dependent on signal from grid. When I have some spare money need to upgrade system and add a battery. Then maybe a tiny little electric car to get a few places.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Please give the horse a nice juicy apple and tell him that the grumpy old guy on OTT suggested it. I am certain that he will appreciate it.

• Haha

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Please give the horse a nice juicy apple and tell him that the grumpy old guy on OTT suggested it. I am certain that he will appreciate it.
I will. The old guy is treated like royalty. He has a sinus infection which typically means a bad tooth with roots in maxillary sinus. Found an equine veterinary dentist who had stocks in a trailer, who doped him up good and pulled 4 teeth in two sessions. He is on lots of meds, soaked Triple crown senior pellets with grated carrot, the softest grass hay I can find, soaked. Blankets as needed so he can go out and graze....he's 27 and the kindest most honest horse you could want. 18 2 hands.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I used to think I'd ride my horse to the grocery store if necessary, but he's getting old as am I.
Probably not a bad idea to keep a horse around.

But the grocery store is a LONG way from my house.

And I don't know how many bags I can hang on my roping saddle.

Mr T.jpg