Dextron? in my kubota

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
even for a hst tranny?
I can understand with a gear tranny, as they usually take a gear oil like 80-90weight...diff oil.

My L175 is a gear trans but it still uses UDT as prescribed by Kubota. The 80-90 weight applications are getting few because tighter clearances can be used with UDT and still retain all the friction protection for a gear face.
I don't know a Kubota application that uses 80-90 but many gear cases and differentials do.

mattbatson

Sep 16, 2011
Deltona, FL, U.S.
thx for the responses guys, and I dont mean to drag this out and beat it like a dead horse

the UDT at the kubota dealer is 5 bucks a quart, and it takes 14 quarts to change the tranny/hyd on my machine.

that oil change aint cheap.

so, if there is a cheaper alternative that will work just as well...or better in hot temps...than I am all ears.

but, if there is too much risk, than I'll just pay for the good stuff

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Any good brand name atf will be over 3 bucks a quart, the difference is less than 30 dollars! Is it worth it to take the chance?
Ed

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
the UDT at the kubota dealer is 5 bucks a quart, and it takes 14 quarts to change the tranny/hyd on my machine.

that oil change aint cheap.

so, if there is a cheaper alternative that will work just as well...or better in hot temps...than I am all ears.

but, if there is too much risk, than I'll just pay for the good stuff

I did a total UDT flush on my tractor and it was expensive. :eek::( I didn't like the price but as a tech I understand differences in fluid engineering.

The Dex that GM makes works in both a hyd trans application and a gear/chain application such as a "new process" transfer case. This is much like a gear or hyd application of a tractor. If we have a field situation, operator busts a hose etc, then we put Dex in to keep the machine in operation. When it gets repaired later the UDT goes back in the tractor.

THE DIFFERENCE

Well............. there is some slight differences in the additives that the makers use. Tractor UDT is designed for the specific application and enviornment of a tractor and the DEX for GM builds. Mechanically they are not drastically different but I still have not seen a good thermal dissipation comparison of the two. Transmission fluid in general does not dissipate heat as well as engine oil or Antifreeze. The UDT has many similar properties of engine oil which makes me wonder if it dissipates heat better than DEX or not? Since I don't know yet I just went with Kubota UDT.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

better in hot temps.

there is too much risk, I'll just pay for the good stuff
You think that $5 is hard on the wallet. The synthetic oil I use is $10 a qt and my 2 orange babies take 30 gallons to change.

Yes, it works much better in hot temps as well as in the cold.

Since it would cost $60k + to replace them I think not using quality lubricants is to much to risk and that's why I choose to run the best. Even if the fluid is changed at the standard service intervals the oil would last 400hrs in one and 600 hrs in the other. Unless the tractors are being used for serveral hrs every day it will take yrs to build enough hrs to get to the next change interval. Trying to save a few pennies now could cost thousands in the long run.

A well maintained Kubota will last a life time and most likely still be around for our kids to use. I don't just look at the service cost now. The shape it will be in 30 yrs down the road is the reason for doing PM in the first place.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes Neil I do know where Seven Bridges rd is. And yes I think it's great to have someone local on the forum. I'm on main across from beer store.We'll have to get together some time.
The BEER STORE??? Ya never told me you was across from a beer store,,Krist now I have to figuer out where Mountforest Ontario is and find the beer store, an then see if dusty's home if not I ll go back to the beer store and wait,,,lol

WayneJessie

Equipment
B2710HSD
Sep 28, 2009
Asheboro,NC USA
You think that $5 is hard on the wallet. The synthetic oil I use is $10 a qt and my 2 orange babies take 30 gallons to change.

Yes, it works much better in hot temps as well as in the cold.

Since it would cost $60k + to replace them I think not using quality lubricants is to much to risk and that's why I choose to run the best. Even if the fluid is changed at the standard service intervals the oil would last 400hrs in one and 600 hrs in the other. Unless the tractors are being used for serveral hrs every day it will take yrs to build enough hrs to get to the next change interval. Trying to save a few pennies now could cost thousands in the long run.

A well maintained Kubota will last a life time and most likely still be around for our kids to use. I don't just look at the service cost now. The shape it will be in 30 yrs down the road is the reason for doing PM in the first place.
Some folks treat equipment like they do their cars. They trade every few years regardless. I'd say a person of that type would be best served trying to cheap-out of the cost of PM. Me, I keep my stuff until the wheels fall off(then I stick them back on) so I use the very best fluids/filters I can get and change them per fluid analysis. I've been an import auto tech for 25yrs and it's very easy to see the difference in a 15yr old engine that has had the best money can buy and those that were marginally maintained. I just sold my 1981 Yoda truck and it had 640,000 on the original engine & trans. Only the best went in it and it showed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm just glad that at least one other person understands my opinion.

I agree about the trade in. If I didn't plan to keep my equipment but a few years I would go cheap on my service also. I don't even want to think about buying new tractors the way the prices keep going up.

I think Kubota has the best tractors on the market. That's why I bought what I did and I expect them to outlast me. I don't mind doing my part to help make that happen.