Desperately need help! 🙏🏼

Little Mia

Equipment
Compact tractor/front loader
Nov 24, 2023
Phoenix
UPDATE:::.....
So I was able to get it started by futzing with the parking brake 🤦 (ok, wait wait wait... I did check that before, I swear it looked as if it was on. I may be blonde but its not natural so lets go with "half blonde", cause I did think to check it. Just wasn't thorough enough evidently lol).
So, drove it back up to the barn, mucked a few stalls, went to start it & it won't start again only this time I dont even have lights on the dash! 🤯 Now Im really stumped guys 🙁
I got a picture of the model # I added & somebody asked for more detailed pictures but Im not sure of exactly what, so Ill comb through the responses again to see what was needed & will post those too very shortly. Thanks again!!! 🤘🖤🙂
.......[Side note..... I just want to thank all of you who have taken time out of your day to help me out with this. I definitely can't afford for the mechanic to come out & Im dead in the water without a tractor on this property. Im sure some of you saw that I didn't post a picture of the model # + my profile picture & just rolled your eyes lol
Im no mechanic but I do know how to swing a wrench to some degree & Im actually a 2nd year apprentice with the Operators Union. Looks are deceiving, just saying 😜 lol
But seriously, I am hella' grateful for any/all help I can get. As you can see from the update, the saga continues 😒.]

I had to take the battery out of it's "home" for a quick second to read something on the label on the other side of it. While placing the battery back into that snug little opening it calls home, the tractor suddenly shut off.
I assumed I must have knocked a connection loose or something but upon inspection I don't see anything that looks out of place or loose or frayed or broken or even corroded. So I have not a clue what could have gotten knocked loose.

When trying to start it I get no click, no attempt to turn over, no nothing. There are dash lights that light up (the oil pressure one & the glow plug one specifically), but that's it.

Also, its a damn near brand new battery & I put it on the charger for a while before trying to start it again but nothing changed.

I depend on this tractor DESPERATELY and life will be rather hellish without it. Can anybody help me out with some solutions or suggestions? 🙏🏼 Pretty pretty please?
Thanks in advance
- Mia

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
What tractor do you have? Can you take pics of everything around the battery area?

The tractor was running while you were moving the battery?

Little Mia

Equipment
Nov 24, 2023
Phoenix
What tractor do you have? Can you take pics of everything around the battery area?

The tractor was running while you were moving the battery?
Yes, it was running just fine till i shoved it back into that tight little space it sits in under the steering column, than it just shut off.
Its outside & too dark to do anything right now but heres 2 pictures I took earlier today while i was charging it (after it died obviously).
Thank you so much for responding!! I wasnt sure anyone would

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Need the tractor model number, the number on the side of the hood.
You've either disconnected a wire, connector or blown a fuse.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Yes, it was running just fine till i shoved it back into that tight little space it sits in under the steering column, than it just shut off.
Its outside & too dark to do anything right now but heres 2 pictures I took earlier today while i was charging it (after it died obviously).
When you get the chance, take some more detailed pics of the area around the battery as well model number on the hood behind the Kubota name.

The fuse box can be seen in this picture of yours. You might want to pull the cover off and pull one fuse at a time and check if it is blown. After removing and checking, put the fuse back in the same spot it came from.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Looks like an older BX. Maybe BX2350. With an after market loader.

If you took the battery out whilst it was running, and it stopped running, that tells us a bit. And if the dash lights still go, that tells us more.

Diesels don't generally need battery power to run. But they do have a relay that controls the fuel cutoff (so you can turn it off), and it could also be fuel pump. Most likely you've lost power to one of those - because a connection has come loose, or because a fuse has blown.

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter? If so, then would make sense to trace the wires and see if you have power on the fuel solenoid. If you don't know how, then probably someone can walk you through it. But if you have no multimeter, then it's a little harder to diagnose, so it's more about checking wires, wriggling things, checking fuses.

It is unusual that you get no crank though - if there's a fuel issue you'd expect it to crank still. It could be a cutoff from one of the safety switches - perhaps you've nudged the HST pedal forwards a bit, and that cut off the fuel, and also is stopping it from starting? I can't recall all the safety switches on those, but usually a seat switch combined with an HST pedal switch I think? There's also a PTO switch - so if you knocked the PTO lever it'd give those symptoms. If you put the seat all the way up on the steering wheel it should disable the safety switch (that's how you use the PTO for things like a chipper), that could be something to check.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi @Little Mia
When you shoved the battery back in, it's possible some wire shorted (and blew a fuse) or disconnected or just broke. Wires can get brittle with age.

ideas:
If the engine has a solenoid that needs power to keep the diesel flowing, then the engine would quit.
If there is a safety switch on the PTO or elsewhere that needs to be either OFF or ON to start maybe that's it.

Knowing the engine/tractor model/year would help us more.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hi @Little Mia
If there is a safety switch on the PTO or elsewhere that needs to be either OFF or ON to start maybe that's it.

Knowing the engine/tractor model/year would help us more.
This was my thought as well. On my BX 2200 I believe the PTO must be off, the range selector must be in neutral, and maybe the directional pedal must be centered.

I would check these three items to be sure they are in the proper position. Second I would try sitting in the tractor seat and holding the key in the start position, and moving these three items one at a time, and see if the engine started to turn over when any of them were moved.

Most important is that you give specific tractor model information. On my BX there’s a decal on the side of the frame that gives the information. If it’s the same on your tractor, take a picture of the decal and post it here.

edit: On my BX voltage is needed to keep the engine running. So it’s possible yours turning off when you removed the battery is not unexpected.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
[/QUOTE

That picture of a label, shows info for the lOADER ONLY!
The info on that label does not relate to the Kubota tractor itself.

Little Mia

Equipment
Nov 24, 2023
Phoenix
Like I said, I just posted the pictures of what I had taken earlier that day. I work night shift so I just got home. Ill go take a picture of the model # right now, brb.....

Little Mia

Equipment
Nov 24, 2023
Phoenix
This was my thought as well. On my BX 2200 I believe the PTO must be off, the range selector must be in neutral, and maybe the directional pedal must be centered.

I would check these three items to be sure they are in the proper position. Second I would try sitting in the tractor seat and holding the key in the start position, and moving these three items one at a time, and see if the engine started to turn over when any of them were moved.

Most important is that you give specific tractor model information. On my BX there’s a decal on the side of the frame that gives the information. If it’s the same on your tractor, take a picture of the decal and post it here.

edit: On my BX voltage is needed to keep the engine running. So it’s possible yours turning off when you removed the battery is not unexpected.
Lol i didn't REMOVE the battery, I MOVED the battery. So voltage was not removed, not intentionally or knowingly anyway. Thanks

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
More than likely there was an exposed wire caused a direct short. Check the fuses.

A good habit, never remove anything electrical (to include the battery) while the key is in the run position, or when the battery is connected.

Also a good habit, disconnect the battery "Negative" when charging.

When jump starting, I always connect the charger Negative to a grounded point on the vehicle, never the battery itself.

Little Mia

Equipment
Nov 24, 2023
Phoenix
When you get the chance, take some more detailed pics of the area around the battery as well model number on the hood behind the Kubota name.

The fuse box can be seen in this picture of yours. You might want to pull the cover off and pull one fuse at a time and check if it is blown. After removing and checking, put the fuse back in the same spot it came from.

Just got home from work, headed out there now for the pictures. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate your time 😊

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Lol i didn't REMOVE the battery, I MOVED the battery. So voltage was not removed, not intentionally or knowingly anyway. Thanks
Sorry...I thought you meant when your said the battery "was out of it's home" that this meant you removed it...LOL

Anyway, there is always the chance that you had a loose/poor connection on one of the battery terminal clamps or connected wiring...

Good luck in finding a solution to the issue in any case... (y)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When you post the pictures please also share how comfortable you are with any type of repairs or maintenance so we have some idea what we can suggest for you to try. Like would you know how to jump the starter terminals to see if the starter is able to spin the engine?

Reactions: 2 users

pacesetter42

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2022
WV
Similar thing happened to me once... for me, it looked like the PTO lever was turned 'off' but it was like an inch from being actually pulled back all the way. There are a bunch of checks the machine does prior to allowing the engine to turn over. I'm curious too if you're getting lights on the dash. If so, and you're getting no clicks/attempts to start, more than likely one of your safety mechanisms is keeping it from turning over.

Your tractor looks like it's seen a lot of weather so could be a corroded connector somewhere that's not making good contact. Check your levers a bit and work them into their 'off' positions. Next easiest thing would be to check starting fuses. Then you might need to start digging a little deeper. I would guess it's one of those two things cause it was working fine just before taking the battery out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm curious, what was the purpose of removing the battery from it location, especially with the engine running?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think Mia fell asleep after her shift or she got lost on the way to the tractor. :unsure:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Little Mia

Equipment
Nov 24, 2023
Phoenix
Similar thing happened to me once... for me, it looked like the PTO lever was turned 'off' but it was like an inch from being actually pulled back all the way. There are a bunch of checks the machine does prior to allowing the engine to turn over. I'm curious too if you're getting lights on the dash. If so, and you're getting no clicks/attempts to start, more than likely one of your safety mechanisms is keeping it from turning over.

Your tractor looks like it's seen a lot of weather so could be a corroded connector somewhere that's not making good contact. Check your levers a bit and work them into their 'off' positions. Next easiest thing would be to check starting fuses. Then you might need to start digging a little deeper. I would guess it's one of those two things cause it was working fine just before taking the battery out.
Ok so update.....
I was able to get it started & it sure as shit was basically what you suggested. Not the PTO but the parking brake LOOKED like it was on but was barely a half inch away from so a little jiggle of that & we were good to go.
Drove back up to the barn, mucked a few stalls, went to start it again and its not starting but this time I dont even have lights on the dash. Last time I did. Now im REALLY confused