Delivery Disaster

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Why dont you guys pick up your own equipment instead of having it delivered?
The guy in this video slipped on a ramp likely due to it raining and poor visability . If the owner would have guided him off the back instead of videoing, the accident wouldnt have happened probably.
There is no way that I would want to be involved with guiding the tractor off of the delivery truck, because if something goes wrong, then they can blame you for not guiding them properly. I see a lot of equipment being delivered by roll-back trucks, which is a lot easier to offload safely. The only downside to a rollback is the cost versus a cheap flatbed truck with crappy ramps. If you are selling high-end equipment, you should be able to afford to spend the extra on a decent truck and a trained driver.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I used to do that job not with that dealer but with the local one (to me). Easy mistakes to make and a lot of things all happened at once leading up to the accident. "Coulda shoulda woulda" applies here. Sure the delivery guy could have done a few things differently. Throwing a BX on "that" trailer? That's a trailer for larger equipment, much the same as when I was doing deliveries a BX on nearly the same trailer, if it had a belly deck on it, it became much MUCH more challenging to offload and worse when the trailer was wet. A lot of times I'd tell em to pull the deck off and I'd use the loader to lift it onto the trailer in front of the tractor. Deck hangs up on the ramps. Then I'd have to put the deck on at the owner's house. Sometimes there wasn't no room for the deck being off like in this case (RTV on the trailer as well) and in those cases it was never fun.

What bothered me so much about deliveries was that the owner would often say "can y'all deliver it? I ain't got no way to pick it up".....then you get to the delivery site, nice 18' trailer hooked to a pickup truck, but the trailer has firewood or something on it. Owner was just too lazy to offload it. But then the owner gripes because the delivery driver didn't do something the way he would have....you get the idea. I have called some out on that too and that never goes well either but the point was certainly made.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There is no way that I would want to be involved with guiding the tractor off of the delivery truck, because if something goes wrong, then they can blame you for not guiding them properly. I see a lot of equipment being delivered by roll-back trucks, which is a lot easier to offload safely. The only downside to a rollback is the cost versus a cheap flatbed truck with crappy ramps. If you are selling high-end equipment, you should be able to afford to spend the extra on a decent truck and a trained driver.

try running a dealership. It's not as easy as it sounds. A rollback truck is not cheap--figure $100,000 for a so-so one, and $150k for a nicer one. Also finding a competent driver? You will have to pay them VERY well. Tractor dealer delivery driver is not a well-paying job, and it is a high turnover job.

secondly a rollback, a bx offloading, the backhoe frame hits the ground as it's going back. BTDT.

Thirdly now that the dealer has a rollback, he's now a recovery truck in that it is guaranteed that the driver will be asked to winch a dead tractor out of someone's nasty field. I did this. Not with a rollback but I've seen it happen. Owners will oftentimes take advantage of the dealer in one way or another--or at least try to.

In order to have a dedicated rollback and a dedicated driver that will stick around a while, the dealer is going to have to pay them about $25/hr (minimum in this area), pay their insurance in full,3 or 4 wk/yr vacation, sick days, paid holidays, the whole 9 yards, plus also gonna have to pay for that truck....a standard delivery in that case is gonna be $175-$250 to break even. A wrecker service is less expensive. Think about it. CDL is required and CDL-A drivers are in high demand. All an employer's gotta do is piss em off once and they're gone knowing that they can work for anyone else and have work in about an hour after leaving. Seen this happen several times from 2018-2020. I think they went through 8 drivers in that time.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I don't get how people find these videos. I don't have the patience to sit through 22 minutes of some guy rambling on aimlessly and watching shakey-cam.

Reactions: 1 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
"I just don't believe he was 100% focused on the task at hand" - Statement of the year!

C'mon, how many of us knew that when the loader and backhoe went up like antennas, this was going to happen? :rolleyes:

I'm going back to the shop now and change the points and condenser on my L35.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Why dont you guys pick up your own equipment instead of having it delivered?

For me, 4 years ago when I bought my BX23S , free delivery was included. The salesman did it and over the next hour showed me all the knobs, levers and how everything worked, except BH and LDR removal as I said they won't be coming off any time soon. He did send me the link to THEIR video on how those are done though, and offered to come over to tell me how to do it NOT show me. He talks, I handle the controls, best way to learn and remember.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
try running a dealership. It's not as easy as it sounds. A rollback truck is not cheap--figure $100,000 for a so-so one, and $150k for a nicer one. Also finding a competent driver? You will have to pay them VERY well. Tractor dealer delivery driver is not a well-paying job, and it is a high turnover job.

secondly a rollback, a bx offloading, the backhoe frame hits the ground as it's going back. BTDT.

Thirdly now that the dealer has a rollback, he's now a recovery truck in that it is guaranteed that the driver will be asked to winch a dead tractor out of someone's nasty field. I did this. Not with a rollback but I've seen it happen. Owners will oftentimes take advantage of the dealer in one way or another--or at least try to.

In order to have a dedicated rollback and a dedicated driver that will stick around a while, the dealer is going to have to pay them about $25/hr (minimum in this area), pay their insurance in full,3 or 4 wk/yr vacation, sick days, paid holidays, the whole 9 yards, plus also gonna have to pay for that truck....a standard delivery in that case is gonna be $175-$250 to break even. A wrecker service is less expensive. Think about it. CDL is required and CDL-A drivers are in high demand. All an employer's gotta do is piss em off once and they're gone knowing that they can work for anyone else and have work in about an hour after leaving. Seen this happen several times from 2018-2020. I think they went through 8 drivers in that time.
You seem to have covered all the points of (dealership) concern with your comprehensive post. Personally I somewhat disagree with your position for the simple reason that 'delivery' should be seen as an essential part of the deal (was in my case, in many others I well suspect) and as a new tractor 'buyer' who's figuring delivery as part of the deal, I did not even consider possible 'downsides' to delivery. It's a one-time experience for the buyer, as opposed to an every-day exercise for the dealership. IMO, the dealer should view delivery as 'part' of the purchase process, a very important part at that. In my case it seemed that once the paperwork got signed, it was on to the next customer. There were solid aspects to my own delivery process but the overall experience was a shocking letdown for sure.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
There is no way that I would want to be involved with guiding the tractor off of the delivery truck, because if something goes wrong, then they can blame you for not guiding them properly.
A customer is already involved at the point of delivery, it was a very expensive purchase that caused the item to be delivered. Thats your machine, a valuable asset being dropped off. Got to take some responsibility for it. sheeeesh

The guy making the video and complaining never even tried to help the guy with unloading in a difficult situation, until it was too late. Instead he just videod. duhh

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
"I just don't believe he was 100% focused on the task at hand" - Statement of the year!

C'mon, how many of us knew that when the loader and backhoe went up like antennas, this was going to happen? :rolleyes:

I'm going back to the shop now and change the points and condenser on my L35.
Very good point made here, that tractor got loaded onto that trailer by somebody and I could offer a guess as to who that was. No doubt the act of raising both the BH and FEL prior to de-trailering indicated a prior knowledge that those attachments were 'in the way' of the process.

No question that delivery of a NEW tractor such as the one in the video, with the new owner watching, is a very important process. That tractor is not the property of the dealership or the deliverer and there is an expectation of knowledge and professionalism on the part of the deliverer by the buyer.

That video is practically a perfect storm of errors; the kids, the rain, the ramps (looked to be set too wide), etc, etc.

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
You seem to have covered all the points of (dealership) concern with your comprehensive post. Personally I somewhat disagree with your position for the simple reason that 'delivery' should be seen as an essential part of the deal (was in my case, in many others I well suspect) and as a new tractor 'buyer' who's figuring delivery as part of the deal, I did not even consider possible 'downsides' to delivery. It's a one-time experience for the buyer, as opposed to an every-day exercise for the dealership. IMO, the dealer should view delivery as 'part' of the purchase process, a very important part at that. In my case it seemed that once the paperwork got signed, it was on to the next customer. There were solid aspects to my own delivery process but the overall experience was a shocking letdown for sure.
Was there a specific delivery fee on your invoice for the tractor deal?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
AGREED!!!!
The guy in this video slipped on a ramp likely due to it raining and poor visability . If the owner would have guided him off the back instead of videoing, the accident wouldnt have happened probably.
I suspect that this buyer lived a substantial distance from the dealer (Messick's) and did not have a trailer himself.
Free delivery is a meaningful plus on most any purchase.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't get how people find these videos. I don't have the patience to sit through 22 minutes of some guy rambling on aimlessly and watching shakey-cam.
George obviously has patience.;)

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don't have anything that can transport a tractor.
My delivery guy was a skilled young guy, works really hard.
I just say "let me know if you need help", and stay out of the way where he can see me.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A customer is already involved at the point of delivery, it was a very expensive purchase that caused the item to be delivered. Thats your machine, a valuable asset being dropped off. Got to take some responsibility for it. sheeeesh

The guy making the video and complaining never even tried to help the guy with unloading in a difficult situation, until it was too late. Instead he just videod. duhh
Obviously, you haven't a clue as to liability once you start down the road of telling the delivery guy how to do his job or even assisting with his doing his job. Go to any website that sells machinery, and it will tell you that you are responsible for loading and securing the load to your trailer, and they do not offer any help. At best, if the item is extremely heavy they will put it onto your trailer with a forklift and require that you instruct the forklift operator how you want it placed. The property being delivered belongs to the seller until it is successfully delivered to the customer. It isn't the customer's responsibility to direct or otherwise tell the delivery person how to do his job.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I thought the buyer was very understanding of how Messick’s dealt with this problem.

I believe the delivery-guy was an independent contractor… (don’t know if suggested by Messicks …or selected by the buyer)…. but if someone is hired to make a delivery then it’ not delivered…until it is ON the ground at the place of delivery. An exception to that is when delivery requires the buyer to have a method to unload (in which case the buyer participates in the unloading)…OR…the buyer must pay additional for “tailgate” service….in which case the delivery co is responsible for getting it on the ground.

In this video I think it’s pretty evident that the delivery guy was supposed to get it on the ground…and if the buyer participates in any way…the buyer begins to assume responsibility for any participation.

If I’d been the buyer in this situation, I’d ask the girls to stand safely aside, but otherwise keep out of any participation. In any case, the buyer actually DID participate by advising and helping the delivery-guy get the rear window off the machine. I don’t think he assumed any liability otherwise….and correctly let the guy try to correct his own mistakes.

It appears Messicks’s is doing the “right thing”…and the buyer is being very accommodating.
Not sure how much the delivery-service has to pick up the “tab” for the damage.

When I recently had work done on my tractor I used my own 20-foot double-axle trailer, chain and binders…and loaded it up here at the ranch and drove it in and the Dealers’ Svc Mgr stood by and watched me unload it without any input whatsoever. (smart)

He only made a comment after I’d gotten if off the trailer by pointing to where I should park it.

When the work was finished, I arrived with my trailer, and they showed me where my tractor was parked in the service-yard…and where I could park my trailer while I loaded it up. They had zero participation in that… and didn’t even have anyone watch me. (although I noticed the place they assigned for loading had a security camera observant.… again,…smart.)

That’s the way I want it anyway.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Obviously, you haven't a clue as to liability once you start down the road of telling the delivery guy how to do his job or even assisting with his doing his job. Go to any website that sells machinery, and it will tell you that you are responsible for loading and securing the load to your trailer, and they do not offer any help. At best, if the item is extremely heavy they will put it onto your trailer with a forklift and require that you instruct the forklift operator how you want it placed. The property being delivered belongs to the seller until it is successfully delivered to the customer. It isn't the customer's responsibility to direct or otherwise tell the delivery person how to do his job.
lol so if i say hey buddy want me to spot you backing down that ramp since im not doing anything and its a low vis rainy situation and the driver takes me up on it, BOOM i take all liability if anything happens huh? um NO! You guys watched too much Judge Judy or something

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
It’s not even typically the direct parties—it’s usually attorney parasites for the insurance co having to pay out the claim looking for a little quality subrogation…

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
It’s not even typically the direct parties—it’s usually attorney parasites for the insurance co having to pay out the claim looking for a little quality subrogation…
Whens the last time that happened to a customer who helped a delivery guy drop off his tractor?

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Found this yesterday. The cusotmer/videographer is trading his J.D. lawn tractor in on a Kubota Compact-tractor.
I admit being troubled by the presence of kids…but also remember being a single-Dad and needing to work on days my daughter was out of school and taking her with me to work…(she has many air-miles before age 12 sitting in the tail-section.)

This delivery-guy was distracted by them perhaps… but putting them in the truck and/or a safe place with instructions would have rid him of any distractions by them.

Anyway…. What a day for this guy. (I dislike the slow-pace of many intros to amateur videos…
…;if you feel the same..skip to the 4:00 minute mark where the ”delivery” really begins:

Wow.
I saw that coming well in advance. NO excuse for that whatsoever, kids or not. I paused it so I don't know how it turned out, but I know this guy has a ongoing channel, I've seen a vid or two when I first got my tractor.