Diesel can fit

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Once you get that new tank you will really appreciate it. I keep mine in the bed of my pickup truck and refuel the tractor and the pickup from there.

I bought mine last May because I had two trips planned back east and the fuel cost savings from both of those trips paid for the cost of the fuel tank. Since Diesel in Washington State was anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 more per gallon than anywhere East of here I was able to my fuel stops where I could get the best price. I saved quite a bit of money by tracking the cost of fuel where I wanted to stop to refill.

The convenience of having enough fuel on hand to plan a refill when prices are better is a big plus for my budget. Also, the no muss/no fuss of being able to pump fuel with the convenience of a fuel nozzle exactly like the gas station makes the purchase well worth the while.
Are you able to get 58 gallons in your tank or perhaps more? The 106 gallon JohnDow I have takes about 106.5 gallons so I hope the new in bed tank holds the advertised 58 gallons. That's almost two tanks for my Ford which will increase my range to around 1,500 miles.

I've had the 106 gallon JohnDow for a few years but it's a palava taking it to the fuel station. Once the new tank is in the bed of the truck I can fill it up and then offload the fuel into the larger tank in the garage. I'd have to do that twice but it's an easy way to get fuel home.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Are you able to get 58 gallons in your tank or perhaps more? The 106 gallon JohnDow I have takes about 106.5 gallons so I hope the new in bed tank holds the advertised 58 gallons. That's almost two tanks for my Ford which will increase my range to around 1,500 miles.

I've had the 106 gallon JohnDow for a few years but it's a palava taking it to the fuel station. Once the new tank is in the bed of the truck I can fill it up and then offload the fuel into the larger tank in the garage. I'd have to do that twice but it's an easy way to get fuel home.
How much fuel you can get in the tank depends on how level the truck is. The first fill for me took a little over 55 gals. The most I ever got into it was roughly 57 gals, barely. That is close enough for me. I think that you can reasonably expect to fit 55+ gals at least.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Once you get that new tank you will really appreciate it. I keep mine in the bed of my pickup truck and refuel the tractor and the pickup from there.
Just got confirmation that the tank is shipping today and should be here on Tuesday the 20th. The tie downs in the bed are being used by the Decked system so I might need to get creative and add some more tie downs so that I can run a strap around the tank.

jdi_aft58lp.jpg

jdi_aft58lp_4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Just got confirmation that the tank is shipping today and should be here on Tuesday the 20th. The tie downs in the bed are being used by the Decked system so I might need to get creative and add some more tie downs so that I can run a strap around the tank.

View attachment 122483
What is the model number of that tank? If you have a link to it that would be great.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What is the model number of that tank? If you have a link to it that would be great.
Here's a link to JohnDow's website. I ordered from Summit Racing since they have by far the best price I've seen with an $80 discount (GORACE) and free shipping.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm with Fried...I don't use enough fuel a year to warrent storing any amount.
I think fresh fuel is better also.
I sit a towel on the hood and use a pump sufin kerosene pump, pump pump let it sufin the 5 gallons.

Skeets photo of the hand truck and tank reminded me of having my camper winterized years ago at a dealership.
They got $150. Bucks. This was when RV antifreeze was actually cheap.
The guy had a hand truck, mounted with a 15 gallon tank, a 12v pump, and battery. On the pump was a suction hose in the tank and 4' of garden hose that screwed onto the camper water hook up. He hooked up the hose, turned on the pump. It built up presser and shut off. The tech went inside opened each faucet and flushed the toilet...15 minutes at the most.
$150. When I got home. I ordered that little pump for $15. Bucks now that I was experienced in winterizing a camper never went back. But it was identical to Skeets setup.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I think fresh fuel is better also.
Treated diesel seems to store well, at least that's been my experience.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
What's old is new again :)
Here is the solution I came up with when I reached the "I don't want to lift those 5 gallon jugs onto the hood".

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What's old is new again :)
Here is the solution I came up with when I reached the "I don't want to lift those 5 gallon jugs onto the hood".
You did an awesome job with that 55 gallon drum. You didn't say anything about the 12V outlet that you plug your pump into. I want to know more about that.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have this 106 gallon JohnDow in the garage. I started to make a dolly for it but it's another project that I never completed. This spring for sure.

I really needed a fuel solution for when I'm away from my place with a tractor or two. That's where the second JohnDow 58 gallon bed mounted tank will prove to be useful, in addition to roadtrips of course.

jd_1.jpg

jd_3.jpg

jd_4.jpg

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
I was looking at these fuel tanks.
The only problem I see for me is that it is not DOT rated.
That will not affect most people. My truck is a company truck.
I recently got stopped by the DOT for a check on the shoulder of the highway because I had a trailer on the back of my F350 pick up. He said he stopped me because I didn't have a DOT number.
I don't want any more trouble.

Anyone know of a tank like this that is Dot rated.
I looked and couldn't find anything

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was looking at these fuel tanks.
The only problem I see for me is that it is not DOT rated.
That will not affect most people. My truck is a company truck.
I recently got stopped by the DOT for a check on the shoulder of the highway because I had a trailer on the back of my F350 pick up. He said he stopped me because I didn't have a DOT number.
I don't want any more trouble.

Anyone know of a tank like this that is Dot rated.
I looked and couldn't find anything
Maybe you can find a suitable container here. They state that their tanks are DOT approved.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
You did an awesome job with that 55 gallon drum. You didn't say anything about the 12V outlet that you plug your pump into. I want to know more about that.
Thanks!
Pretty straightforward install. I mounted a piece of strut on right above the hydraulic lines on the fel cross member:
1708274984348.jpeg

Then I bolted that small SS angle to it with a 20 amp rated socket. The wiring goes back to the pivot point of the fel, then to the tractor body and then back up to the battery. I have a fused connection on the positive side and the negative connects on top of the battery negative wire at the chassis.

The thought was I would add a connector at the pivot point so I could disconnect it there if I ever wanted to drop the fel. Yeah, it's been a couple of years - still no connector :)

I have a mating connector on the diesel pump and one on my battery tender.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks!
Pretty straightforward install. I mounted a piece of strut on right above the hydraulic lines on the fel cross member:
View attachment 122626

Then I bolted that small SS angle to it with a 20 amp rated socket. The wiring goes back to the pivot point of the fel, then to the tractor body and then back up to the battery. I have a fused connection on the positive side and the negative connects on top of the battery negative wire at the chassis.

The thought was I would add a connector at the pivot point so I could disconnect it there if I ever wanted to drop the fel. Yeah, it's been a couple of years - still no connector :)

I have a mating connector on the diesel pump and one on my battery tender.
Nice work! What was your thought process re installing the outlet on the loader rather than on the frame of the tractor beneath the battery? I have block heaters on both tractors, and with the loader attached it's a little bit awkward getting an extension cord connected so I can see the desire to have the outlet easily accessible.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Nice work! What was your thought process re installing the outlet on the loader rather than on the frame of the tractor beneath the battery? I have block heaters on both tractors, and with the loader attached it's a little bit awkward getting an extension cord connected so I can see the desire to have the outlet easily accessible.
It was mostly convenience On the other side of that strut I installed a bracket for 2 hydraulic hoses for the grapple. I have been toying with the idea of installing lights on that strut to clear the bucket. Another project that may never be. . .

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I picked up the JohnDow 58 gallon bed tank this morning. Miraculously there wasn't any damage to the tank during shipping. I'm very pleased with it, and although it would be easier to access without the Snug Top, I think the pros of the top outweigh the cons.

The bed of my truck was quite filthy so I stopped by the local gas station to hose out the back before getting the tank situated so there's water all over the place. I'll pick up a new ratchet strap to secure the tank this week, and then move the bar up and back towards the rear of the truck. That's there to stop stuff from sliding into the tank.

johndown_aft58lp_f250_2.jpg

johndown_aft58lp_f250.jpg

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I picked up the JohnDow 58 gallon bed tank this morning. Miraculously there wasn't any damage to the tank during shipping. I'm very pleased with it, and although it would be easier to access without the Snug Top, I think the pros of the top outweigh the cons.

The bed of my truck was quite filthy so I stopped by the local gas station to hose out the back before getting the tank situated so there's water all over the place. I'll pick up a new ratchet strap to secure the tank this week, and then move the bar up and back towards the rear of the truck. That's there to stop stuff from sliding into the tank.

View attachment 122810

View attachment 122811
That storage system that the tank is resting on appears to be plastic. The tank will be prone to sliding around on that surface. You may want to get a rubber mat to place the tank on. That will keep it from sliding around while driving. That and a strap around the tank securing it to the bulkhead of the truck bed will keep it secure.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That storage system that the tank is resting on appears to be plastic. The tank will be prone to sliding around on that surface. You may want to get a rubber mat to place the tank on. That will keep it from sliding around while driving. That and a strap around the tank securing it to the bulkhead of the truck bed will keep it secure.
Good call on the rubber mat. (y) I have a Decked drawer system that I really like, but as you say, that tank will want to slide on the hard plastic surface. I was just going to add a ratchet strap but I'll get a piece of rubber mat from Murdoch's or similar.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Good call on the rubber mat. (y) I have a Decked drawer system that I really like, but as you say, that tank will want to slide on the hard plastic surface. I was just going to add a ratchet strap but I'll get a piece of rubber mat from Murdoch's or similar.
This is the best I can do for a photo of my setup right now. I have a 40 gallon diesel transfer tank secured to the floor of the bed, up against the bulkhead. Then I have the 58 gallon tank also secured to the bulkhead with ratchet straps. All of that sitting on top of a full size rubber truck bed mat. Those tanks are not going anywhere.

20240221_135114.jpg

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
This is the best I can do for a photo of my setup right now. I have a 40 gallon diesel transfer tank secured to the floor of the bed, up against the bulkhead. Then I have the 58 gallon tank also secured to the bulkhead with ratchet straps. All of that sitting on top of a full size rubber truck bed mat. Those tanks are not going anywhere.

View attachment 122813
How do you like your Vevor 58 gallon fuel tank, accessories, handle, hoses etc?

Do you know if you can get pallet forks under it in both the short and long directions?

I had one of the JDI units in my Amazon wish list, but it’s pretty spendy (over a grand) and I see the Vevor is around $600.

I will say the low profile JDI 58 gallon tank looks pretty sexy, but it’s not real space efficient if head room isn't a primary concern.