Diesel can fit

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
I know this is a trivial post, but discovered today that a 5 gallon gerry can of diesel fits perfectly on the step of the L6060. Does require keeping a knee pressed up against the can while using battery pump to fill the tank. Sure beats trying to pour by hand in the cold.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know this is a trivial post, but discovered today that a 5 gallon gerry can of diesel fits perfectly on the step of the L6060. Does require keeping a knee pressed up against the can while using battery pump to fill the tank. Sure beats trying to pour by hand in the cold.
Unimportant general info:
"Jerry" cans were used by the German military in WWII, and their design was then copied by the USA.
German military members were referred to as "Jerries".
Thus the slang name used by our Allied military for the German fuel storage cans was "Jerry cans".

Reactions: 3 users

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
"Jerry" cans were used by the German military in WWII, and their design was then copied by the USA.
Thus the slang name used by our Allied military for the German fuel storage cans was "Jerry cans".
Thinking that's wherec the term Jerry rigged came from as well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
And jury rigged comes from an old nautical term for a cobbled up temporary mast to solve a broken mast problem.

Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The was a fellow who was a diesel fitter. He always came home from work nice and clean, smelling good and had soft hands. His neighbor doubted that he was actually a diesel fitter. So the neighbor followed the fellow to work one day and watched the fellow work. Turns out the fellow worked in a textile factory and inspected women’s undergarments. He’d hold them up, take a look and announce “ ‘dese ‘ll fit ‘er”, and sort them in to the appropriate sized bin.

On my tractors, which have the fuel filler on the top, through the hood, I set the can on a rag and use a cheap D cell power battery to “pump” the fuel into the tank. Getting older is glamorous. But I don’t suppose I’ll have much chance of bumping the fuel tank into a stump or such.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I was doing just fine with fuel cans before lawyers and government forced mfgrs to "IMPROVE" them. Now I spill as much as goes in tank and get a bath.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
A company could have a whole line of products with Middle Eastern troop nicknames.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
And jury rigged comes from an old nautical term for a cobbled up temporary mast to solve a broken mast problem.
I thought that term came from the courts in Chicago, learned something new. :p

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was doing just fine with fuel cans before lawyers and government forced mfgrs to "IMPROVE" them. Now I spill as much as goes in tank and get a bath.
Interestingly the criteria for the fuel can was, could withstand wear, pour well, store conveniently and carry easily. That was 1937. With our government coaching/insistence we've mucked it up several times and continue making it "work".

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Let me guess. The woke crowd will now consider that name racist!
Well,… by ANY definition…it IS pejorative…as is some use of “woke”….. . but since the Nazi Germans were defeated it has been accepted in western vernacular. .

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Agree. Hate trying to juggle a heavy can while trying to depress "safety" valve to allow flow while trying to keep spout on target. I take cap off completely and use D cell battery cheapo pump from Harbor Freight.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Well,… by ANY definition…it IS pejorative…as is some use of “woke”….. . but since the Nazi Germans were defeated it has been accepted in western vernacular. .
Supposedly the term Jerry (to mean a German soldier) was coined in WWI by British troops who thought that the German helmets looked like chamber pots.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have to stand on my front tire to fill up my M59. Makes a lot more sense then filling at ground level. Way to go Kubota!
I have a John Dow 106 gallon fuel storage container but often find myself needing to go old school when fueling up the MX6000. At the house I use a step ladder (one foot on the front tire, one on the ladder), a funnel and remove the fuel container cap to make it go as fast and as safely as possible. When I'm away from the house there's really no option other than to do a balancing act.

I should probably look into good (safe) fueling options when working away from the house. One of those fuel caddy hand pump type of setups. Maybe something like this with the optional rotary fuel pump.

Last edited:

Gaspasser

Equipment
Dec 16, 2023
NH
I have a John Dow 106 gallon fuel storage container but often find myself needing to go old school when fueling up the MX6000. At the house I use a step ladder (one foot on the front tire, one on the ladder), a funnel and remove the fuel container cap to make it go as fast and as safely as possible. When I'm away from the house there's really no option other than to do a balancing act.

I should probably look into good (safe) fueling options when working away from the house. One of those fuel caddy hand pump type of setups. Maybe something like this with the optional rotary fuel pump.

Yep, saw those. Pricey when compared to Jerry can though. Guess I can have convenience or money in my wallet, but not both, lol. As mentioned, raising can up ( step ladder, pallets ) could work with siphon. Or maybe raise can in fel bucket and then siphon with long hose? Build a shelf on a nearby tree and pull up to it? Or go to gym for six months and build up muscle strength?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Fill can 1/2 full
Yep, saw those. Pricey when compared to Jerry can though. Guess I can have convenience or money in my wallet, but not both, lol. As mentioned, raising can up ( step ladder, pallets ) could work with siphon. Or maybe raise can in fel bucket and then siphon with long hose? Build a shelf on a nearby tree and pull up to it? Or go to gym for six months and build up muscle strength?
Get several spare cans.
Fill cans only 1/2 full.
Much easier to deal with.

• Love

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Some things are worth the cost of convenience, and when they reduce the chance of injury it's easier to justify the expense. I'll probably order a couple of those fuel caddys at some point and replace the six 5-gallon diesel containers I haul around in my truck. One transfer pump would be enough, and 50 gallons of fuel for road trips or off property tractor work would be good. I could load the 106 gallon John Dow tank onto a trailer but I simply don't need that much fuel with me.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

I rent a diesel storage tank from my fuel supplier - $100/year for a brand new double walled 500gal tank with electric pump and filter. Not worth screwing around juggling jerry cans, I would need two to fill my tank.