Did you make it through the storms?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Our area and surrounding States got hit by some strong storms last night. I know just across river St. Charles County in Missouri got hit hard and just south of us the Amazon warehouse partially collapsed.

Once the sun comes up, I believe dad and I will be heading out to the farm to see if any damage happened there.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Prayers sent to everyone affected by these storms. I hope everyone makes out ok.

Reactions: 2 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
That's horrible !!!

It has not reached us yet and should be much milder when it gets here in about an hour.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Things are mostly intact here in Southern Indiana this morning. It's raining hard now and the temp is 63°F. I can see a few limbs down in the tree lines. Seems we lost power for a while during the night.

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Couple mini twisters in a couple areas to the south and North of us. But nothing here in our area. Tornado siren was going off for a bit, but the actual area of concern was east of us.

Wife slept wearing her 80lb turban (German shepherd) last night. She doesn't like storms and will wrap herself around my wifes head wedging herself against the headboard. 😄😂😄😂

It's actually not too bad except the whole bed starts shaking 😕😕😕 She doesn't like thunder.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
had 2 funnels and 3 more wall clouds pass right over the house. The two funnels generated some wind but nothing too horrible. Few limbs down but thankfully that's all. I was outside trying to film everything, trying to use the lightning strikes to generate enough light to get good photos. No good.

I know some of us in this general area got a few scares, but it pales in comparison to what those in the NE part of the state (Jonesboro, Monette, etc) had to deal with. I shed a little tear for those in the nursing home and their families at Monette. My girlfriend's sister's ex FIL lives in that home. We haven't heard anything yet at to his condition. I have some kin near Paducah, nobody answering the phone-and I assume the phones are just down. The neighbors said everything is fine right there but a couple blocks away got tore up pretty good.

was an active weather night. I don't like those.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We went out to the farm and no damage out there.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've been watching the news and reports from Mayfield, KY. The devastation is unbelievable and heartbreaking for so many in the area. I lived in Cabot, AR for two years and didn't care for the constant tornado threats. I saw some of the devastation from prior tornados and fortunately never got to experience what Mayfield just went through. I can't imagine the horror so many were subjected to and the overwhelming loss of life and property.

It's never a good time to suffer these kinds of events, but it's particularly rough this time of year.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I knew that as hot as it was here yesterday (82 degrees) something bad was gonna happen somewhere.

Thankfully we came through with only water. My heart goes out to those that are suffering.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
They have updated the death toll at the Amazon warehouse to 6 and they continue to search for more.

NWS stated it was an EF3 tornado with 150 mph winds.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
lived in cabot for 6 months, moved to conway area. I liked cabot. Small town feel, close to everything. Tornado threats? I grew up in Nebraska. I'm used to it.

GF and I at the time had plans to go to Florida on 27 Apr 2014. The night before Mayflower got hit by an EF-4. it was maybe 4 miles from where I was living. Bad night for sure. I went outside and watched it (we lived on the hill overlooking Mayflower) and it was nothing but black. The funnel, was unrecognizable as a funnel. It was a mile wide black shaft. Even the storm spotters weren't 100% if that was a tornado or what. The next morning I got up and we headed out. Had to drive through town. War zone doesn't even describe it. 18 wheelers thrown hundreds of yards off of the I-40. The water in the lake was blown everywhere as it passed over. Pavement pulled up in places. Tree limbs impaled into buildings and into other trees. Pine needles stuck in tree trunks. That takes some force.

Then two years later 20 Apr 2016, got hit again. But I had moved well North by then, nowhere close but it still hit me in the heart knowing that 2 years prior several had lost the battle with mother nature. This one in 16 tracked all the way to Vilonia. @Daren Todd, were you in on that one? Y'all live out there somewhere don't you?

In 2007 (I think it was?) I was at the drag races, participating of course. That was my life for many years. The lady that runs the track, her daughter came rolling around the pit area hollering "there's a tornado coming!! Go to the bathroom for safety!! So, I look at my radar on the phone and sure enough, rotation, headed right towards us. We hauled booty across the pit area (90 acres) to the big bathroom. We get into teh bathroom, about 75 or so of us and I realize that the bathroom is 2x4's with nothing more than 1/4" plywood for walls. It wasn't even anchored to the concrete. By time we realized that we was probably safer in a car than in that bathroom, we scattered. I was behind my dad, walking back across that 90 acres. Bout that time it got real dark and then I seen what I thought was a small rope. Oh boy talk about panic. Dad jumped into his race car and hunkered down, mine was up the way a little further so I got in some guy's cadillac (don't know who the driver was) and by time I got the door shut it was getting real loud, stuff was flying around and hitting the car, so I threw his helmet on. Apparently the guy was a smoker and must have just gotten out of it because it was also quite sweaty. About 20 seconds later, it was over, skies lightened up. Out I came, looking around, found dad, but his car has moved over kinda sideways about 5 foot or so. I had mine parked under a 10x10 pop up canopy that wasn't anchored. Strangely enough, NOTHING of mine was moved, except one of the canopy legs, was pushed up against the R.R quarter panel, put a little crease in it and that was IT. It is minor. I haven't fixed it, and don't plan to. Battle scar. Lots of leaves, and some dirt throwed on it but aside from that stuff I got away unscathed. Dad had a few sticks and of course dirt and grass blowed on his, not a big deal really. It could have been a lot worse. The path of damage was maybe 50-75 foot wide, and the damage was, honestly minimal. The biggest deal was that lightning struck a power line and took out the track timing system, so we were done for the day. The only good thing, they called it a "rain out" and if they rain out in money rounds, everyone left splits the total purse. There were 5 of us left in my class and we split $2100 among all 5 of us. Not a huge payday but I'll take it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
lived in cabot for 6 months, moved to conway area. I liked cabot. Small town feel, close to everything. Tornado threats? I grew up in Nebraska. I'm used to it.

GF and I at the time had plans to go to Florida on 27 Apr 2014. The night before Mayflower got hit by an EF-4. it was maybe 4 miles from where I was living. Bad night for sure. I went outside and watched it (we lived on the hill overlooking Mayflower) and it was nothing but black. The funnel, was unrecognizable as a funnel. It was a mile wide black shaft. Even the storm spotters weren't 100% if that was a tornado or what. The next morning I got up and we headed out. Had to drive through town. War zone doesn't even describe it. 18 wheelers thrown hundreds of yards off of the I-40. The water in the lake was blown everywhere as it passed over. Pavement pulled up in places. Tree limbs impaled into buildings and into other trees. Pine needles stuck in tree trunks. That takes some force.

Then two years later 20 Apr 2016, got hit again. But I had moved well North by then, nowhere close but it still hit me in the heart knowing that 2 years prior several had lost the battle with mother nature. This one in 16 tracked all the way to Vilonia. @Daren Todd, were you in on that one? Y'all live out there somewhere don't you?

In 2007 (I think it was?) I was at the drag races, participating of course. That was my life for many years. The lady that runs the track, her daughter came rolling around the pit area hollering "there's a tornado coming!! Go to the bathroom for safety!! So, I look at my radar on the phone and sure enough, rotation, headed right towards us. We hauled booty across the pit area (90 acres) to the big bathroom. We get into teh bathroom, about 75 or so of us and I realize that the bathroom is 2x4's with nothing more than 1/4" plywood for walls. It wasn't even anchored to the concrete. By time we realized that we was probably safer in a car than in that bathroom, we scattered. I was behind my dad, walking back across that 90 acres. Bout that time it got real dark and then I seen what I thought was a small rope. Oh boy talk about panic. Dad jumped into his race car and hunkered down, mine was up the way a little further so I got in some guy's cadillac (don't know who the driver was) and by time I got the door shut it was getting real loud, stuff was flying around and hitting the car, so I threw his helmet on. Apparently the guy was a smoker and must have just gotten out of it because it was also quite sweaty. About 20 seconds later, it was over, skies lightened up. Out I came, looking around, found dad, but his car has moved over kinda sideways about 5 foot or so. I had mine parked under a 10x10 pop up canopy that wasn't anchored. Strangely enough, NOTHING of mine was moved, except one of the canopy legs, was pushed up against the R.R quarter panel, put a little crease in it and that was IT. It is minor. I haven't fixed it, and don't plan to. Battle scar. Lots of leaves, and some dirt throwed on it but aside from that stuff I got away unscathed. Dad had a few sticks and of course dirt and grass blowed on his, not a big deal really. It could have been a lot worse. The path of damage was maybe 50-75 foot wide, and the damage was, honestly minimal. The biggest deal was that lightning struck a power line and took out the track timing system, so we were done for the day. The only good thing, they called it a "rain out" and if they rain out in money rounds, everyone left splits the total purse. There were 5 of us left in my class and we split $2100 among all 5 of us. Not a huge payday but I'll take it.
You got your timing off on the ones that hit vilonia and Mayflower.

It was April 2011 and April 2014. 3 days shy of 3 years exactly. We had just gotten home from our sons boot camp graduation the day before.

First one hit the west side of vilonia by the old harps grocery.

That one crossed the bypass 2/10 of a mile from my house. Lost 14 mature oaks, a piece of flashing off the house, and the windshield on my truck.

Next door was where they started needing to replace roofs. Had mine replaced 3 weeks before the tornado struck. So needless to say I was freaking out about having to have the roof replaced again. 🙄🙄🙄

Thats also when I lost all respect for most of the people volunteering through the churches to help with the cleanup.

Churches would send folks over to our place to help with the cleanup. Folks would take one look at the amount of work needing to be done and keep on driving. All I was looking for was someone to stack the brush into burn piles.

Two guys cleaned up and took most of the wood in my back yard. They asked what we were gonna do with it. I told them if they wanted it, they could have it. They set up and processed all those trees into firewood. Took them about 6 weeks. The younger of the two guys was 76yo. The older one was 83yo.

2014 was the one that really hammered vilonia. That one wiped out the strip mall next to Keith's where the new Harps grocery now sits, and wiped out the new school being built.

That one crossed crossed the bypass at 6/10 of a mile from my house. All i had from that one was a bunch of sticks to pick up in the yard.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I grew up in Bremen, KY, one of the small towns devastated by Saturday's tornadoes. This is a rural farming community, much of which is in poverty. I live in central KY now (about 2.5 hours east of Bremen, but it brings me to tears to see the damage back home and in other Western KY towns. If you pray, please pray for these areas. If you're able to donate, consider donating in some way. Below is just one way.