Diesel can fit

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Some things are worth the cost of convenience, and when they reduce the chance of injury it's easier to justify the expense. I'll probably order a couple of those fuel caddys at some point and replace the six 5-gallon diesel containers I haul around in my truck. One transfer pump would be enough, and 50 gallons of fuel for road trips or off property tractor work would be good. I could load the 106 gallon John Dow tank onto a trailer but I simply don't need that much fuel with me.
Yep, I see your point. I buy cheaper off road diesel (dyed) so I would not be able to use that in my truck.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
IMG_9028.jpeg
This still works for me. Some day probably won’t and I’ll have to get some sort of fuel caddy type thing. For now, I’m not burning more than a 6 gallon can a day so it’s not worth doing anything more.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I rent a diesel storage tank from my fuel supplier - $100/year for a brand new double walled 500gal tank with electric pump and filter. Not worth screwing around juggling jerry cans, I would need two to fill my tank.
Perhaps you use 300 times more diesel each year than I do.
1/2 full cans are a good solution for my 20-30 gallon usage per (season) year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have a 35 gallon fuel caddy with a hose and hand crank pump. I insert the hose in the filler neck and stand on the floor and crank the pump. I turn the key on so I can watch the tank fill by looking at the gauge.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
View attachment 121015 This still works for me. Some day probably won’t and I’ll have to get some sort of fuel caddy type thing. For now, I’m not burning more than a 6 gallon can a day so it’s not worth doing anything more.
Open station tractors are easier to fill up compared to cab models. The cab gets in the way when trying to do what you show there. Mercifully the M6060 has a large fuel tank with easy access and a filler neck cap a little below waist height, so no need to raise a fuel container high at all when not using the auto shut off nozzle that's part of the John Dow system.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HB diesel pump and 15 gallon barrel,, takes less than a min to fill the B . Beats the snot out of climbing up on top of it.
DSCN0196.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Posted this somewhere before IIRC. My setup for many years was lifting and dumping 5 gallon cans and it wasn't too awful until moving to a larger tractor. Climbing up on the tire with a fuel can and trying not to fall off or scratch the hood made it more challenging. The current setup is three 55 gallon drums. One has a HF 12V pump that's powered through plugs on the tractors. There's a second pump for a spare plus transferring fuel between barrels so the one pump just stays put. The hose will reach beyond the shed so I can fill the other tractor or the generator by parking it close to the door. Local supplier is happy to deliver ORD for quantities over 100 gallons.

Attachments

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've been very impressed with the John Dow 106 gallon tank I bought a few years ago and I'm going to buy another carry tank ... eventually. This low profile model is new and it would be just about perfect in the bed of my truck. I won't ever need to use 5 gallon containers again, either at the house or when away from the house.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've decided that I'm done with 5 gallon containers and placed an order for a 58 gallon JohnDow Low Profile Diesel Carrytank (JDI-AFT58LP) over the weekend. Summit Racing has the lowest online price I could find and they have an $80 discount code running at the moment with free shipping.

I have a Decked system in the back of my F250 along with a hard top so this low profile tank was the best option for me. It should work well with the excellent 106 gallon JohnDow tank that I've had for a few years. Now I can fuel up tractors or my truck away from the house at a rate of 10 gallons/minute and won't have to deal with 5 gallon containers at fuel stations any more.

When I head out of town on a roadtrip I fill up six 5 gallon containers with diesel to take with me. The flow rate from those containers is miserably slow and it takes an eternity to get 30 gallons in the truck, one 5 gallon container at a time. It's not fun when it's -20F and windy so a 3-minute fill up is much more appealing.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I bought one of these. It holds 58 gallons of fuel and can be loaded/unloaded from my truck bed using pallet forks. This is the best purchase I have made for fuel handling, hands down!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought one of these. It holds 58 gallons of fuel and can be loaded/unloaded from my truck bed using pallet forks. This is the best purchase I have made for fuel handling, hands down!

That Vevor system is similar to the JohnDow but lists a 40gpm flow rate! Wow!

Digging a little deeper I think Amazon has the incorrect information re flow rate. Based on Vevor's website it looks like it's 10gpm which makes more sense.

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That Vevor system is similar to the JohnDow but lists a 40gpm flow rate! Wow!

I think that 40 GPM is a misprint. 10 GPM is more like what I have experienced. I think that should read 40 Liters Per Minute, which is 10 GPM.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I bought 55g drums for $15 a pop, then an electric fuel pump that screws into the bung with a 40" pickup. When my oil guy comes he fills the tanks for me with tax free diesel.

The only annoying part is screwing the pump setup into the drum, the whole thing has to spin, hose and all.

• Love

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought 55g drums for $15 a pop, then an electric fuel pump that screws into the bung with a 40" pickup. When my oil guy comes he fills the tanks for me with tax free diesel.

The only annoying part is screwing the pump setup into the drum, the whole thing has to spin, hose and all.

Perhaps you could add a swivel to the elbow at the top of the pump so that the hose doesn't have to spin with the pump.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Perhaps you could add a swivel to the elbow at the top of the pump so that the hose doesn't have to spin with the pump.
That could work. Also I saw someone added a quick disconnect to theirs, which I didn't know was a thing. I only have to do it 1-2x a year, and I haven't been annoyed by it enough to do anything yet. And I built the setup in 2017 according to my amazon purchase history.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I've decided that I'm done with 5 gallon containers and placed an order for a 58 gallon JohnDow Low Profile Diesel Carrytank (JDI-AFT58LP) over the weekend. Summit Racing has the lowest online price I could find and they have an $80 discount code running at the moment with free shipping.

I have a Decked system in the back of my F250 along with a hard top so this low profile tank was the best option for me. It should work well with the excellent 106 gallon JohnDow tank that I've had for a few years. Now I can fuel up tractors or my truck away from the house at a rate of 10 gallons/minute and won't have to deal with 5 gallon containers at fuel stations any more.

When I head out of town on a roadtrip I fill up six 5 gallon containers with diesel to take with me. The flow rate from those containers is miserably slow and it takes an eternity to get 30 gallons in the truck, one 5 gallon container at a time. It's not fun when it's -20F and windy so a 3-minute fill up is much more appealing.
Have you seen/tried these 5 gal jugs? Supposed to dump 5 gal/min. I haven’t checked that, but it is fast. I need to really watch when refilling my tractor to prevent an overfill. The jugs have a thicker sidewall too.
IMG_9955.png

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have you seen/tried these 5 gal jugs? Supposed to dump 5 gal/min. I haven’t checked that, but it is fast. I need to really watch when refilling my tractor to prevent an overfill. The jugs have a thicker sidewall too.
View attachment 122357
No I haven't, but even at 5 gpm any small fuel container is still a pain in the butt both in terms of filling and dispensing. I'll continue to use small fuel containers for gas & gas/oil mixes since I don't use much of it, but once the additional tank shows up I'm done with small diesel containers. I can't wait!

Also, those 5-gallon diesel or gas containers are getting ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
No I haven't, but even at 5 gpm any small fuel container is still a pain in the butt both in terms of filling and dispensing. I'll continue to use small fuel containers for gas & gas/oil mixes since I don't use much of it, but once the additional tank shows up I'm done with small diesel containers. I can't wait!

Also, those 5-gallon diesel or gas containers are getting ridiculously expensive.
Once you get that new tank you will really appreciate it. I keep mine in the bed of my pickup truck and refuel the tractor and the pickup from there.

I bought mine last May because I had two trips planned back east and the fuel cost savings from both of those trips paid for the cost of the fuel tank. Since Diesel in Washington State was anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 more per gallon than anywhere East of here I was able to my fuel stops where I could get the best price. I saved quite a bit of money by tracking the cost of fuel where I wanted to stop to refill.

The convenience of having enough fuel on hand to plan a refill when prices are better is a big plus for my budget. Also, the no muss/no fuss of being able to pump fuel with the convenience of a fuel nozzle exactly like the gas station makes the purchase well worth the while.