Delivery Disaster

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Found this yesterday. The cusotmer/videographer is trading his J.D. lawn tractor in on a Kubota Compact-tractor.
I admit being troubled by the presence of kids…but also remember being a single-Dad and needing to work on days my daughter was out of school and taking her with me to work…(she has many air-miles before age 12 sitting in the tail-section.)

This delivery-guy was distracted by them perhaps… but putting them in the truck and/or a safe place with instructions would have rid him of any distractions by them.

Anyway…. What a day for this guy. (I dislike the slow-pace of many intros to amateur videos…
…;if you feel the same..skip to the 4:00 minute mark where the ”delivery” really begins:

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Wow. Just wow!
Can't say if the kids did or didn't have any affect on the drivers actions. Then again, my daughter has helped on race days- 200° tires, 300° engines and 1200° exhaust pipes all while handling volatile leaded race fuel. "Take your kid to work day" was a little different 🤣
But excrement arrives all the time. Could have been visibility that got him. Thankfully the dealer is taking care of him.
Edit- gives a while new meaning to "drive over deck"

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
and it felt like 3 years passed watching that video... sigh.....
bet I'm not the only one that wanted to tell the dude, get out, I'll get it off, it ain't that hard....

too bad the delivery dude didn't SLIDE the ramps TO the tractor, kinda wonder just HOW it got on.....
yup, RAISE the implement to get a HIGHER center of gravity.....
shouldn't have needed to raise the pallet forks....would they not slide out ?
probably a school holiday, so he got the kids.....
don't know HOW he could have seen through the steamed up/ foggy windows....
simple 5 minute unload probably cost dealer 1,000s !!!!!
how the new owner got some compensation for this AVOIDABLE disaster......

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Could have been visibility that got him.

It was stupidity that got him (augmented by laziness). He got the BX down to the edge of the ramps, and didn't get out to check his alignment.

At that point, I would have told him, "When you get it figured out you can load it back on the trailer and take it back to the dealer. Don't even think about leaving it here. Don't even think about setting foot on my property. I'm going inside now to call to let him know that you damaged the tractor by your stupidity, and I'm not accepting a damaged tractor. And I'll tell them you are not to come back here. I want it delivered by someone with a functional brain."

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I saw this video a few years ago and analyzed the problem then. The first thing is that the backhoe shouldn't have been placed straight out, but lowered just enough that it would clear the unloading area. This set the rear of the tractor in an out-of-balance situation since there was virtually no offsetting load on the front of the tractor. The second error is that you can see in the video that the driver of the tractor had turned the front wheels which cause the tractor to move to the left and off of the ramps as he descended down the ramps. The fact that it had been raining and that the ramps were wet didn't help the situation. The ramps were quite slippery as a result of the rain. Those types of ramps are primarily designed for heavy equipment and present a problem with small tires. I don't see the teenager watching the delivery as being distracting. I see this accident as a result of both the rain i.e. wet ramps, and the driver turning the steering wheel that put the tractor on a trajectory to disaster i.e. running off of the ramps.
To make matters worse, the driver wasn't familiar with the operation of the machine and had he positioned the backhoe properly, he could have used it to raise the rear of the machine enough to avoid any further damage to the tractor mower deck. He turned the hoe to the right rather than to the left which would have allowed him to use the bucket to get the machine into a better position for removal.
As a retired EMT, I saw many accidents the main cause of the accident was clearly driver error. Unfortunately, sometimes those errors resulted in a fatality or a near fatality. The good thing about this accident is that no one was hurt, with the exception of the driver's pride in doing his job, and the tractor survived relatively unscathed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I don't disagree that he was pretty dumb about the backhoe extension, etc, but this was not a "center of gravity" accident, this was a simple "missed the ramp" accident.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It was stupidity that got him (augmented by laziness). He got the BX down to the edge of the ramps, and didn't get out to check his alignment.

At that point, I would have told him, "When you get it figured out you can load it back on the trailer and take it back to the dealer. Don't even think about leaving it here. Don't even think about setting foot on my property. I'm going inside now to call to let him know that you damaged the tractor by your stupidity, and I'm not accepting a damaged tractor. And I'll tell them you are not to come back here. I want it delivered by someone with a functional brain."
AGREED!!!!
I find it difficult to understand that Messick's would hire such a person!

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Once they satisfactorily delivered him a new tractor, I built him a set of stabilizers.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
maybe not a 'center of gravity' error , but having that much steel overhead, swaying, can move the tractor and on wet steel ,surely didn't help.
looks like several 'small' things added up to a disaster
couple of broken 1" straps took down a 747 one year, killed all 7 onboard.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
maybe not a 'center of gravity' error , but having that much steel overhead, swaying, can move the tractor and on wet steel ,surely didn't help.
No, it didn't help, but if he had done everything else just right, he still missed the ramp, and the tractor was going down.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
No big deal tractors are supposed to get scratched up and bent. Hope delivery guy got a tip.

• Dislike

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
If it is a 3 year old video, with Covid the owner should be getting the replacement tractor any month now!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Reminds me (regretfully) of my own delivery which was ruined by the delivery person also.

For a first time tractor buyer I was mortified by my delivery person and resolved to never allow him onto my property again. If the same delivery person arrives with my next delivery (which I'm expecting) they can drop it on the street & I'll take it from there.

This video is a good example of how such a delivery should be video'd by the recipient for evidentiary purposes, in the case that delivery damage is inflicted by the deliverer.

I feel sorry for the new tractor owner (he was getting quite a nice delivery package; complete tractor with loads of options, was he also getting the RTV?) but in the latter part of the vid he seemed pretty calm about the experience. Kudos to him 'cuz I woulda lost my sh*t! :mad:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Reminds me (regretfully) of my own delivery which was ruined by the delivery person also.

For a first time tractor buyer I was mortified by my delivery person and resolved to never allow him onto my property again. If the same delivery person arrives with my next delivery (which I'm expecting) they can drop it on the street & I'll take it from there.

This video is a good example of how such a delivery should be video'd by the recipient for evidentiary purposes, in the case that delivery damage is inflicted by the deliverer.

I feel sorry for the new tractor owner (he was getting quite a nice delivery package; complete tractor with loads of options, was he also getting the RTV?) but in the latter part of the vid he seemed pretty calm about the experience. Kudos to him 'cuz I woulda lost my sh*t! :mad:
Why dont you guys pick up your own equipment instead of having it delivered?
The guy in this video slipped on a ramp likely due to it raining and poor visability . If the owner would have guided him off the back instead of videoing, the accident wouldnt have happened probably.