Dealing with Frozen Sand

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Between the Land Pride back blade to keep the margins open and a truck-mounted DR Redi-Plow Plus to push off what piddling amounts of snow weve had so far, Ive been able to keep our roads smooth as silk.

Unfortunately when you get a warm rain and then a freeze, your smooth roads drive like theyve been treated with a Zambnoni. My friend and neighbor almost slid off the hill on what we humorously refer to as “dead mans curve.”

So Ive picked up a Land Pride FSP500 Broadcast Spreader to throw traction sand now (and seed, fertilizer and topsoil in the pasture next spring.)
Problem is, if its wet on a warmer day the sand will form a mound down at the circulator base and stop flowing evenly. If its wet on a cold day, it will freeze.

Anyone found any solutions for keeping traction sand from freezing and also for storing large amounts of it so you dont have to hit the CoOp for a lot of bucks every time you want to sand?

Would mixing salt into the sand work?

Thanks again guys!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Around here, most winter road sand gets mixed with salt to keep it from freezing up. If straight sand is used, usually it is screened when loading into the spreader to remove the frozen chunks.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Like Bap said, mix with salt when you store the sand.

Or maybe buy bags of playground sand? At least it should be dry.

This winter has been horrible. I have never really had to worry about ice up where I am.
It usually goes to freezing temp and stays there before the snow comes.

This year it has snowed while the temps were about freezing, then froze, then rained, then froze, then thawed and rained, then froze. LOL.

Even the poor trees are taking a beating with all the ice on them.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My driveway is short but wide with multiple turnarounds.

I don’t use salt since it really just makes worm holes in the ice and nothing more.

I try to apply sand regularly. It helps as we get snow, and as the stuff melts, I have multiple layers of sand to keep everything from getting too slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I'm lucky to have a friend with a sand pit and fill up about twice a year. I mix with salt and store in a heated garage as needed. It takes about 50Lbs of mixed to get some grip on my driveway, which could be a bobsled run if left untreated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Salted sand up here is a bad idea, it kills too much, really bad for the water table and lakes.
Go to North 40 and get a couple bags of purple heat, magnesium chloride, it's a fertilizer and pet safe.

It has a better melt point than salt anyways. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like you go through a lot so build a 'sand shed'. 3 solid walls and a roof, with tarp 'door' on the open gable end. A 9by12 costs about $500 Canucks, 2by4s,plywood,tin roof. Put down a foot of 3/4 CLEAR gravel, then dump COARSE sand on top. Depending on when you buy the sand,it may take months to dry it, but on dry it's EASY to use. If you can place access door on southern end, so Mr. Sun dries up the wet sand faster.
Up here 'big boy' sand sheds are open to the south. Something you never see or think of,until someone points it out....

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Salted sand up here is a bad idea, it kills too much, really bad for the water table and lakes.
Go to North 40 and get a couple bags of purple heat, magnesium chloride, it's a fertilizer and pet safe.

It has a better melt point than salt anyways. ;)
This is what I don't understand here in this day of environmental concern.

I live right in the middle of three of the Great Lakes. All our roads and highways run alongside bodies of water. And they pour so much salt on the roads it is sickening. So much infact, that once it melts the snow and ice, they look like white gravel roads with inches of salt still sitting.
It rots out all your vehicles and between it and the de-icing liquids they mix with it, you drive a couple miles and your headlights are rendered useless because it turns to cement on them.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
yup...salt is real cheap AND it makes for LOTS of car sales...the heck with the environment !!! ALL the concrete bridges need to be replaced too !
It's too bad they don't use beet juice. Farmers would make money, roads/bridges safe and fish wouldn't die....
Someone FINALLY figured out why salt water fish are liking Lake Ontario !!
Oh well... it's a 'follow the money' thing.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
That's the sad part. They have proven stuff that has shown to work better, that is better for the environment, won't hurt vehicles and infrastructure, and benefit farmers.

I used to haul salt to the MTO yards every winter, but they want you haul it for free, so don't do that any more. Better off to let the truck and trailer sit in the yard rust free for the summer construction season.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
yup...salt is real cheap AND it makes for LOTS of car sales...the heck with the environment !!! ALL the concrete bridges need to be replaced too !
Not good for steel bridges either.

You can't plant white pines close to the roads around here as the road salt kills them in a couple of years. My neighbor has a row of stumps to prove it.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I live very near BAP and agree the thing to do is mix some salt in with the sand. That's how every DPW and DOT for the state treat their sand to prevent freezing.

I hate the use of salt for its impact on steel, namely vehicles. I think the environmental impact, however, is pretty overstated. For the tens of thousands of tons of salt dispersed on to the roads in my area, you see only a small patch of dead grass in the spring on the road edges, and by mid summer these have recovered with lush green grass. As for impact on water...we certainly aren't seeing masses of dead fish washing up...far from it. And we use as much or more salt in the northeast then anyone.

Beet juice doesn't freeze...but it also doesn't "melt" ice.

A few communities including my own are trying a salt slurry mixed with molasses. The idea is that the molasses sticks the salt to the roadway instead of it washing to the edges and needing a new application. This reduces salt consumption, and the molasses mix is less corrosive to steel.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
just one hit from googling 'salty lakes in Ontrio'

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/some-southern-ontario-waterways-now-as-
salty-as-the-ocean-wwf-canada-1.4474422

Sadly liberal sheeple believe the salt used in winter just 'goes away', no harm... but now some are FINALLY seeing and reading that it is harmful to the environment. I suppose that can afford to buy new cars every 5 years don't have to care and perhaps there's 'job security' for a select few.

I had to dig/run 300' of tile to get some road salt water through my property as 1/4 of it will NOT row veggies anymore. Wish I could afford 24" culverts to have 100% of the salt bypass my land though. Even 12" would be 9X better.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
just one hit from googling 'salty lakes in Ontrio'

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/some-southern-ontario-waterways-now-as-
salty-as-the-ocean-wwf-canada-1.4474422

Sadly liberal sheeple believe the salt used in winter just 'goes away', no harm... but now some are FINALLY seeing and reading that it is harmful to the environment. I suppose that can afford to buy new cars every 5 years don't have to care and perhaps there's 'job security' for a select few.

I had to dig/run 300' of tile to get some road salt water through my property as 1/4 of it will NOT row veggies anymore. Wish I could afford 24" culverts to have 100% of the salt bypass my land though. Even 12" would be 9X better.

I'm a little dubious road salt is the cause of such a problem...after all, it is only used about 4 months of the year. Most bodies of water have stream or river outlets which purge contaminants along and eventually the salt should end up in the ocean.

I'm all for eliminating salt, though. I'd be very happy to just have the road crews use sand.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
bin here 33 years, 2 year ago they regraded/paved the road , so 1,000s of gallons of BRINE, flow through the field weeekly....the ONLY difference IS the salt water ...

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Just saw it again on the farm channel here.....it is grape extract solutions Washington State just tested. They said it melts ice faster than salt and chlorides and is safe for infrastructure.

KTOY

Equipment
B9200 hst, Case 580SL
Jun 20, 2019
Brookfield, NH
Just saw it again on the farm channel here.....it is grape extract solutions Washington State just tested. They said it melts ice faster than salt and chlorides and is safe for infrastructure.
I have a gravel driveway and don’t really care about melting ice. I don’t believe the grape juice helps with tire grip does it? Toss an electric blanket over the sand pile.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Soon the grape extract solutions will find their way to the inside of tires to compete with beet juice. What's next?